• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Club Chasse et Pêche Restaurant Bar Salon

Lesley C

Does anyone know a working website? I tried www.restaurantleclub.com , but this does not seem to be recognized. I got that one from The Montreal Highlights Festival Website.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Does anyone know a working website? I tried    www.restaurantleclub.com , but this does not seem to be recognized. I got that one from The Montreal Highlights Festival Website.

It's supposed to be www.leclub-mtl.ca but this does not work. You can email one of the owners (Hubert Marsolais) at hubert@leclub-mtl.ca for more information.

Derek

• 1 month later...

I had dinner with my family at Le Club Chasse et Peche this past Staurday night including our well behaved if culinarily unadventurous 5y/o. When I mentioned to the hotel concierge that that was wherre we were going she was impressed tht we had a reservation as the restaurant has become one of the hot tickets in Montreal. Indeed the restaurant was already full at our 7:30PM reservation.

The decor was very nice with a bit of a Moroccan feel to it. The chairs are extremely comfortable, so comfortable in fact, that the 5yo fell asleep in it after having a piece of bread and some scallop. We let him sleep.

The service was excellent and the food was expertly and beautifully prepared, nevertheless I was slightly disappointed. My disappointment was not so much the fault of the restaurant as it was circumstance. Firstly, the seasonal menu changed and there was no risotto on it. Given some of the raves recorded on this topic for the risotto, I was bummed. I like to try as many dishes as I can. Because of this and with the encouragement of the waiter we ordered a number of dishes to share. The meal was well paced and I did get to taste a lot of good things, but this food is too beautiful to share in this way. I would have preferred it to have been served in a tasting menu format. The final cost of the meal was enough to have justified this.

Openers included 6 oysters from PEI with three different sauces. The oysters were small and succulent, but I tend to prefer them au natural with maybe a squeeze of lemon to capture the briny essence of the sea. These were ok, but nothing special to me. The scallops were delicious and beautifully prepared thy were well caramelized and presented with a creamy lemon and fennel sauce. My wife and I had a glass of a white wine whose name and details were unmemorable, although it was servicable with these courses.

The next set of appetizers included grilled octopus, which was the favorite course of one of the kids, my son's friend, foie gras with mushrooms, and sweetbreads with fresh snow crab and favas. The sweetbreads were superb and my favorite dish of the evening. As wonderful as that dish was, to me it was all about the sweetbreads. While the crab and the favas were nice adjuncts, they were clearly supporting players. The foie was good, but given Chef Pelletier's reputation for foie, I was slightly disappointed. This was probably the dish that suffered the most, however, from the sharing format. The octopus was superb. It was tender and flavorful.

The seafood courses came next. The fish was beautifully prepared, having been cooked on one side. We had halibut and sea bass. The halibut came with marvellous yellow beets. We also had sides of vegetables that included eggplant puree, asparagus and grilled pearl onions. Our meat course was chateaubriand, enough for a slice for each person. While delicious, this was by far the priciest course that we had - $79. Since it was a special, the price had not been listed on the menu. Our wine was a lovely and versatile St. Joseph from Gonon.

Desserts were excellent. I also had a small cheese course that included an exquisite Roqueforte.

The total cost of the meal before tax and tip came to $400. This was essentially for four people given that the 5yo really didn't eat anything. Taking away the wine and the chateaubriand brought the tally to around a very reasonable $60pp. Although I think the chateaubriand was a tad on the expensive side, I really can't quibble with the cost of the meal. Overall it was quite reasonable.

The disappointment stems largely from the service format. Choosing this was at least as much my fault as the restaurant's. The evening lost a bit of elegance as a result of it. Now I was with my family and a friend of my sons, so elegance may not have been of paramount importance and it wasn't. Everyone enjoye hteir meals and it was a superb experience. It was just that little bit, however, that kept the experience from being truly outstanding to me. I realize that this is a bit of an idiosyncratic critique and mean no disrespect to this fine restaurant with it. My purpose in mentioning it is to discourage othe diners from engaging in this style of service at this restaurant. Thatmay work well at more homestyle establishments. This one, however, calls for the elegance that the food deserves.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 4 months later...

