• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boston Restaurant Recommendations

dweller

In Ogunquit Maine, DinnerArrows for great food or their less expensive facing the ocean, Amaerican bistro, for lunch.

Sitting outside at Hamersly's in the south end.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

We am visiting Boston in August arriving late saturday night from London and departing wednesday morning...i want to make the most out of our visit and would really appreciate some help.

The only reservation so far is for No9 Park for our last dinner, btw what does 'business casual' constitute ?

Thinking about hiring a car on the Monday and heading out to Cape Cod for casual late seafood lunch...Impudent oyster ? Wicked oyster ? need to make reservations ? or are we crazy driving there in early August holiday traffic ?

Meanwhile back to Boston...other places that look worth a punt...

The Butchers Block

B & G Oysters

Uni

FuGaKyu

EVOO

I love casual places where the food and wine comes first so if there is something i am missing out on please tell me...haven't been to Boston for 8 years so this is all based on internet research. My fave places in NYC are Lupa, Babbo, Gramercy (back in the day) if that helps...

Charlie

Instead og B & G, I'd do Neptune Oyster in the North End on Salem Street.

Eastern Standard near Fenway has an eclectic menu. sometimes pricey, but way good!

And for italain, i'd do Marco again in the North End.

We am visiting Boston in August arriving late saturday night from London and departing wednesday morning...i want to make the most out of our visit and would really appreciate some help.

The only reservation so far is for No9 Park for our last dinner, btw what does 'business casual' constitute ?

Thinking about hiring a car on the Monday and heading out to Cape Cod for casual late seafood lunch...Impudent oyster ? Wicked oyster ? need to make reservations ? or are we crazy driving there in early August holiday traffic ?

The Butchers Block

B & G Oysters

Uni

FuGaKyu

EVOO

I love casual places where the food and wine comes first so if there is something i am missing out on please tell me...haven't been to Boston for 8 years so this is all based on internet research. My fave places in NYC are Lupa, Babbo, Gramercy (back in the day) if that helps...

Charlie

The dollar is weak now so you'll be able to feast on lobster every day and it will seem cheap! I know I'll get pummelled for this, but go to Summer Shack and have Jasper White's pan-roasted lobster with chervil and chives. The grilled clams with garlic butter are fantastic. EVOO has a great tasting menu, though it's a little out of the way in Somerville. Toro is a lot of fun for tapas. Eastern Standard has that NYC Odeon vibe. If you rent a car, go to the North Shore and have fried clams at the Clam Box in Ipswich.

The Butchers Block

B & G Oysters

Uni

FuGaKyu

EVOO

Charlie

Instead og B & G, I'd do Neptune Oyster in the North End on Salem Street.

Eastern Standard near Fenway has an eclectic menu. sometimes pricey, but way good!

And for italain, i'd do Marco again in the North End.

Great thankyou - I read about Neptune on this site somewhere but had forgotten it, looks like i may have to do both.... and thanks for the tips on North End - I will get googling....cheers

The Butchers Block

B & G Oysters

Uni

FuGaKyu

EVOO

Charlie

The dollar is weak now so you'll be able to feast on lobster every day and it will seem cheap! I know I'll get pummelled for this, but go to Summer Shack and have Jasper White's pan-roasted lobster with chervil and chives. The grilled clams with garlic butter are fantastic. EVOO has a great tasting menu, though it's a little out of the way in Somerville. Toro is a lot of fun for tapas. Eastern Standard has that NYC Odeon vibe. If you rent a car, go to the North Shore and have fried clams at the Clam Box in Ipswich.

Lobster, clams with garlic butter - you are talking my language - can't wait !!

Will certainly check out your other recs, thanks for taking time to reply.

Looks like there is going to be some serious eating going on...will be writing a report and posting on my return if you guys are interested ? cheers

WHS -

I'm with you on Jasper's pan lobster dish. One of the best things I've ever tasted, ever! I think the recipe is in one of his books, too, if anyone wants to try it at home.

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

You can dress pretty much anyway you want at No.9: some treat it as casual but others tend to dress a little and treat it special.

Uni is by far the best sushi in Boston. Sit at the bar and ask the chef to take care of you: not traditional fish on rice and always something special.

I would do Neptune if you want shellfish since you are doing No.9.

Best steak is a toss-up with Abe&Louies and Capital Grill being Boston landmarks and newly opened KO Prime and Boston Public.

Enjoy the city.

Looks like there is going to be some serious eating going on...will be writing a report and posting on my return if you guys are interested ? cheers
Absolutely... nay, a mandatory requirement! :wink:

Good point on the dollar-status. Wait to buy camera batteries until you get here.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Thought I'd just stick this on the end of an existing thread...looking for cheap eats in Boston in a restaurant that is, ideally, uniquely Boston or just unique (though holes in the wall are fine, too). No seafood, but anything else -- from excellent burgers to funky ethnic -- appreciated.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 4 weeks later...

Eastern Standard is open til midnight during the week, and til 1AM on weekends: http://www.easternstandardboston.com/ES_viewer.html It's a brasserie along the lines of La Coupole or Odeon.

Toro is a great tapas place--open til 1AM. No reservations, but a great crowd, friendly service.

Peach Farm is a good Chinese place that stays open til 2AM.

Eastern Standard is open til midnight during the week, and til 1AM on weekends: http://www.easternstandardboston.com/ES_viewer.html It's a brasserie along the lines of La Coupole or Odeon. 

Toro is a great tapas place--open til 1AM.  No reservations, but a great crowd, friendly service. 

Peach Farm is a good Chinese place that stays open til 2AM.

I was going to recommend ES also. i didn't eat there last time I was in late for cocktails but it was very busy with others who were .

for a more intimate and very fun/lively atmospherethere's Tremont 647 in the South End. All wood fired grill bistro food w/ latin and asian influences. website has current menu.

in Somerville, 5 min. from Harvard Square, are EVOO and Gargoyles on the Square. Both are intimate elegant bistros w/ attractive dining rooms and very friendly staff. Both have much more interesting menus than Eastern Standard.

both websites have current menus.

these 3 are our "Go-to" favorite restnts in Boston area.

The cafe at No. 9 Park serves until 11 or so, as I recall. Excellent food.

I was in Boston a couple of weeks ago looking for a later meal, and came away with the impression (not for the first time) that Boston closes down pretty early.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Thanks everyone

I'm considering "late" on american standards...let's say that the plane lands at 8:30 pm, luckily at 9:30pm at the hotel, luckily ready to go at 10:30-11:00pm

And it's not for me, I'll be in California by those same days my friend who asked me for advice will be there for the folliage

Edited by filipe (log)

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

Thanks everyone

I'm considering "late" on american standards...let's say that the plane lands at 8:30 pm, luckily at 9:30pm at the hotel, luckily ready to go at 10:30-11:00pm

And it's not for me, I'll be in California by those same days my friend who asked me for advice will be there for the folliage

Also check out www.chowhound.com--the Boston board has a lot of activity.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This may be covered in other topics to some extent or another, but I'm aiming for a wider area than best, budget, gastropubs or some other narrower category.

Asking for recommendations for restaurants in Boston in general- cheap, moderately expensive (tho some sense of price range would help, websites would help too), whatever. Style of food doesn't matter- we're an omnivorous bunch with rather broad palates.

Sincerely,

Dante

(who has lived in New England for five years and still hasn't gone to Boston for any reason)

Take a look at the collection of places I have saved to my Google Map. It's a pretty broad spectrum of recommended or (personally) tried places.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=l&hl=en&g....373047&t=h&z=9

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...