• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aichi Prefecture (including Nagoya)

Hiroyuki

Would kishimen be a reaonable substitute for rice noodles (the kind used to make ho fun, for example)?

Are they readily available for purchase in Nagoya, specifically around Nagoya Station?

ETA--I know kishimen are made from wheat, not rice, but I also read they're sort of slippery, so I thought I might be able to use them to make ho fun.

Personally, I don't think so. I thought about Inaniwa udon at first, which is also slippery (and less wide than kishimen), but I don't think that it can be a substitute, either.

Are rice noodles so hard to come by?

Fresh ones are. Dried ones are quite different in terms of the texture I want. The dried ones aren't as slippery when they're cooked, and they don't have that nice tender bite to them.

Oh well. I'm sure I'll find something else to buy in Nagoya!