• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pepperpot Soup

Holly Moore

Even before I moved here, I believed pepperpot soup to be a Philadelphia New Years tradition. And every year since I moved here I have sought confirmation only to find that no restaurant and not even the Union League concurs.

My quest continues. Has anyone else heard of such a tradition? And more importantly does any Philadelphia restaurant or tavern brew up a kettle on New Years Day?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Woody's Bar (202 S. 13th) has traditionally dished out free cups of pepper pot soup on New Year's Day.

That's about the only day of the year when, if you see a man in a dress inside, he's straight. (The bar's owner, Bill Wood, has a long history of supporting the Mummers, and many marchers stop in after they're done parading.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

i bet they have it at city tavern.

You beat me to it. This is what I was thinking.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

it's supposed to involve tripe, as far as i know. at least that's how i always thought of it. however, the listing on the menu at citytavern.com says 'beef, pork, taro root & greens' and doesn't mention tripe.

campbell's still makes their version; available at netgrocer.com, if not in your neighborhood grocery store.

Hmm, pepperpot soup involves tripe?  I always thought it was a turtle dish for some reason...

You're thinking of Snapper Soup, for which Bookbinder's was duly famous. Now I think the only places serving it are Pearl's Oyster Bar at RTM and Sansom Street Oyster House. Both versions are good. Make sure to ask for some sherry to add "to taste". It's really what makes the soup. IMO.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hmm, pepperpot soup involves tripe?  I always thought it was a turtle dish for some reason...

You're confusing pepper pot soup and snapper soup.

(Edited after reading post directly above:) Ouch! Always read everything before posting anything. Always read everything before posting anything. Always read everything...

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Having spent almost a decade working as a cook/sous chef/pastry chef/Exec Chef in Phila, I had to make endless pots of snapper (turtle) soup and the occasional pepper pot (tripe) soup.

It was never fun cleaning the cooked turtles or working with the tripe but the end results were always rewarding.

For me the essential ingredients in snapper soup are: the turtle stock and a good veal stock, of course the herbs and spices (mace was key), finished off with lots of chopped/diced turtle meat (we would occasionally extend the meat with a bit of turkey if the turtles were small), chopped hard boiled egg and a good splash of a fine dry sherry. YUM!

You can still find good versions of snapper soup from time to time but I have rarely seen pepper pot available.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ward (log)
I have never met a miserly wine lover

• 2 months later...

I was browsing through an old Saveur (Jan/Feb 2004) tonight and saw a recipe and reference to a Pepper Pot Dish! (It was in a story picking Philly as one of it's top 100 best things for the year, here as "Most Underrated Am. Food Town").

Anyway, the recipe is an adaptation called: "Veal Osso Buco Pepper-Pot Style". (it does have tripe in addition to the veal). The recipe is not in Saveur's on line archive.

The recipe is credited from Lacroix at the Rittenhouse.

Did anyone actually have pepperpot soup this past New Years?

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"