• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matjes Herring in Bergen County?

jtphjl

Although Herring is not hard to find in northern NJ, Matjes Herring seems to be avoiding me...I found an on line source (Germandeli.com) however, does anyone know of a local source?

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

• 2 weeks later...
Although Herring is not hard to find in northern NJ, Matjes Herring seems to be avoiding me...I found an on line source (Germandeli.com) however, does anyone know of a local source?

Don't know about 'Bergen' area or other, but Matjes are only available during the month of May, imported from Holland. Google it at that time and places will show up

Peter

Matjes Herring is almost always available at Petak's in Fair Lawn. They go for about $2.50/filet, and they will cut it up and add some lovely marinated onions for free. (This is the reddish-colored herring in the tangy wine sauce).

Petak's

19-03 Fair Lawn Avenue

Fair Lawn

201-797-5010

(Just off Rte. 208)

Closed Saturdays...

Matjes Herring is almost always available at Petak's in Fair Lawn.  They go for about $2.50/filet, and they will cut it up and add some lovely marinated onions for free.  (This is the reddish-colored herring in the tangy wine sauce).

Petak's

19-03 Fair Lawn Avenue

Fair Lawn

201-797-5010

(Just off Rte. 208)

Closed Saturdays...

the same for teaneck at ma adan on cedar lane

do you want fresh fish matjes or the salted/pickled that is availble in most kosher appetizing stores

my aunt of blessed memory loved matjes herring and potatoes

I never thought of Petaks...damn that would have been so close! I did try Teaneck-no luck...-matjes herring and potatoes is exactly what I am making - I was looking for fresh herring with the intention of soaking it in buttermilk etc... I ordered it from German.deli.com and got killed with shipping cost - last week discovered Piast - tiny store / market / butcher in Garfield - small strip mall along the Passaic River with an amazing selection of Polish sausage, ham(s), any pork product - please if anyone has insight on polish sausage - give details! This place must have had 30 types of sausage, hot meals ready to go -- you walk in and breath deep. They had matjes at a fraction of the price I paid.

The line was out the door!

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

In addition to Petak's, Ikea in Paramus has a little food section with terrific imported specialties from Sweden, and they have about a dozen types of herring there. I think the name "Matjes" must be Scandinavian, so these might fit the bill. Some great stuff at this Ikea food section...

Matjes Herring comes in many varieties. The most popular traditionally featured in NYC area is the"Matjes Herring in Wine Sauce".

I order this in 3 pound tins Fillleted in Wine Sauce from Norway. The best place at a reasonable price generally is from, "Russ & Daughters" but I have also seen it at "Zabar's" on the West Coast I order it from the "Los Angeles Smoked Fish Company".

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

sorry for the delay - yes 800 River is correct -- at the end of the strip mall is a tiny, closet size bakery (Garlfied Bakery) also Polish -- on the day I was there it was pretty much picked over (A wed. at 2:00) but I hear the lne Christmas week was out the door. I was told about Potonia Makery on Monroe Street near the intersection of Hope, just off Route 21 -- I was coming from Hackensack by a driver who "knew the back roads" I was so car sick by the time we arrived from every side street south of route 4 -- but it was worth it -- Babka's - I bought cheese and never had a bite of it, but did try a friend's chocolate - butter and chocolate to die for! They also had homemade pieroggies ($12.00 dozen) variety of flavors, I picked up a popyseed like struddle, of course it has a real name, once again a Polish interpreter would be ideal!

Again sorry for the delay,

Jan

- Elaine Boosler