• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 3 Igor Larionov Select Wines

geo t.

Yes, Igor Larionov, the great ex – Detroit Red Wing has gotten “in the biz.” He and Mike Davis of A.H.D. Vintners in Warren, Michigan have partnered in a venture they call the Triple Overtime Wine Company, with the intent of exporting Australian and California wines to Switzerland and Russia, with some limited distribution in Michigan. You can read lots more in my Gang of Pour feature entitled A Hattrick in Triple Overtime, if you’re so inclined; here are my notes on Mike and Igor’s first three offerings.

2002 Hattrick Napa Red Wine, 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 12% Cabernet Franc, $50, 14.2% alc.: Made by Miner Family Vineyards for Triple Overtime, this ruby dark garnet colored Bordeaux blend is sourced mostly from the Oakville AVA, and includes some fruit from the Stagecoach Vineyard; only 211 cases were produced, with 28 slated for the domestic market, and the rest headed to Switzerland and Russia. It exudes a pretty bouquet of perfumed red currant, black cherry and cassis that follows through in the flavors, gaining a little sweet spice and a touch of chocolate, on an elegant, medium full bodied frame. With silky tannins, good acidity and a nice long finish, this is already very approachable, and indeed, a pleasure to drink, especially with some extended air, but five years and more in the cellar will reward those with patience.

The two Triple Overtime Shiraz were made by Kevin Mitchell of Kilikanoon Wines, in Australia's Clare Valley.

2002 Triple Overtime Barossa Shiraz Reserve, $37-40, 15% alc.: No Aussie ooze monster this, but rather a balanced glass of Shiraz with a nice sense of proportion; dark garnet in color, it shows perfumed aromatics of blackberry and black currant, with hints of chocolate and tar. The concentrated flavors echo without being over the top; Kim would describe it as being "eminently drinkable." You can drink it now, or you can drink it two or three years down the road; either way, you'll have yourself a delicious, satisfying Shiraz. 800 cases produced, with 100 cases for the Swiss market, 80 cases for Michigan and the remainder for Russia.

2002 Triple Overtime South Australia Shiraz, $20-21, 14.5% alc.: One taster described this ruby dark garnet as "very peppery and cherry - like," and I wouldn't disagree; the peppery quality is quite evident, especially on the palate. Though not as concentrated as the Reserve, this is also nicely balanced, with black cherry and blackberry flavors and aromas shaded with a little chocolate and the afore - mentioned pepper. Made from Clare Valley and Barossa fruit, this is a "tweaked" version of Kilikanoon's Killerman's Run Shiraz, according to Davis, with an added component to the original blend, and is very nice for drinking now and over the next few years or so. 1,500 cases made, with 100 cases for the Swiss market, 222 cases for the Michigan market and the rest for Russia.

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.

George Heritier aka geo t.

The Gang of Pour

:biggrin: ...Coop...if Larionov was a "thief" I hate to think of how you would describe his linemate Krutov :raz:

Mind you he did end up looking like quite the advertisement for dining out in Vancouver....of the three on the famed "KLM" line I thought Krutov would have fit in the easiest into the NHL style of play...shows what I know about hockey!

When he played three lacklustre years for the Canucks.

As a fan, I guess I can understand your bitterness. Igor told me that he had difficulty adjusting in Vancouver, but his 3rd season was actually quite respectable, with 21 goals and 44 assists.

He had no such difficulties in San Jose, especially when the Sharks knocked off the Wings in the 1st Round in '94.

Happily, he was hitting on all cylinders during most of his time here in Detroit, as the 3 Stanley Cups prove.

George Heritier aka geo t.

The Gang of Pour