• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Osteria Via Stato - Chicago

gmi3804

• 1 year later...

I just got my monthly email update from Lettuce Entertain You. "Free lunch" caught my eye. Click here for the link.

COMPLIMENTARY LUNCH AT OSTERIA VIA STATO!

Osteria Via Stato

620 N. State St., Chicago, IL - 312-642-8450

Who says there is no such thing as a free lunch? Come to Osteria Via Stato Monday through Friday, 11:30 a.m. through 2 p.m. and you might just be Chef David DiGregorio's guest that afternoon. Once a week, Chef David will pick one day out of his toque and everything on the lunch menu that day is complimentary for our guests. What day is it you ask? Well that's the secret only Chef David knows. But whether you hit the free day or not, there is something for everyone on the lunch menu at Osteria Via Stato, including cheese and salumi plates, antipastis, great flavorful salads including our Farmer's Market Salad with peaches, lemon cucumbers and parmigiano-reggiano, pastas including Gemelli with Basil-Pine Nut Pesto and a sandwich selection including Grilled Vegetable, Salumi and Cheese, Tuna Salad and Prosciutto di Parma. Osteria Via Stato is located at 620 N. State Street. Call 312-642-8450 for reservations or additional information.

Sounds like a really good deal. The increase in business from this marketing might just more than make up for the once-a-week free lunch service.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 3 months later...
I just got my monthly email update from Lettuce Entertain You.  "Free lunch" caught my eye.  Click here for the link.
COMPLIMENTARY LUNCH AT OSTERIA VIA STATO!

Osteria Via Stato

620 N. State St., Chicago, IL - 312-642-8450

Who says there is no such thing as a free lunch? Come to Osteria Via Stato Monday through Friday, 11:30 a.m. through 2 p.m. and you might just be Chef David DiGregorio's guest that afternoon. Once a week, Chef David will pick one day out of his toque and everything on the lunch menu that day is complimentary for our guests. What day is it you ask? Well that's the secret only Chef David knows. But whether you hit the free day or not, there is something for everyone on the lunch menu at Osteria Via Stato, including cheese and salumi plates, antipastis, great flavorful salads including our Farmer's Market Salad with peaches, lemon cucumbers and parmigiano-reggiano, pastas including Gemelli with Basil-Pine Nut Pesto and a sandwich selection including Grilled Vegetable, Salumi and Cheese, Tuna Salad and Prosciutto di Parma. Osteria Via Stato is located at 620 N. State Street. Call 312-642-8450 for reservations or additional information.

Sounds like a really good deal. The increase in business from this marketing might just more than make up for the once-a-week free lunch service.

u.e.

Hi. My name is Scott Barton. I am the managing partner of Osteria via Stato. The lunch promotion has been extemely well received. Between the promotion and our new lunch menu, we have seen a nice increase in our lunch business. Thank you for your interest.

sb

Hi

Could anyone tell me--would a party with a small infant (2 month old) be welcome here for a late dinner? Our son is pretty good and quiet usually, but wanted to check. Thanks

Sara

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

When we were there in December, a couple seated near us had an infant, and they were fine. I think they even had one of those stands to put an infant seat in. We got to the restaurant pretty late - like 8PM and weren't seated for about a half hour, and I remember those people arrived after us.

thanks! We're going on Tues and will report back.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

• 1 month later...

I am wondering if you are required to do the 3 course deal or if you can just order ala carte.

Basically, my wife and I are flying in for the weekend and were looking for a new place to try on friday when we get in late. Often my wife just feels like a salad (she's a vegetarian) and not a big meal (especially since we are eating at TRU on saturday). Would we be okay?

Also, could someone comment on the available vegetarian dishes if ala carte is available. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I were in Chicago for the weekend to celebrate our 1st anniversary at TRU on Saturday May 20th. The night before, I talked my wife into going to Osteria via Stato (OVS) for dinner as she is a vegetarian and we were not completely sure of their vegetarian options. Plus, she was just considering having a salad for dinner.

After arriving and being seated in the back room at a large communal table which I had read about and curious how these tables worked. Another family of four was dining at this table and there was a small 5inch high wood divider between us and them as well as two other place settings. While we are a friendly couple, we were prefering to be more private that night and we did not feel intruded upon or hindered by this communal table at all.

Long story short, I talked my wife into the family-style dinner and things continued to get even better from there. We selected one of the available entrees, we asked them to "just bring us wine" (of which I had the 2nd level and my wife the 1st). We were under the impression that the kitchen would randomly select one of the various antipasti options on the menu, but instead they brought "all of them!!!" Our first course consisted of salad (not even listed on the menu), veal meatballs, spinach and parmesan salad, slices of onions with baked cheese, and mozzarella with olive oil and peppers. I'm lucky I was suddenly starving.

The salad, veal meatballs, and baked onion-cheese slices were the best.

Next was the pasta course. I was brought a large bowl of amazing chicken ragu papardelle which was awesome. My wife received the vegetarian corkscrew pasta, whcih neither of us thought was very exceptional. What was exceptional was the surprising arrival of a waiter with a copper pot full of steaming hot mushroom and vegetable risotto. He emptied to who pot onto our plates. This was my far the best risotto I think i've ever tasted. The texture, flavor, creaminess. Perfect

For our entrees: I had a GIANT shortrib on whipped parsnip puree with a wine reduction which was outstanding, even for my completely full and satiated self. My wife had a polenta cake with various vegetables. I'm not sure how it was possible, but this was by far the best polenta I've ever tasted as well. How surprised was I to go to this restaurant and find two of the "best of" dishes ever.

Being soooo full we only shared a small cup of pistachio gelato for desert and coffee. We paid the very modest bill (for what we got), walked back to the James Hotel and fell asleep, full and satiated beyond belief. This place is defintiely a must go to and now for us its a must go back to.

we found it pretty reasonable. The family dinner is $39 per person. I don't remember exactly how much the wine pairings were. There are three different levels, but I think the first level starts somewhere between $17-25. Given the amount and quality of food for two people a price of around $120 was very reasonable.