• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cape Cod Restaurants

Pat Goldberg

I was on the Cape last week (snif...), and have to say that my biggest disappointment was lunch at Clem & Ursie's in Ptown. We had just arrived, drove by the condo we rented, and had an hour before we could get in, so I was thrilled to try C&U's, as I had read about it in numerous posts and on a few sites. Maybe we just ordered wrong, but I had the WORST tuna steak (sandwich) that I had ever had in my life. Full of fat and muscle, I literally had to resort to a fork and knife to pull what little meat I could find off of it. He had a lobster salad sandwich that he said was just okay, and we were both flabbergasted by how small it was for the price. The place is really funky, and the market (seafood, condiments, cheeses, bakery) is really cute, but I was definitely turned off by the food, and found it to be pretty expensive to boot.

We had a GREAT meal at Bubala's, which is on Commercial Ave. Big place, with tons of outdoor tables. I had the roasted beet salad and a rack of lamb that was perfectly cooked; it came with al dente green beans (YUM) and garlic mashed potatoes, and I got to savor it again when I had the leftovers the next day. Others had the seafood cassoulet, grilled tuna wasabi, creole shrimp and pasta, and the filet, and we were 100% pleased. Salads were large, so we shared a few of them. DEFINITELY worth the cost, and the setting is great too.

Atlantic Spice, however, was WELL worth the trip! I saw it as we drove up to Ptown, and stopped on the way out, as we were headed for Dennisport and a full kitchen for the rest of the week. As soon as we pulled in to the parking lot, we both yelled "WOW" in unison, as there is an overwhelming mix of spices in the air. They have EVERYTHING. Cheap. As in, $2 per bottle for most of the dry spices. I bought dill, a curry mix, cilantro, and three others that I can't remember at the moment. Iirc, there is a 10% discount if you buy 5 or more. Also got a bottle of vanilla ($7). My only complaint was that it was very warm in the store (warehouse, really), and that kept us from browsing the gourmet stuff, cookbooks, etc. But definitely worth a stop!

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

We're going Saturday, 2 by land and 2 by sea (fast ferry) in a race to Bubula's -- losers buy the lobster rolls. Glad to hear it's still up to snuff; it will be my first visit but the veterans swear by it.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 2 weeks later...

Bubula's was as good as advertised (esp lobster roll, lobster salad roll, caribbean fish cakes) and I, too, was non-plused by Clem & Ursie's although others in our party liked it. Angel Foods is a delight, if a bit pricey. Relish came through for us in a pinch (we were at the west end so Angel was too far for last-minute, forgotten things).

I would add Red Line to the list -- at least for cocktails around sunset (yes, I know it's on the wrong side for the actual sunset, but the harbor looks beautiful in that light). We didn't have a chance to eat there but the menu and dining room looked very appealing and prices a little less than Chester's.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I believe it's still the same folks -- they're big on displaying their history (including a courier-font, obviously typewriter-generated menu on the bar -- lobster Newburg was $2.25 at the time!) with pictures of the founders scattered about.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't *bad* or anything, just nothing I would write home about. Another table dismembered an 8-lb lobster while we were there so at least the entertainment was good.

M.F.K. Fisher

We're spending a few days at the Cape this weekend, but will be in somewhat unfamiliar territory: South Yarmouth. One nice meal out will involve a pilgrimage to Nauset Beach Club in Orleans, but the rest of the time we'll stay local. Friends have recommended Skippy's Pier 1, Roobar, Grill 16, and Clancy's.

Any feedback on the above?

• 1 month later...
We're spending a few days at the Cape this weekend, but will be in somewhat unfamiliar territory: South Yarmouth.  One nice meal out will involve a pilgrimage to Nauset Beach Club in Orleans, but the rest of the time we'll stay local. Friends have recommended Skippy's Pier 1, Roobar, Grill 16, and Clancy's.

Any feedback on the above?

Of those four, I'm not familiar with Grill 16, so can't comment there. Skippy's and Clancy's are local pub type restaurants. Food is good, but nothing fancy or gourmet like. Roobar is excellent! I may be biased because I have a friend working there, but there menu is definitely more 'fine dining' than pub like. Also, The Binnacle in Orleans and The Nauset Beach Club are both excellent.

