• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CALLING ALL MEXICANS

bourdain

I'm seeking names and restaurants of high-end/"nouvelle" Mexican chefs, operating in the USA who--unlike--say Rick Bayless and Jose Andres--are actually MEXICAN. Home grown Mexican chefs creating any variety of Mexican fusion are also of interest.

Your informed input would be much appreciated.

abourdain

Mexican only, or are other Central Americans eligible? Hector Guerra was sous for Yannik Cam at Le Pavillion back in the Reagan administration, and played soccer and cooked with Roberto Donna for several years. He has the classic CV -- began as a dishwasher and rose through the ranks. He opened his own Salvadoran fusion place a few years back. Unfortunately, it went under and he now appers to be chef at a place called Cabanas (202) 944-4242. Given its location in a major Georgetown tourist-trap area, he may not be offering cutting-edge food at this time, but I'm sure he is still the same good chef and good guy he was back when I knew him.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

One of the people who jump to mind is Hugo Ortega in Houston. Perhaps his food is a bit short of the 'high end' you were looking for, but his Hugo's is definitely white tablecloth food.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Chef Carlos Molina at Los Catrines-Tequila's Bar in Philadelphia.

Los Catrines & Tequila's Bar

1602 Locust Street

Philadelphia, PA 19103

(215) 546-0181

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Not sure if it's still there, but otherwise Arturo Franco-Camacho's Roomba in New Haven, CT. Ate there a few years ago, fairly inventive high-end (for CT standards) Latino Cuisine. I believe he's both chef and owner.

Roomba Restaurant.

1044 Chapel St.

New Haven, CT 06511

203-562-7666

Hope it helps,

Silly.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

The former sous chef at Charlie Trotters (Guillermo Tellez) is Mexican - He's the exec at Mayya in Miami Beach. I'm pretty sure Yoel Cruz of North Square on Waverly place is Mexican as well - that's all I got.

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

Freddy Sanchez of Adobo Grill, Chicago. He was born in Guerrero and raised in Acapulco, Mexico. where he experienced the tantalizing sights and smells of the coastal city. Tribune critic Phil Vettel wrote in October: "ADOBO GRILL, 1610 N. Wells St., 312-266-7999. The considerable promise of this Old Town restaurant has been met by chef Freddy Sanchez, who is producing some of the best Mexican cooking in town, and a greatly improved front-room staff. The beverage program, which includes stellar margaritas along with a monthly tequila tasting event, is a big plus. Recommended: Ceviche assortment, guacamole (prepared tableside), tilapia with mushroom escabeche, venison tampiqueno. Open: Dinner Mon.-Sun., brunch Sat.-Sun. Entree prices: $12.95-$24.95. Credit cards: A, DC, M, V. Reservations: Strongly recommended. Noise: Conversation-friendly. Other: Wheelchair accessible, valet parking, smoking at bar only. (star)(star)(star)"

Bill Daley

Chicago Tribune

Luchita's in Cleveland is one of my favorites.

3456 W. 117th St., Cleveland, OH 44111; Phone is 216.252.1169.

The chef is named Rey Galindo.

Make Ruhlman buy you a couple of Cuervo Margueritas there when you come to town. :raz:

Laurie

"miguel ravago at fonda san miguel in austin might fit the bill"

I second the motion on Miguel Ravago at Fonda. Ravago and of note, his Mexicano kitchen team who have all been there from day one. They all rock!

Also, an ex from Fonda, is Roberto Santibanez who is running the show at Rosa Mexicano in New York. He is a gifted chef and excellent teacher.

Salud,

Shelora

Richard Sandoval of Maya/San Francisco, Pampano/New York and Tamayo/Denver is from Acapulco.

He also has a Mexican-Asian fusion restaurant in Denver called Zengo.

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the food section of today's L.A. Times (12/22) for a review of La Huasteca in Lynwood (part of metropolitan LA). The chef-owner is Alfonso Ramirez, originally from Puebla. Definitely not the usual Tex-Mex cuisine. (Sorry, I don't know how to post the link.)