• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No Necco in Cambridge?

Moopheus

The wife and I were in Cambridge a couple of weeks ago, and we went for a stroll down Mass Ave, and noticed that the old Necco factory had been changed to a Novartis factory. The sugary/chocolatey smell that used to hang in the air around there was gone. When did this happen? Is the factory on Cambridge street down by Lechemere also gone?

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

If you go to the NECCO website and read the history, it states the following:

NECCO relocates to a new 810,000-square-foot candy plant in Revere, MA. This new location will house all three Massachusetts facilities as well as a new warehouse.

Too bad it's left Cambridge; I love that smell when driving on Mass Ave, too! I'm also addicted to the chalky little wafers themselves, much to my wife's astonishment.... :biggrin:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I think the factory had been out of commission for a while, but Novartis just moved in this past year. The smell isn't completely gone though, it still fills the air every now and then for some reason. can't say i'm too fond of the wafers themselves though...

• 1 month later...
What?!  Next thing you know, they're going to replace the Citgo sign.

Do they at least still have the good falafel truck over by MIT?

falafel truck is there and going strong, newly outfitted with laminated picture menus. the spicy lamb falafel is my favorite

If you go to the NECCO website and read the history, it states the following:
NECCO relocates to a new 810,000-square-foot candy plant in Revere, MA. This new location will house all three Massachusetts facilities as well as a new warehouse.

Too bad it's left Cambridge; I love that smell when driving on Mass Ave, too! I'm also addicted to the chalky little wafers themselves, much to my wife's astonishment.... :biggrin:

I've been to the new location in Revere- it's over by the airport. It has no soul, none of the funky feel (and smell) of the Cambridge store. Still has big boxes of Skybars, though, so it's worth the stop if I'm in the ares, to keep my dad in stock with his favorite candy.

the truck? I need to know for HWOE in case he ever visits the alma mater.  :biggrin:

The wife remembers the catering trucks would hang out in the parking lot behind Building 66. If HWOE ever goes back there, he MUST go see the thing they've replaced Building 20 with. :shock:

When I was working at Harvard, there was a good falafel truck that usually stopped on Oxford St. behind the science center.

If Necco has consolidated, that means the Lechemere factpory must be closed too. When that was still the Borden factory, and we were poor, we'd go to the factory store and buy 'cosmetically defective' chocolates for a dollar a pound.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science