This is probably getting to you too late...but am curious to hear where you ended up going, and what you thought?

:) Pam

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The food was such a great part of our week last year that we have decided to go back to the cape for my week off this summer. This year, I want to pay more attention to lobster rolls as I had only a couple of duds. I have read the lobster roll thread and, sadly, it appears I am in the wrong next of the woods for them. We are staying in the wellfleet area again. Having said that, I heard from an additional source that Bubalas' are good.

I also read the Fried Clam thread and am curious even though I thought Arnold's was pretty awesome if there were other must tries in the area. Where we wound up going is a few posts above.

If there are any other suggestions, can you mention them here? I may need 'em for next year too. :biggrin:

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Evan,

Here are a few more fried clam options for the Cape:

Moby Dick's (fondly known in our family as Moby's Dick), right on route 6 in Truro. We haven't been there in a long time, but their clams used to be very good.

Captain Cass in Orleans, near Rock Harbor. Tiny shack, not open past 7:30 or 8:00 in the evening, but good, honest food and they do a good job with fried seafood.

Friendly Fisherman, on rte 6 in Eastham, near Idle Times bike rentals, is a great fish store that has a take-out window also. The folks we used to rent a house from love their fried clams above all others, but then again, they had never gone to Arnold's.

Glad you liked the Cape well enough to go back for another week!

Bushey

I will be in Truro next week for a large family reunion. While we have many family dinners planned, my girlfriend and I would like to head out at least 2 nights into P-Town (or anywhere else close) for dinner and drinks. One night will be with my parents, the other night will be with three of my cousins, all of whom are in the 21 to 26 year old range.

I have read several good suggestions for dinner on this page (and would invite any others), but was wondering a bit about nightlife. We are a large Irish family, and as such, my cousins and I would like a place where we can kick back, drink a good amount, mingle a bit, and catch up. Nothing too clubby, but also not a total dive. Any suggestions are appretiated.

Also, my immediate family is doing the dinner for my grandmother's birthday (the reason for the reunion) and have decided on a clam bake. We have done them here in DC before and know what we need, but I was wondering where the best market would be in the Truro area to get the supplies. We are bringing the special pots, so I'm not talking hardware. I talking the seafood, meat, produce, spices, etc. I know that we will be in clam bake territory, so I was wondering if there were any speciatly shops I sould check out for spice blends or special oils, etc.

Also, any reccomendations on a good bakery for a special birthday cake would be great.

Thanks.

Edited by willmmmm (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Heading up to the Cape at the end of this week...any suggestions in/around Dennis are greatly appreciated! I know we also won't be far from Chatham...

Thanks!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

In Chatham, I recommend the Impudent Oyster. You need to make a reservation because it is not that big and is always full. The devils on horseback are wonderful, if you are a scallop fan. They have an interesting variety of pastas and fish. It can be pricey, but worth it, in my opinion.

Great timing! The house we're renting on the Cape in Yarmouth Port has a computer, so I can pass on my culinary highlights while they're still 'fresh' in my mind.

Find yourself a copy of Edible Cape Cod magazine. www.ediblecapecod.com

It's a free publication for everything 'foodie', focusing primarily on farms, fresh produce, and the restaurants and markets that value these resources.

First of all, buy a street map. Relying on Routes, 6, 6A and 28, makes me nuts.

Chapin's in Dennis off of 6A, is a great restaurant for fried clams to steak. Off the beaten track, but popular and crowded.

The Red Pheasant Inn (6A in Dennis) was a great meal. Using fresh produce and seasonal bounties, their menu is simple, but truly delicious.

(and we still have 2 days left!) Going to check out Pain D'Avignon in Hyannis, looks like they have wonderful breads and cheeses.

My husband and I have been coming to the Cape all of our lives, and we're enjoying being free from the fried food/kid friendly grind. Enjoy the Cape...hope you have great weather!

Im going to the cape tomorrow w/my boyfriend. He works in Mashpee and we are planning to go to this place for wings called DJ's. Hes been talking about this place non stop for like 3 months now so I have to go. Unfortunately I don't have a damn car so I have to go with him (wake up at 5 am) at 6am to be at the cape by 7am.

I have to keep myself busy with his car from 7am - 5 pm. Oh and tomorrow is going to be only 70 degrees with passing showers. I really wanted to sunbathe and go bike riding. So, thanks to this post I am going to check out a few things. I have been a new englander for only 2 1/2 years and I have yet to eat a lobster/lobster roll. What are some great cheap places for lobster rolls that don't go so heavy on the mayo? Is it possible to get a good one for under $10?

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I haven't read all of the threads in the links above, so it might get a mention there. I'm nutty for Sir Cricket in Orleans. The best fried scallop roll you will ever eat. Good in the parking lot, better at the Fort Hill Overlook.

I like Cafe Edwige in Provincetown.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to add my thanks and thoughts about the Bee Hive Tavern (Sandwich)rec, which was made somewhere upthread. Friends had found it by accident, loved the place, and wanted to go back while we were all there last week. When I saw that it had a good mention here, I was game. They loved the clam chowder, but I'm raving about the fish and chips. GREAT fish, not overly breaded, not greasy, and a huge portion, served over terrific fries that managed to stay crisp to the end. Definitely worth a stop!

Just came back, tried many of the suggestions here. After 16 years of chowing on the Cape, this is what I recommend:

There is a new restaurant in Provincetown, across the street from Chester's. The name is something like Devon? With four stars on the sign below the name. Holy God, what a great place. You can sit inside across from the chef and watch her work with flames leaping up now and then to add to the excitement. Do order the bouillabaise. You'll swoon.

Brewster Fish House. The chowder, wonderful. Everything wonderful.

Mac's Seafood on the pier in Wellfleet. The best, freshest Wellfleet oysters. They walk off the beach and onto the plates.

Sir Cricket, next to the Bird Watcher's General Store in Orleans. Fried scallop roll.

Nauset Light Ice Cream on Route 6 in Eastham? Pass right by Ben and Jerry's on the corner and pull up into the little mall, next to the package store. Ginger ice cream, like the lady says. So good you're goona cry.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 7 months later...

I've been reading through and was wondering about any suggestions in and around DennisPort. We'll be visiting in June and venturing around the Cape from there. I dunno, once we start looking for the places in these other messages, we may not ever get back to D-Port. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Dennisport is kind of a culinary wasteland. It's more touristy than the other places mentioned on this thread. Our cottage is in Chatham, and we tend to eat in Chatham, Orleans, and Brewster, with about one trip per week up to Wellfleet.

We have friends who used to own a B&B in Dennisport, and I can't even remember where we went to eat when we visited them - that's not a good sign.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been going to the Cape all my life, and have done the entire fried fish/Riverway/Mildred's Chowder House tour.

Now, as an adult, and an avowd 'egullet-er', I can only suggest to pick up a copy of "Edible Cape Cod", or check out their web site www.ediblecapecod.com

We got alot of great recommendations from them, like the Red Pheasant on Route 6A in Yarmouthport, a great bakery in Hyannis whose name escapes me (I hope they're there this summer!) and Chapins, in Dennis, off of 6A.

It's a great resource for really good food on the Cape.

I've been going to the Cape all my life, and have done the entire fried fish/Riverway/Mildred's Chowder House tour.

Now, as an adult, and an avowd 'egullet-er', I can only suggest to pick up a copy of "Edible Cape Cod", or check out their web site www.ediblecapecod.com

We got alot of great recommendations from them, like the Red Pheasant on Route 6A in Yarmouthport, a great bakery in Hyannis whose name escapes me (I hope they're there this summer!) and Chapins, in Dennis, off of 6A.

It's a great resource for really good food on the Cape.

Thanks Josefinajoisey. This sounds like a great idea. We'll use all the info from others about P-town and the rest of the cape and use Edible Cape Cod for adventures closer to "home". Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a week since coming home and as this topic started almost two years ago, I wanted to post our food experiences in June, 2007.