I emailed using the address at the top of this thread as I wanted reservations near the end of September. I just wanted some additional menu information and Hubert emailed some menu items, prices and kindly confirmed reservations.

While the menu will change all the time - here is what he is serving now. I have no doubt that when I go on the 24th it will be wonderful!

atlantic oysters for 6 (18) for 12 (36)

braised suckling pig risotto, foie gras slivers (15)

kobe américain, shiitake, broth with white truffle oil (13)

tuna tataki and organic tomato ‘pressé’ (12)

single side roasted scallops, fennel purée (14)

seared duck foie gras and fig ‘tatin’ (19)

+

vegetable antler (8)

?

chasse et pêche – (new school surf and turf) (29)

ocean delivery, truffle, mushroom, pak-choï (27)

rack of lamb, festive tomato, black olive and basil (30)

angus beef, cippollini, Yukon Gold and Baluchon cheese (29)

roasted sea bass, asparagus, parmesan, sorrel (28)

hot and solid meal

• 5 months later...

Any new reviews of the Club ?

My sister really likes the restaurant; she's has a good palate, and love good restaurants, but her taste is similar to mine; so I will like this.

A friend of mine went there last weekend and liked the place, but found the Lobster in the "chasse et pêche" a bit too fatty ( confit in butter ? ) and that it's very buttery ( including veggies ); but they also had the appetizers and dessert, so it must not have been THAT bad, but told me that they should have had 2 different main courses to be able to compare.

What about the tasting menu ?

I was there last Saturday and enjoyed myself immensely. Had Oyster tripple (three preps), Scallops

(seared on one side) and the signature roasted pig risotto with foi gras. Veggies as a seperate platter.

- Forget what oysters they were, natural prep was outstanding

- Excellent Scallops, maybe too simple prep?

- Risotto did not reach the highs of last time - have no idea why. (less foi gras?? rice to heavy? difficult dish)

- Frankly the Veggie platter was the high light. 4-5 very distinctive flavours. VERY good.

One problem might have been I was not having any wine (dinner company did not want any), it's amazing how wine can manage your palate perception!! One really need to drink wine with such excellent food.

It's great, great restaurant, this time maybe hitting a downbeat, but that will certainly not keep me away. These guys are presenting food and environment that is sophisticated, clean and deceptively simple, so there is nowhere to hide. The ride will be different each night.

And oh, the lobster was poached in butter. Keller, FL style I guess. Butter is good!! But Lobster is really an inferior shellfish. Don't now why folks insists when Dungeness crab are in season. An east coast thing I suppose. Then.. I never had butter poached lobster, so may I should shut up.

/gth

• 7 months later...

Just took a look at the CC&P website (www.leclubchasseetpeche.com). It now features RECIPES!!! Currently there are recipes for the venison and artichoke dish, the scallops (with a video), and the wild mushroom tart. It's more than worth a look.

• 4 weeks later...

I had an outstanding meal at Le CC+P last night.

Keeping in mind, I am an employee there, but it was quite the experience to go and eat the food that I make on a daily basis. Tasting a sauce at the stove in the kitchen over and over again in a night versus sitting in the dining room with the ambiance, the lighting, the music, the waiters, the wine... a completely different feel to it. While I was well acquainted with all the flavors and dishes that came to the table, it was all just distantly familiar, as eating it at the table in those ultra comfortable seats and the unbeatable atmosphere (the room was jam packed full) made it a whole new experience. I know the food of the kitchen, but not like i knew it last night. I understand what Chef meant when he said "it's important that you come to eat."

We were treated like royalty, but it was clear to me watching the outstanding wait staff work the room, that they treat everyone like royalty there. Phillippe kept our glasses topped, sometimes several at a time, and the pairings were outstanding. Particulary the Straw Wine and the Gnocchi dish and the Kobe and Solaia. Hurray!

