• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soup Kitchen International (Merged w/"Soup Nazi")

aser

So winter cold is creeping up and that means we can get some soup from the soup nazi. I checked the site to make sure if they've opened (been burned before). It still doesn't say anything, so I'm wondering if it has indeed re-opened yet.

http://www.soupkitchenintl.com

If it's not, then any other options for a good lobster bisque? Hale & Hearty?

Edited by aser (log)

"The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole

To be precise, it says:

We will post on this site a week before

Reopening

No post, hence no reopening yet, I figure. What has his seasonal opening and closing routine been in past years?

By the way, it's interesting that he wants to franchise. Any eGullet members interested?

http://www.soupkitchenintl.com/franchising.htm

Michael aka "Pan"

yeah I saw the listing, hence why I included the url. Just wanted to make sure since they "never" update that site. Generally they re-open by October, but it's December already. This is unusually late for him, perhaps the latest he has remained closed ever. That's why I wanted to double check and ask.

"The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole

I see. So did he franchise already?

Also, is the soup really fabulous? I've never been there. Interesting how much his personality comes across on the website.

Michael aka "Pan"

Why bother waiting for this place when Hale & Hearty is open all year 'round? Hale & Hearty soups are fabulous!! Been going to the one on Lexington off 64th for a while now, and was pleased to see a new branch of H & H open just across from Zabar's on the East side of Broadway near 81st. My favorite is Yellow & Green Split Pea, but really, ALL the soups here are extraordinary!

Some of the GREAT Hale & Hearty "soups of the day":

Spinach, Mushroom & Leek

Senegalese Chicken

Roasted Vegetable Chowder

Crab Asparagus Bisque

This is definitely Soup Heaven!!

I believe that they also deliver-- great on a snowy day!!

Anybody been to the new branch on the UWS across from Zabar's?

• 10 months later...

Now that the weather is beginning to turn a little cooler, soup is on my mind! I have yet to try the Soup place in NYC that is featured on the show Seinfeld (The Soup Nazi Episode). Is there already a thread on this that someone can point me to? If not, what is this place like, when is it open and where is it? Is it really worth the trip and what soups are the best. Thanks!

Now that the weather is beginning to turn a little cooler, soup is on my mind!  I have yet to try the Soup place in NYC that is featured on the show Seinfeld (The Soup Nazi Episode).  Is there already a thread on this that someone can point me to?  If not, what is this place like, when is it open and where is it?  Is it really worth the trip and what soups are the best.  Thanks!

Unfortunately, the Soup place has closed down. Word is that the "Soup Nazi" is trying to market a line of canned soups.

That said, I started working around the corner from his former joint right before he closed two years ago for the year. I tried the Seafood Chowder, the Lobster chowder/bisque, and some other seafood cream soup. It really was quite good but at $10/container, it was a once in a while treat.

Now that the weather is beginning to turn a little cooler, soup is on my mind!  I have yet to try the Soup place in NYC that is featured on the show Seinfeld (The Soup Nazi Episode).  Is there already a thread on this that someone can point me to?  If not, what is this place like, when is it open and where is it?  Is it really worth the trip and what soups are the best.  Thanks!

Unfortunately, the Soup place has closed down. Word is that the "Soup Nazi" is trying to market a line of canned soups.

That said, I started working around the corner from his former joint right before he closed two years ago for the year. I tried the Seafood Chowder, the Lobster chowder/bisque, and some other seafood cream soup. It really was quite good but at $10/container, it was a once in a while treat.

I lived around the corner for year and its sad now that it is closed....in fact, he never came back last year so its been closed a while. It was previously a storefront on 55th b/t bway and 8th. Ive seen him yell at people and take bread away from them just like the show.....no kidding. Truth is, Al is a pretty nice guy. I went almost every saturday (he was open) for years and he got to know me and alway gave me one size bigger for the same price or at the end of the season would give me some frozen soup for the summer. Its true he is beginning to franchise and i heard there is gonig to be a new store around the times square area. Youll also be able to get his soups in some stores (not sure which ones). As far as the soup I thought it was great. Yes it was little expensive and sometimes slightly salty but any of the places in the city (hale and hearty, soupman, etc) are of absolute no comparison. You always (well, i did) got bread, fruit and chocalate and it was truly a meal. My favorite was the chicken/turkey chili, the mushroom barley and the occasional eggplant parmesean. I enjoyed the bique and seafood chowder (where there were big chucks fresh of lobster and shrimp) I dont like the cream based as much as the other. My wife swears by the gazpatcho....which he would make when it started to get warmer.