Contrary to a previous post, Dennisport is not a "culinary wasteland" (Uh, sir/ma'am, the entire cape is "touristy"). If you're in/near the area for breakfast, The Wee Packet is a must. It's on the corner of Depot St. and Lower County Road. They do Irish breakfasts (fantastic soda bread, brown bread, real Irish bangers) and serve the second best corned beef hash I've ever had (Carnegie Deli's is, by far, #1). At the end of Depot is an excellent restaurant on the water, Ocean House. Try the duck tacos appetizer (Yeah, I know it sounds weird but it was one of our four choices and the waiter recommended it blind after we asked the classic question..."If you were going to eat here only once in your life, which appetizer/dinner would you order?"). The best clam chowder of the week (it got an OMIGAWD!!) was in Barnstable, after going whale watching, in a restaurant called The Dolphin (recommended by one of the crew on the ship). An abundant amount of clams, slightly briny and I don't recall hardly a potato in the entire cup. We also had the panko crusted sole topped with baby shrimp for dinner. In Hyannis check a place in the marina called Skippy's around 4:00. Steamers come in daily around 3:00 and they were fantastic. We did go to Bubula's based on other recommendations in this board. The lobster roll was yummy and it was the most fun place at which we ate. If you want a Cape change of pace (read pub grub) go to Clancy's...again in Dennisport. There are two of them. Go to the one on Upper County Road though the one on Lower County Road has a better beer list. We had clam bellies in several places and I think I'm addicted...there wasn't a bad batch all week so I can't recommend a single place for them. Just order them whenever you can.

All this said, our best dining experience of the week was during our day trip to Nantucket. Don't bother with any of the food around and near the ferries as good as the places might be. I highly recommend the Brandt Point Grill as it was the culinary high point of the week, even though it was only lunch. It's a restaurant tucked inside a hotel/inn, White Elephant. Impeccable, flawless service; tables under a canopy right off the marina at it's furthest point from the ferry terminals...and the food. Our meal...grilled tuna burger cooked rare (YUM!), lobster BLT on challah and the best onion rings either of us have ever had. We can't imagine what dinner would be like. Also, the BPG had the added benefit of pulling us into a neighborhood a little off the beaten path which turned into a fun walk through time as most of the homes are protected landmarks. An all around great time.

Well, those were the highlights of the trip. There are culinary adventures to be had east of the outer Cape.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to hear that there were some culinary gems to be found in Dennisport.

We just returned from two weeks on the Cape and tried a couple of the places mentioned on this thread:

- Brewster Fish House was the location for our annual Cape "date night" and it was the best restaurant meal I've ever had on the Cape. We arrived at about 6:45 and were told the wait was two hours. We stuck it out and actually got in after about an hour, because other people ahead of us on the list were not there when their name was called. A tip for future diners - they open at 5:00 and the restaurant fills and they start the list. People "in the know" put their name on the list and come back at 6:30-7:00. They added the last name to the list at about 7:00 so anyone arriving after that time was out of luck (they could wait for a spot at the bar or call back at 9:00 to see if anything was likely to be available before the last seating at 9:30). I had the Jonah crab cake with avocado mousse and the kobe flat iron steak (I'm allergic to fish and the only seafood entree was lobster, which we were planning on having the next night). I loved the accompanying parsnip puree too. Both were excellent. My husband raved about his tuna tartare and striped bass. We will definitely be back.

- After renting a sailboat at Wellfleet Harbor, we stopped at Nauset Light ice cream. It was really good - especially the ginger mentioned above. I liked their portion/price ratio too.

- On our "ultimate Cape Cod" night, we went to Arnold's for fried clams and onion rings. They were as good as people said and definitely the best of this trip. The other components of the evening were putt putt golf at Cape Escape near the Orleans rotary - it is brand new and one of the best courses we've played on the Cape, and ice cream at the Ice Cream Cafe in Orleans, which I found out about on the Cape Cod ice cream blog (http://theicecreamchallenge.com/). I tried the mango and swooned - it was so creamy and flavorful. That was the best ice cream of the vacation in my opinion.

Other eats of the vacation:

- Disappointing fried food at Kream n Kone in Chatham. We've eaten there many times before and I think we just hit an off night.

- Dinner at the Squire in Chatham (bar side) was good as always. I had the chowder (my favorite on the Cape) and mussels marinara.

- Lunch at Cobie's in Brewster after a kayaking excursion with Mass Audubon. It's a good stop if you're in the area but not something to go out of the way for. We usually use it as a destination for biking on the rail trail.

- Ice cream at Sundae School in Harwichport. My husband loved their ginger (it was his favorite of the trip) and I liked the chocolate peanut butter that I tried.