• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mom's in Hawaii, what should she bring me?

OK, I've got the alae salt. So what should I do with it?

When we were at Helena's on Oahu [Helena’s Hawaiian Food, 1240 North School Street ] (the James Beard winner for regional cooking) they served a small bowl of the alae salt with fresh cut sweet Maui onions. You dip a small piece of the onion into the salt and eat. Wonderful combination of flavors!

Edited by Bfson (log)

Bob Foster, San Diego

• 2 weeks later...

Rachel:

Aloha.

I would use the Hawaiian salt on anything that you use salt on.

I use it to sprinkle on steaks before I grill them or a chicken before I roast them.

It's salt.......but as it is from here, that makes it special.

Enjoy it.

wabi

• 1 month later...
OK, I've got the alae salt. So what should I do with it?

you could sprinkle it on poke, it gives it a nice crunch!

Just bumping this thread to say that my boyfriend returned from Hawaii the other day with a couple of pounds of the alaea salt and some herb-spice mixtures with alaea and sea salt, from Classic Hawaiian Kitchen and Island Import Co. Got them all in supermarkets.

I don't usually bother with proprietary salt-spice mixtures but these are pretty tasty, and striking in appearance. I put some on plain broiled fish and really liked it. The pink salt is lovely and we will certainly be having it on poke and with onions, as well as cucumbers and other salad-y things. All this stuff is inexpensive and definitely worth picking up when you see it.