• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Secret Japanese BBQ place

Chris Cognac

I will be checking first to see what the deal is of course in fact I am having breakfast this weekend to discuss it. I have to mention this...why the hell am I defending myself for wanting to eat some dinner and share it with my friends from e gullet whom get together to share dining experiences in the L.A. area. We only gain by our open mindedness and willingness to experience other cultures through foods.

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

• 4 weeks later...
Yo people, is this still happening?

I would take off of work and drive down to LA for that.

I'm Japanese (well, sort of), but I speak Japanese like a milk deprived two year old so most Japanese people think I'm mentally challenged. Maybe I could get us in on pity?

umetaro, welcome to eGullet...great avatar by the way...yes its still going to happen. I dont know how many seats we will be able to get, might be the end of the month. Myself and Muffin210 are working on it....

Hiya, thanks for the welcome. The avatar is my cousin's fat headed kid.

So how many are going so far?

I found out what the name of the place is. Totoraku.

http://www.chowhound.com/california/boards...ges/126310.html

http://www.chowhound.com/california/boards...ges/126002.html

http://shop.pulgogi.net/archives/usa_losangeles/

here's a loose translation of what that says:

someplace quite far from the center of downtown LA is a lunch place or something.

from the outside looks nothing like a store that is often spoken of. I was surprised by the deliciousness of meat, it is comparable to that you would be served in japan

the first time i went there [this was in the period beforei last went back to japan]

to import beans(?) i went there to eat. it seems that the owner does business exclusively based on word of mouth. it's a small hole-in-the-wall that exists without publicity or marketing. if you're ever in LA certainly please drop by.

what's funny (or sad depending on how you look at it) is i had to get my korean friend to translate that for me.

Yeah, from what I've heard, the only "secret" thing about it is that they don't want to spend money on advertising. That is also the case with the "secret" Japanese bakery near my house. (Cream Pan in Tustin, awesome flan for $2, the best in the county IMHO)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

We will see...when Muffin210 gets back from Hawaii we will set a date and Yuki from FujiTV can make the reservations.....I thought we were going to be able to get Alton to come, but he has to fly to Texas after her book signing.

Hey, I'm from Hawaii. The Sasabune on Oahu is fricking sweet. Way better than the one in LA. In fact, I was just at Nozawa the other week and I'd say it's even better than that shrine. It's actually the only place for really good sushi on the whole island.

We will see...when Muffin210 gets back from Hawaii we will set a date and Yuki from FujiTV can make the reservations.....I thought we were going to be able to get Alton to come, but he has to fly to Texas after her book signing.

Thanks again for setting this up. No moving to Houston for you!

By the way, when I said that the only thing "secret" about this place is that they don't really spend money on advertising, that wasn't like a diss. When I read my statement again, I thought it could be perceived as a diss but I swear it wasn't meant to be. I just want to show that we're not breaking any rules here by mentioning it on a public forum, and perhaps we're actually helping them. Also, I think it shows their strength that they can survive on word of mouth alone. Cream Pan in Tustin definitely can survive on word of mouth alone, that place rocks.

--NeroW

When are you guys going?

Muffin210 is going to Hawaii, we have to wait till she gets back, and then Yuki from FujiTV has to go cover the Michael Jackson (he is so guilty) trial for Japanese news...we might be able to slide between those dates....we will see....who would have thought it would be so hard!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Cream Pan in Tustin definitely can survive on word of mouth alone, that place rocks.

What and where is Cream Pan? I am trying to get familiar with the greater LA area, as I moved my permanent residence down south this last year.

Sorry, almost missed this.

Cream Pan Bakery

602 El Camino Real

Tustin, CA 92780.

Phone : 714-665-8239

Cream Pan website someone just found for me. thx!

Others love the scones, buns, breads, croisssants, etc. I do too, but here is the main reason why I go here and clean them out whenever I get the chance.

gallery_9978_642_1106195550.jpg

It doesn't look as rich and creamy in the pic as it does in person. And it's $2!

--NeroW

Others love the scones, buns, breads, croisssants, etc.  I do too, but here is the main reason why I go here and clean them out whenever I get the chance.

gallery_9978_642_1106195550.jpg

It doesn't look as rich and creamy in the pic as it does in person.  And it's $2!

Hmmm..I will have to stop there on my way to Idyllwild. If you happen to be there when I am, then I am the woman trying to clean them out before you can ge to it. That looks like it is right up my alley. :biggrin:

Hey, if you're in L.A., don't drive all the way down to Tustin. In the website, it says that there's an L.A. location.

By the way, I go here on Saturday afternoons. They close at 4pm, so get there early.

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

• 2 years later...