• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmington, CT

Helena Robinson

We usually stay at the Farmington Marriott when we're heading for New Hampshire for selected weekends, and have had dinner at The Grist Mill.

We're looking for some place different for our Farmington dinner at the end of the month.  If anyone knows of a suitable place about 15-20 minutes from the Marriott, we'd love to hear about it!

Thanks!

Doesn't the Connecticut Culinary Institute run a restaurant in or around Farmington? I've not heard much about it, but it might be worth a look.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Hi Helena -

I get up there occasionally on business. Farmington is about ten minutes south of Avon, and 20 from Simsbury. Several places in the area you might consider are

Avon Old Farms Inn dining room in Avon. (Also a fine inn, I understand, but I haven't stayed there)

Hop Brook Tavern in Simsbury on US 202. Not special, but a nice steak place. Simsbury executive inn is a few minutes away on 202. Clean, cheap

I've had excellent rib platters at Brannigan's (best ribs in CT, they say) at the I-84/Plainville/CT10 junction. It's just south of the freeway, up on the hill (SE quadrant of the interchange). It's about five minutes from Farmington.

US 202 runs parallel to, and about 10 miles west of I-91 in the Simsbury area. The airport connector brings you back to I-91.

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 2 months later...

A little late for your Feb. trip, but next time try Ristorante Italia (Route 10, Avon/Simsbury line) or Toshi (Japanese, same location) or Buon Appetito in Canton (small, you better like garlic and you better call ahead).  A little fancier is Apricots, in Farmington, on the Farmington River.  Good luck.

Gavnich--what do you like about these restaurants, how interesting is the food and how fairly are they priced?  Is there a standout with a more romantic ambience among all the ones discussed? I drive to NH too and have to be prepared.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I would also recommend Apricots.  The upstairs is a fancier higher priced menu with a lovely atmosphere but the downstairs is a more casual pub type fair.  The make a great burger.  You may also want to venture into West Hartford Center.  You can't go wrong at Briccos, Max Oyster Bar or Grants. These places are not romantic but they are hip and the food is very good.  :biggrin:

Chuck's Steak House gets my vote for a low-key meal.  Excellent steaks, but stay away from, in my experience, the 'prepared' ones - those with sauces/spices, etc...go for the plain meat and you won't be disppointed.  Excellent drinks/good bar.  Downtown Farmington.  

Italian family dining - Pagliacci's in Plainville, though there's no place to relax while you wait to be seated...right on Rte. 10.

• 1 month later...

hi,,,

next time your in the area try Caveys restaurant in manchester,,,its about 15--20 minutes from the marriot. its two restaurants in one,,,the ground floor is northern italian celebrating 70 years!). its a more casual restaurant then the more formal french restaurant in the basement. the food service and atmosphere in both is outstanding! voted best overall restaurant in the state many times! its worth the trip!

hi,,,

next time your in the area try Caveys restaurant in manchester,,,its about 15--20 minutes from the marriot.  its two restaurants in one,,,the ground floor is northern italian celebrating 70 years!). its a more casual restaurant then the more formal french restaurant in the basement. the food service and atmosphere in both is outstanding! voted best overall restaurant in the state many times!  its worth the trip!

Somehow it's good to hear "Cavey's" is still in business. And at it's quality yet. The first time I set food into this downstairs French Restaurant, was in 1972. Visited many times, but not later than 1977. At that time it was THE place. Don't really know how good it is now. :unsure:

Peter

• 7 months later...

Had an excellent simple Sunday lunch for two at Apricots. A full menu is available. Bread basket included freshly-baked muffins. Soups (Tomato Vegetable and Clam Chowder) both had distinctive homemade touches as well. We both had sandwiches - a Reuben and a Burger - that were well-garnished with pickle, great slaw and tomato slices that were unbelievably tasty for February. The rye bread on the Reuben was excellent, and the burger on a toasted Portugese bun. Passed on dessert, but the listing seemed very strong. Service was warm and friendly on a bitter cold day. Tab was only about $30, with tax, tip and one beverage each. Hope to try it for dinner. We ater downstairs. At dinner, the upstairs dining room is open and is fancier. The restaurant is right on Farmington Avenue, close to the Unionville line.