• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interest in New York Wines

LENNDEVOURS

However, they did also have the "first entrant" advantage, being amongst the first in upstate to place themselves as a positive alternative to jug wines from the big "evil empire" Taylor wines. This got them shelf space before the making and drinking of good wine became "hip".

To me, the product itself is pretty consistantly plonk.

Plonk is really the only way to describe it. I've tried endless bottles of Bully Hill (they have a seemingly endless array of hybrids varietals and blends) and never found one that was worth talking about.

Back to FatGuy's comments. Sure, LI wines are not cheap (at least not the ones worth drinking) but, I'd argue that many of the 15-dollar Merlots out here are better than the 5-dollar ones from Argentina. Argentina is a "hot" region in all the pubs, but there is plenty of bad wine coming out of there as well.

If the prices were THAT insane, the better wineries probably wouldn't sell out if their wines each year.

I think people need to have open minds...I think that because Wine Spectator and the like don't often write about LI (or NY wines)...lots of wine drinkers, even supposed "wine lovers" can't or won't evaluate them without bias.

It's a documented fact that LI wines have been seen to stand up VERY well in blind tastings conducted by so-called experts.

Lenn Thompson

Freelance Wine Writer

lenn@lenndevours.com

Visit LENNDEVOURS

why should the consumer pay 20 bucks for a bottle of good Merlot when they can get one from Argentina for 15 (or less)?

..... Bully Hill is the one NY wine I've seen consistently in states outside of NY (but it's also one that I hear no raves about).

Deservedly so :wink: