• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Connecticut Hot Dogs

Bilmo

The solution is to go back to Chicago to visit as often as possible.

But on a more practical side, you'll just have to learn how to make hot dogs yourself. Believe me, it's easy and far more satisfying than trying yet another joint that does not measure up. Unfortunately Vienna red hots are not available in stores, to my knowledge.

In NYC, where I am, hot dogs are all over the place, but no Chicago hot dogs. In a pinch I'll buy some of them plain and bring them home to dress them.

Trying all the hot dogs variations at Papaya King, for instance, has been a bit fun -- but like eating bugs. You know the natives eat bugs, but beyond trying them once for yourself, perhaps, you will never grow to love them.

I've come to tolerate a plain dog with some german mustard, or sometimes with relish. The sauerkraut is gross (maybe it could be ok if the sauerkraut were any good). They have something here called a slaw dog which is rather gross but worth trying once lol -- they have some bizarre name for it that escapes me at the moment. :cool:

Don't even get me started on the pizza issue, but I've heard that the New Haven thing is good. Perhaps I shall try it one day.

Edited by Ocean_islands (log)

You guys, besides making my mouth water, have me wondering about the fate of two places in CT where I used to love the hot dogs - Jimmy's at Savin Rock (West Haven), which I guess is still a sit-down restaurant & which specialized in cooking split hot dots on a griddle. The griddle man cooked in full view all summer & my friends & I always joked about getting the pit dog - the one closest to his armpit when he filled the buns lined up along his hairy forearms.

Also Yankee Doodle, a tiny diner in New Haven that sold 'pigs in the blanket', a split hot dog with a strip of american cheese in the center, wrapped in bacon and finished on the grill. I had a couple for lunch at least once a week for over a year. They claimed to make their own relish in the basement, once a week. Any word on their fate, or any successors?

I'm in exile now, I live in Massachusetts. . .

L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

The solution is to go back to Chicago to visit as often as possible.

Would that I could.... I only get back to the homeland about once a year, and it's hard to carry enough supplies back East to last me until my next trip :)

But on a more practical side, you'll just have to learn how to make hot dogs yourself.  Believe me, it's easy and far more satisfying than trying yet another joint that does not measure up.  Unfortunately Vienna red hots are not available in stores, to my knowledge.

Thank goodness for the Internet. Although Portillo's isn't the greatest of the Chicago dogs, at least they sell kits that they'll ship anywhere in the US that include Vienna dogs and some poppy seed buns...

I've come to tolerate a plain dog with some german mustard, or sometimes with relish.  The sauerkraut is gross (maybe it could be ok if the sauerkraut were any good).  They have something here called a slaw dog which is rather gross but worth trying once lol -- they have some bizarre name for it that escapes me at the moment.  :cool:

Nope. Couldn't even bring myself to think about it! :blink: Unless there's celery salt, yellow mustard, relish, onions, the occasional tomato, some peppers and maybe a pickle or cucumber wedge... Well, I'm sure I needn't go on :)

Don't even get me started on the pizza issue, but I've heard that the New Haven thing is good.  Perhaps I shall try it one day.

I wouldn't go out of your way... Like you said, you'll never grow to love eating bugs!

Best,

Brad

Last Friday I had to take my daughter back to school (UConn) and although I would have liked to hit a few hot dog places, I couldn't because of all the work we had to do moving her in. I was able to go to the new Capitol Lunch in Storrs. Their original location is New Britain and they recently opened this one. They serve a Rosol's brand beef and pork dog that they griddle and serve with French's yellow mustard (I prefer spicy brown deli mustard). Decent dog, but nothing out of the ordinary. The other Conn. places I've been to are better. But they have a good peppery relish, a good beef based chili sauce (or Cappy sauce as it is called) and a very good chili with peppers and beans. All at a reasonable $1.70 including toppings.

John the hot dog guy

• 1 month later...
cheereeo70 Posted on Nov 12 2003, 07:07 PM

For Hot Dog John. . .

I had heard about Miller's Provisions closing down a couple months ago, and I must say that I am devistated, as they had simply the most incredible seasoned prepared pork roast I have ever tasted. Also, great kielbasa, knockwurst, and homemade German kraut. Did you ever hear any of the details on their closing? I know the guys were getting on in age; did they just retire? The place was always packed when I went in. I am so sad. Wish I knew how to reach them and try to pay the guys on the side to season and tie a pork roast for me.

Hey cheereeo70!

This is Jane from Miller's Provisions... Glad to hear you are a fan of our products!

A word on what's been happening here... Miller's was operated by two brother's, George and John Wunder.... George passed away about 3 years ago, so John's son (also John, a.k.a. Hans) joined the company to give his father a hand. John Sr. has since retired. Hans has made some changes to streamline the organization and better serve our wholesale clients, like Super Duper.

As we all know, people don't shop the way they used to any more. In the old days Miller's was mobbed by people who staffed the factories in and around Bridgeport. Then the factories began closing and the 24 hour grocery stores were born. These stores added deli's to their offerings and the people began to make their buying decisions based on the convenience of the one-stop-shop. Rather than try to compete with  these giants, Miller's has now returned to it's core competency.... the manufacturing of our franks and sausages. Over time, we will increase our retail distribution so that our products become available at the super stores.

Meanwhile, we have retailers in and around Fairfield county where you can pick up the same franfurters that Super Duper uses.

You can always call us directly at 203-375-1598 and come right to to the factory for your goodies. Since we are now configured for wholesale, there is a minimum of 5 lbs. on any order... if you can live with that, then give us a call.

We would be delighted to hook you up with a pork roast too.... we look forward to getting a call from you!

Meanwhile, keep those guys at Super Duper busy!! Happy eating!

Jane, I wonder if you were the nice woman I spoke to on the phone recently. You had mentioned your guys trying to get into Gloria's in Milford. Perhaps if all of us on e-Gullet who frequent Gloria's Market could make the request for your products there, they would be interested. I hope so. Thanks for the reply. I'll give you a call when we're ready for the large pork roast--my mouth is watering!!

JANE: Are you still there? My former boss tried several times to call to order a huge seasoned pork roast the week of October 11, but no one returned her calls. She left VMs on the main line and the "Jane" line. When she saw the store boarded up she wondered if the wholesale was still around. She ended up getting a nice seasoned roast from Licios, but I am sure it isn't as good as Miller's!

• 9 months later...

ROESSLER'S IS GONE!???

Just called my CT supplier, Supreme Quality Market in West Haven, to place my yearly Roessler hot dog order for my son's birthday party, and he said that they went out of business the first of the year and no longer supply the dogs. He said he someone wanted to get the "formula" and they wouldn't give it out. He is very sad too. He said he had people drive from Massachusetts to pick up the dogs and a woman from California once called him to ship her 50 lbs. WHAT A BUMMER. I guess I'll do Deutschmacher, my next favorite. BOO HOO

P.S. I tried to call 800/HOT-DOG 9 and there is absolutely no answer; not even a voice mail anymore.

• 5 years later...

I'm bumping this up again because...

a)The last update here was in 2004. A lot has changed in 7 years.

b) I am heading off to CT next month for a few days expressly for the the purpose of hitting the best hot dog joints in the state with a few friends.

c) With the Fourth of July/Independence Day right around the corner, who doesn't want to talk about great hot dogs?

One of the big changes to the CT hot dog scene has got to be the release in August of 2010 of the "A Connecticut Hot Dog Tour" DVD. In it, a number of the CT classics (several mentioned up-thread), as well as some newer hot dog stands are featured including:

Rawley's Drive-In (Fairfield)

Weiners on Water (East Haddam)

Bobby's Place (Old Lyme)

Capitol Lunch (New Britain)

Top Dog Hot Dog (Portland)

Glenwood Drive-In – (Hamden)

Frankies – (Waterbury)

The Dawg House – (New Britain)

Super Duper Weenie – (Fairfield)

Now, I know there have got to be a hundred others scattered across the state and some have got to be as good, if not better (how'd they miss Swanky Frank’s anyway?) but I haven't been back to the state in 20 years.

I need some fresh intel. Help a fellow dog-lover out!

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

Connecticut is a great place to sample hot dogs. Although about 7 years old, below is a trip report I posted elsewhere. I hit numerous places in one day. Rosco's is no longer in business. Super Duper Weenie switched to Hummels but now uses a beef/pork frank from New Jersey. The DVD is excellent. I was sent one by the filmmaker. "A Connecticut Hot Dog Tour", will be having it's National TV Premiere during Fourth of July weekend on the Documentary Channel. http://ctoriginals.com/blog/world-television-premiere/

A special thanks to Long Dog for letting me ride with him on the Connecticut hot dog tour as well as doing an excellent job picking the places and organizing the tour. Directions were printed up for each stop. It was a damp, drizzly day, but we had a great time. Too bad more of you didn't join us. I was expecting a bigger turnout from the Jersey people who haven't tried Connecticut hot dogs.

I had been looking forward to this day for a long time. Previously I've gone to Swanky Franks, Super Duper Weenie (Fairfield), Rawley's, and Capitol Lunch (Storrs). Everywhere on the tour was a new place for me. We did go to Capitol Lunch, but it was the original in New Britain. And we hit Super Duper Weenie, but it was the Stratford location. It was great to be able to visit the places that I had been hearing and reading about on these forums for so long. And finally getting to taste the Hummel's dog that is so popular in Conn. I have sampled a Hummel's at Swanky Franks, but I think it might be a different dog than what is used at the Glenwood, Blackies, Mac's, and Danny's. Or maybe not, but it's been a few years since I've been there.

It was cool to be greeted by a big sign on the side of Danny's welcoming Roadfood.com's Hot Dog Tour. They hadn't been told by us that we were coming, so they must have read about it here. A nice little roadside restaurant that's much smaller than what I expected from seeing the pictures on this forum. In fact, all of the places look much bigger in the pictures. Nice staff, good service, pretty owner. The dogs are grilled, than deep fried. I had every dog half plain, and half with a topping. The Hummel's dog was a beef and pork blend (as were the Hummels served at Mac's, Glenwood, and Blackies). It is spicier than the typical beef and pork dog. It also has a certain tartness/tanginess that seems to be typical of many Conn. hot dog brands. A good tight casing with a nice snap. Unique and very good. If you like hot, spicy chili, this is the place for you. The spiciest chili that I've tasted up to this point.

Next was Rosco's. I've had their dog (it is available in Jersey) but have never been there until today. They cook a regular sized dog and a quarter pounder on a griddle. This dog is mild tasting, but delicious and in no way bland like a lot of dogs in this style. In fact, it is the dog I buy most often to make at home. It's so good that I usually eat it plain. I had the smaller dog and sampled the homemade chili, coleslaw and relish on the side. All are top quality. The chili is thick, tasty and fairly spicy, but not overwhelmingly so. The coleslaw is one of the best that I've tasted anywhere, certainly better than at any hot dog joint. The relish is peppery and spicy. A little too spicy for my taste. Next time back I'll try the long dog with chili and coleslaw. I would strongly urge the Sterns or someone from Roadfood.com to visit and post a review as they have done with the other places that we visited. I have been to dozens of hot dog restaurants and none serves up a better dog than this place.

Capitol Lunch was the third stop. They serve a small (10 or 11 to a lb) Rosol's dog that was grilled. It and the chili and relish are the same and tasted the same as they did at Storrs. The Storrs location also had a chili with peppers that the New Britain location didn't. The Cappy Sauce and relish were ok, as was the dog. Really rather average in my opinion. I've been told by a few people that those who are not from the area usually have the same opinion. Those that have grown up on the Capitol are usually the ones that give it the best reviews.

Blackie's was next up. They are known for their relish and deep fried dogs. It was fairly dark inside, but the relish appeared to be very dark, almost brown in color. At first, I thought it was chili. Very peppery. I couldn't decide if I liked it or not. The dogs were Hummel's, but they were either cut along the side or ripped open from the oil. They lacked the tautness and snap of the dogs served at Danny's. Good flavor, but I liked the tautness and consistency of the Hummel dogs at Danny's better.

Fifth stop was the Glenwood Drive Inn. A fairly big place with an ice cream shop attatched. They serve long Hummel dogs that have been charbroiled. A nice alternative to grilled or deep fried. These dogs were the same size (approx 5 to a lb) as the dogs served at Syd's in Union, N.J. Although the brands used are different (Syd's uses a spicier all beef dog) the dogs looked the same and had that charbroiled taste. I had mine with only mustard. Quality dog, one of the better ones that I've had.

Our next destination was Mr. Mac's Canteen. They used the Hummel's dog that was similar in size to Blackies and Danny's, but smaller than the Glenwood. Wheras Danny's are grilled than deep fried, Mac's are deep fried then grilled. Very similar in taste. I had half of the dog with chili. This chili was overwhelmingly hot and spicy. There was even a sign warning of this. I know there are people who like their chili this way, but I don't. It overpowers the dog and becomes the whole focus of the taste experience. I thought that I turned into a dragon! This was even hotter than Danny's. But Danny's was a little thinner and better complemented the dog. At Mr. Mac's, I would get the dog with mustard. Or bacon bits. Lil' Dog had his this way, and it looked good.

Our last stop was Super Duper Weenie in Stratford. This is a much smaller place than the original in Fairfield. They used a Miller's dog that was split and griddled. I had been to the Fairfield location twice and liked this dog. It's a little mild for my taste, but goes well with the homemade condiments. Even if you are using just mustard, it has enough flavor to stand on it's own. First time there, I got a plain dog w/mustard. It was my fourth or fifth dog of the day. Last time there, on my way home from UConn, it was my only stop. I had one plain w/mustard and a New Englander. The New Englander has mustard, sweet relish, sauerkraut, onions (which I left out) and a strip of bacon placed in the middle. Truly one of the better dressed dogs that I've had. This time, however, I had mine with just mustard, as it was my 7th of the day. We asked the manager about the dog used there, as we had heard that Miller's closed down and that the owner (Gary Zemola) had gotten the recipe and had the dogs made somewhere else. We were told that the dogs were similar, but not the exact same in recipe. Some or all of the sugar is left out in the new dog. My dog was smaller than the ones I had at Fairfield. Definitely not a quarter pounder. Cooked the same way, but a little drier and not as good as those I've had previously.

It was a great day for sampling hot dogs. I left full and satisfied. Blackies and Capitol Lunch were good hot dogs, but not standouts. Super Duper Weenie was good, but not as good as I've had in Fairfield. Danny's, Mr. Mac's, The Glenwood, and Rosco's all served top notch hot dogs that are certainly representative of the finest in Connecticut or anywhere for that matter. Looking forward to returning again. Thanks again to Long Dog for a job well done. It was nice to see Lil' Dog again and to meet Lee (Mama Dog) Barbara Ct, Greasewheel, Andrea, and Andrea's mom. Also the friendly people who own and work at these fine hot doggeries.

John the hot dog guy

• 8 months later...

I'm not that much of a hot dog aficionado, happy with a boiled dog, mustard and saurkraut. I've tried Super Duper and thought it was more about the condiments and hype rather than the dog which was a let down after the 20 minute wait. Walters in NY was just OK, same with Swanky Franks. But in Fairfield, about 1/2 mile from Super Duper is the Hungarian Meat market, a branch of the store from Manhattan. They sell their own made franks by the pound and they are wonderful dogs. Pick up a container of the homemade sauerkraut while you are there.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

• 2 months later...