Thanks to all the staff at the Club for their outstanding work, eating there last night just gave me so much more confidence in the work we do, I understand why it is a destination restaurant. I don't think I've ever had such a solid meal like I did last night. This is a restaurant that knows exactly what it is doing and what it wants to be, and clearly, with a full dining room every night, the clients know that very well.

I don't think I need to say it, but if you haven't been yet, get down there and eat some good food. You won't be disappointed.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

• 1 month later...

I was home for the holidays and managed to make it here for dinner with my husband. We really enjoyed our evening. The service (by Jean-Francois) was extremly attentive, polite and helpful. We also enjoyed our meal, and while we ate quite a lot, I did not feel at all over-stuffed at the end of it. We had wine pairings with each course, which has become our favorite way to enjoy these mulit-course meals.

First off we really liked the atmosphere created by the natural-looking setting and the comfy club chairs. There is also a heady smell of cologne permeating the room, and it is unclear as to whether this is from the clientele or simply part of the ambience created by the restaurant.

Free from kids for a few hours, we decided to open the evening with martinis, lemon zest for me and olives for him. The service was so discrete, at one point we both marveled at how his olive pips had made a disappearing act without our even noticing.

We started with the seared fois gras which was accompanied by a juicy roasted pear and topped with a piece of pear leather, which complemented the texture and richness of the foie perfectly. This sat atop a puree of white beans, and there was daikon and pomegranate for a cooling counterpoint. I loved this dish. A muscat accompanied this course.

Next my husband had the much-touted roasted scallops, served on fennel puree with lemon creme fraiche. He said he could have eaten a whole bowl of these. He had this with a Quebecois seyval blanc. I had the bluefin tuna in a broth with daikon and truffle oil; somehow this dish was not for me, neither in texture nor in flavor. I had a nice glass of riesling to pick me up out of it though...

gallery_41870_2503_3608.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_20978.jpg

For the next course we had a bottle of Thibault Liger-Belair, a nice wine from Bourgogne. Then I was in heaven again, with the risotto with suckling pig, foie gras shavings topped with a pork cracklin - this dish was incredible, and honestly the first risotto I have loved outside of my own.

gallery_41870_2503_13049.jpg

My husband equally enjoyed his ris de veau; this was perfectly prepared, crispy on the outside, creamy-textured within, surrounded by beautiful little mushrooms (straw perhaps) thinly sliced potatoes. We did wish that the potatoes had held up their crispiness, however the overall dish helped us to forgive this detail.

gallery_41870_2503_27799.jpg

We also allowed ourselves to be talked into ordering the vegetable plate for the night, and we were very happy that we did. It added another dimension to this last course, with the sweet flavors and creamy textures. It consisted of: (1) saute of king eryngi mushrooms and baby spinach; (2) puree of parsnip (our favorite); (3) orange beets; and (4) white beans and wild rice - the beans were far too al dente for my liking; the under-cooking just didn't allow the creamy warm flavor to come through, in my opinion.

gallery_41870_2503_19753.jpg

Cheese plate followed, with the crispy hazelnut bread so tasty I asked for some to take home to the kids. And we finished off with the hazelnut-praline eclair with praline ice cream.

gallery_41870_2503_24383.jpg

A beautiful meal, though be forewarned, it will burn a little hole in your wallet :raz: . A great place for a special occasion.

Claude Pelletier and Hubert Marsolais and the whole team kick ass. thanks for the great year, the memories, and the fun times. Back to McGill tomorrow, I will miss the kitchen.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

• 8 months later...

After a honeymoon in NYC, and being underwhelmed at several places (although I must say, Per Se was quite a treat, everything was outstanding!) it was good to come home and eat Montreal food again. Here are a few pictures from our meal the other night. It's really quite eye opening to see that Montreal has restaurants that surpass in quality of food and attention to service those that are hyped up to be so outstanding in other places.