• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spoilage of Cooked Chicken

rajsuman

Hi,

A couple of weeks back I made this garlic and lemon roast chicken, which was pretty delicious, if I say so myself. The next day, I had some of it in a sandwich made with superb roasted garlic bread, bought from a baker half an hour's drive from my home. I froze the rest of the chicken, saving it for more such sandwiches when I could lay my hands on the bread. I got the chicken out of the freezer and into the fridge on Wednesday the 1st, thinking I would be able to buy the bread on Thursday. As it happened, I never got around to buying the bread until today - now I'm not sure about the chicken. It smells and tastes alright, but I want to be sure that it isn't spoilt.

TIA,

Suman

Hi,

A couple of weeks back I made this garlic and lemon roast chicken, which was pretty delicious, if I say so myself. The next day, I had some of it in a sandwich made with superb roasted garlic bread, bought from a baker half an hour's drive from my home. I froze the rest of the chicken, saving it for more such sandwiches when I could lay my hands on the bread. I got the chicken out of the freezer and into the fridge on Wednesday the 1st, thinking I would be able to buy the bread on Thursday. As it happened, I never got around to buying the bread until today - now I'm not sure about the chicken. It smells and tastes alright, but I want to be sure that it isn't spoilt. 

TIA,

Suman

For me, that is just too long for chicken. I would ditch it. I'd rather be safe than sick.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So all in all, it has been in the fridge for only about a week? I would personally have no problem digging in, but then again I am still merrily digging in to thanksgiving turkey that has been in the fridge since then...

Unless you have an immune deficiency of some variety, I wouldn't worry.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

After a week, no, I'd pitch it. If I insisted on eating it I'd do something where it'd be cooked again, like shred it and make it into chicken soup, so at least some of the nasties would get killed off. But really, just pitch it. Life's too short to eat bad chicken.

As it happened, I never got around to buying the bread until today - now I'm not sure about the chicken. It smells and tastes alright, but I want to be sure that it isn't spoilt. 

A good guideline for cooked meat is three days in a domestic fridge, in a sealed container or well-wrapped.

The edibility or otherwise of chicken can be difficult to gauge. Clostridium species often have a pungent smell, but other spoilage bacteria like Campylobacter or E coli can pose a threat without any of the obvious signs of spoilage such as a sticky or mucilaginous coating, discolouration, or an 'off' smell.

It's tempting to be cavalier about such issues, but food poisoning can be extremely dangerous (20 people died in my home town six years ago in an E coli outbreak linked to cooked meat), and remember, it may not always be you eating the food in your fridge. Accidentally killing your eighty-year old granny might not be a good thing. :)

The phrase we use at work is, "If in doubt, get rid of the fucker". We haven't poisoned anyone yet.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

As it happened, I never got around to buying the bread until today - now I'm not sure about the chicken. It smells and tastes alright, but I want to be sure that it isn't spoilt. 

A good guideline for cooked meat is three days in a domestic fridge, in a sealed container or well-wrapped.

The edibility or otherwise of chicken can be difficult to gauge. Clostridium species often have a pungent smell, but other spoilage bacteria like Campylobacter or E coli can pose a threat without any of the obvious signs of spoilage such as a sticky or mucilaginous coating, discolouration, or an 'off' smell.

It's tempting to be cavalier about such issues, but food poisoning can be extremely dangerous (20 people died in my home town six years ago in an E coli outbreak linked to cooked meat), and remember, it may not always be you eating the food in your fridge. Accidentally killing your eighty-year old granny might not be a good thing. :)

The phrase we use at work is, "If in doubt, get rid of the fucker". We haven't poisoned anyone yet.

I had food poisoning once. That was enough. When in doubt throw it out. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Okay, I'm convinced enough to throw it out. Maybe I can roast another chicken - can you tell I love this sandwich? :laugh:

Thank you all!

Suman

Edited to add the thank you bit.

Edited by rajsuman (log)