• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boston Restaurant Recommendations

dweller

Probably the best choice within walking distance is No. 9 Park. If you want something really fancy with a high end wine list, you could also look at The Federalist. Finally, for a little bit of old world Boston mixed with good food, there is Locke-Ober. All are within reasonable walks of the Ritz. If you don't want to leave the building, you can also get a pretty good meal at Blu.

I think I would go to No 9 park , or to Radius.

No 9 park is a bit more intimate, Radius has a more metropolitan feel. Both have pretty smart food including local products,

and both a five minute walk.

If you want to have a wine centered meal then troquet might be another option.

http://www.no9park.com

http://www.radiusrestaurant.com

http://www.troquetboston.com/

I dn't know The Federalist, but I'd certainly second No. 9 Park, which has to be among the city's very best. It's on the opposite side of the Common from your hotel, probably 1/2 mile if you walk through the public garden and the Common -- Your hotel can surely give you walking directions.

Okay - so our plans have changed and it is no longer just my husband and me dining on Saturday night. We are now taking three hungry college students to dinner but would still like to be close to our hotel - Ritz Carlton, Boston Common. HELP!!!

Stephanies is fairly pedestrian. And, really, I don't think there are that many great food options along Newbury. Radius is at the far end the Back Bay from where you are staying and is very good but is austere and quiet and may not be the best for the college students.

No. 9 Park has their Cafe which is walk-in only. When I lived in Boston we went there several times and never had to wait all that long for a table...although with 5 it could be tough. I will say that, in my opinion, the Cafe is a better option than the restaurant anyway. Far less stodgy and much better price point. Plus the entirety of the wine cellar is available.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

If you're with 3 hungry college students, how about PF Changs China Bistro? Upscale, trendy, and lots of food. Lively atmosphere. I think the charms of No 9 Park or Radius would be lost on them.

Edited by WHS (log)

What is wrong with the choices on Newbury? Have you ever dined at Stephanies?

not all of the choices are bad, but I hear most of the trendy ones should be avoided: stephanies, sonsies, etc.

I have never dined at stephanie's, but I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on the place it's mainly packed due to the patio seating. You get a great view of all the rich snobs as they walk pass you carrying their louis boston bags. Don't mind me, I'm just jealous because I'm poor (:

I would try out no. 9 park seeing as how everyone has suggested it, I myself have never been there but I have never heard one bad thing. If you want to walk a bit you might want to check out Eastern Standard in kenmore square. The food is kind of american/french bistro fare and they have wonderful drinks there.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I think Eastern Standard is a good idea for 5 for 60 - 70 a head. The bartending is superb, the place is loud, noisy and a little trendy, and the food is very decent. Stay away from the offal, however.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

just out of curiosity, as a lover rof offal dishes:

what is wrong with them at eastern standard?

They were so hard that when I tried to cut into one, it sprung off the plate in defiance.

ahhh I love the offal there, it changes all the time so you get something different. Last time I was there I got some corned cow's tongue. Doesn't sound very good but it was delicious. First time I had eaten tongue too.

ahhh I love the offal there, it changes all the time so you get something different.  Last time I was there I got some corned cow's tongue.  Doesn't sound very good  but it was delicious.  First time I had eaten tongue too.

Ah - looks like I caught them on a bad night - I'll have to try again. I love me some offal:).

A few other random suggestions. I consider them within walking distance but then...I like to walk (short cab ride at any rate). Note that I've been away for a bit so this is based on my last living in Boston and also note that I agree with the recomendations already made, these are just other options:

South End:

Hamersley's Bistro

Metropolis - small, noisy but with good food and a nice vibe

DeLux - not at all what you're looking for. A small bar with cartoons on the TV and a great Elvis bust in the corner. Small and alt. BUT some lovely comfort food

Beacon Hill:

Kennedy's - irish gastro-pub, food isn't bad (by pub standards it's good) and it's great for the college age crew. On Monday's they have a singer performing dirty versions of Irish folk tunes

Back Bay:

Clio - Pretty good for a high-end place but not the best. Used to have a nice "sushi" bar as their lounge

L'Espalier - Very Expensive, very good

I'd avoid Newbury Street and Haymerket (places are overpriced and GENERALLY of average quality).

If you wanted to, you could also poke around Charles Street and Cambridge street; a few places on each are pretty good (although there's a fair amount of crap as well). Charles St is also just a nice place to stroll. There's a bunch of good stuff over in Cambridge but it's outside of your travel radius.

Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We did wind up eating at Stephanies on Newbury on Saturday night. I am happy to report that the food was very good - the many choices on the menu pleased everyone. I was worried about the service but our waiter could not have been nicer.

My husband and I did have lunch at a place called Parish on Boylston. What a great spot for lunch. Mainly sandwiches that are creations of the more famous Boston chefs. I had the Blue Ginger which was fresh tuna on delicious foccacia with an asian slaw. I would definitely recommend this little find.

yeah parish is good for their beer selection. When I am there I get the vietnamese sandwich - I believe it was developed by Ken Oringer from Clio. Its a waste of money though, because I can get a better version across the common for $2.50 as opposed to $10 (no fish sauce :angry: )

glad you enjoyed yourself at Stephanie's, what did you order by the way?

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)

• 3 months later...

In case you haven't heard. Got a dinner reservation myself for the Hungry I and I'm looking for a good place for lunch. Any recommendations? Thinking about Henrietta's Table, Masa, UpStairs on the Square or Brasserie Jo. Open to other suggestions as well...

• 3 weeks later...

a bunch of restaurant guys and gals are going to the boston seafood show then to the pogues show later at 7pm. on march 11. the show is on hamilton street and were staying on tremont. any ideas for a pub-bistro type restaurant in that area? staying at the marriot on tremont if that helps. thanks!

the seafood show is at the boston convention center and the pogues are playing later that night at the orpheum. our hotel was changed to marriot of cambridge. so it would be great if there was somewhere closer to the orpheum. are you in the area chef?

If your show is at the Orphium and you're just looking for pub grub, you might try Kennedy's on Province Street (right around the corner). Nothing exciting but good pub food. Some folks object to the place on principle (it's a somers pub) but I could care less about the byzantine politics of the Boston bar scene.

You also have the Silvertone on Bromfield street.

If you want upscale, No. 9 Park is right up the street.