I hope he turns up again b/c right now theres "NO SOUP FOR ANYONE"

RM

• 2 weeks later...
the original location might be gone but the flagship store will open on Nov 2. Its located on 42nd St between 5th and 6th Ave.

More info here

http://www.originalsoupman.com/

Also there's going to be franchises all over the U.S. I think the first one opened @ Roosevelt Field Mall.

okay folks. I was walking to a Diwali party last night (Indian New Year....whole different thread) and what do i run accross.....the grand opening of the original soupman store on the corner of 42nd and 5th (southeast corner). Anyway, while Reggie (mr october) Jackson was inside serving the food, Al was no where in sight. I magaged to weasel myself into the line for free soup and got a try of the Lobter Bisque, and Muligatany (two of Al's standbys) but they had no chili (turkey, chicken or otherwise). I have to say i was not impressed. It was not the same soup I ate every saturday for the last 6 years. The bisque was too think.....it dropped off the spoon as opposed to run off the spoon. The muligatany seemed to full of veggies (not enough liquid) but this may be due to reggie not pouring the soup well. The bread is not even close to what he served over on 55th street and while they had Al's little chocalate squares out for people to take it was unclear whether you will get the little fruit plate that Al is famous for giving. Even though it was a store you can walk in (as opposed to a storefront like on 55th) there was no where to sit....not sure if there will be when things settled down but it doesnt seem like there was a lot of room anyway. They are also doing the overplayed, overdone and 5 years ago create your own salad. I cant beleive Al agreed to this as he is a soup guy through and through and it is such a sell out move. I guess the people who cut the deal with him realized they cant make money just on soup. The good news is the prices are down a little (no longer 9 bucks) to around 6 bucks a soup to make it more accesable.

The people i talked to all told me that Al has been very strict with the soup and is checking each one before it is sent out. I beleive that but i also beleive he needs to train these people on how to keep it hot and liquidy. Al was always fixing the soups on 55th, dumping some type of liquid in there and mixing. I always wondered what it was but im concerned the soup at these franchise places will not be able to give the care that Al's soup deserved. I guess well see. Ill be going a bunch over the winter and will report back.

Love to hear anyone elses thoughts.

RM

• 1 month later...

I was very excited when I heard he was moving to 42nd street as I work on Times Square. Expecting the lines would follow him, I waited until a day when I was taking an off-peak lunchtime and wandered down to check it out. I have to say I was very disappointed.

First and foremost is the soup. I mean, if the soup isn't great, everything else is just window dressing. And the soup wasn't great. I used to go to his old place and, despite being out of work at the time, spent rather a lot for his soups because they were just that good. His new stuff is just okay, but not worth the money or the walk. He had three different bisques, but it's hard to make a big bowl of hot cream taste bad, so I went for something that required a little more skill, the chilli. All I can say about it was it was just okay.

Now, let's talk about the rest. He's got salads. Whoopee. There's an indoor portion so your last few minutes on line are indoors. Yay. Instead of Al's stern face there are a handful of chipper young people serving up your food and very loosely and gently enforcing the rules (have money ready, move to the left.) I've only lived in this town for just over two years and already I'm kind of immune to whether the counter people are friendly or not.

The thing that struck me most is how touristy the place has become. There are soup man t-shirts and mugs and he has TVs up on the walls so patrons can watch his interviews. And every interview seems to deny that his fame is based on Seinfeld or that he is a phenomenon of the show. It seems the strategy is to call attention to the Seinfeld angle by denying, which is a good strategy, just a little transparent.

So Al has made his shift from purveyor of damn good soup to tourist attraction. I doubt we'll see midwestern families trading in their "I Heart NY" t-shirts for "I heart Soup Nazi", but I'll be spending about as much time there as I do at the top of the empire state building.

Oh, and a final note, they still give a piece of fruit with your order. I got a crab apple so tiny that I wouldn't have bothered throwing it at anyone when I was a kid. I took a picture of it to send to a friend and put it next to a quarter for scale - they were about the same size.