• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Missing From This Picture?

jamiemaw

More whisk(e)y lists in more establishments. Apart from Fetz, Jay’s at West and my own I haven’t found much to get excited about.

Sean Heather

Isn't this a market driven issue ?

10 years ago everyone had a whisky list and the consumer only wanted to drink MacCallan and Lagavulin so why carry $1000 worth of inventory.

Whisky lists will come back when the dining (drinking) public demands them. I want to know where the good Rum lists are.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Ooof. How could I forget Hamburger Mary's, Davie Street's other late-night bastion of all foods conducive to the absorption of alcohol. Who says you have to go to Denny's to get all-day breakfast?!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

More whisk(e)y lists in more establishments. Apart from Fetz, Jay’s at West and my own I haven’t found much to get excited about.

Come on down Sean. I'm at 50+ now and going strong, but it's true, there isn't much call for it these days. Just as well, I don't feel like sharing most of them! :raz:

I'm a huge fan of the shabeen, strong work.

I've been watching the gastro pub thing lately, too. It looks like my new project (cross fingers) will be going in that direction, in a very challenging, up and coming location as well. I think you've been reading my mind.

I agree with the p.r. shtick, but hey, that's the game. Sometimes I feel like the kid that gets picked last for dodgeball when I read all the glossy food tabloids, but my guests still appreciate what I do, as do yours, if their testimonials to me are any indication.

We are loosing what little dining history we have. I would love to see somebody buy “Only Seafood”, “Ovaltine Café”, etc and restore them to their former glory. I tried last year but my timing was all wrong.

I'm in, let's do a collective. I say that we get all the van city egulleters together and develop a non-profit (like we have a choice :laugh: ) operation. We can get a heritage designation and organize a group to purchase it, just like how they save rainforests. All we need is a celebrity spokesmodel. Do you think Angelina Jolie will jump on board?

Owner

Winebar @ Fiction

Lucy Mae Brown

Century - modern latin -

I'm in, let's do a collective.  I say that we get all the van city egulleters together and develop a non-profit (like we have a choice :laugh: ) operation.  We can get a heritage designation and organize a group to purchase it, just like how they save rainforests.  All we need is a celebrity spokesmodel.  Do you think Angelina Jolie will jump on board?

Sean(s),

I'm no Angelina Jolie, but I'm in on this collaborative. I have a connection in the historical community that may help as well. There have been efforts with other buildings, but I don't know of any pertaining to the restaurant industry in particular. Great idea!

A.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

Thoughts:

Smoked meat sandwich: yes, it's lacking. Rosie's on Robson has something that wouldn't quite pass muster in Montréal, but it's not bad, and they also have latke with sour cream and applesauce, so those of you with an Eastern-deli-jones might try them out (Robson and Hamilton).

Wiener Schnitzel mit Spätzle...well, I doubt any Schnitzel will top the one I had on the IC between Salzburg and Zürich, but when I have a craving I get one from the William Tell Bistro (I lunch at the restaurant next door (same kitchen) several times a week, and they'll get me a Schnitzel if I ask nicely). Their Spätzle isn't the best I've ever had, but it's fine. The veal is lovely (Beatty between Robson and Georgia).

I miss the street vendors from back east, as well, and what I really miss are the kosher hot dogs. If it's cooked on the street, it better be kosher to begin with, is my thinking. I miss kosher dogs in general. The only supermarket I've ever seen them in is Choices on Cambie, and they were prohibitively expensive...

I think service is improving in this town. When I first started dining out around here, around nine years ago, a lot of the time, service staff acted as though they were doing you a favour, rather than their job. I've slung hash and cocktails, and I've eaten at all manner of establishments...I'm not one of those "on the side" people, nor do I try to completely change a plate, and I don't expect my toes to be kissed (well, not by my service staff), but I do expect my wine to be opened at the table, and reasonable requests to be honoured...that is the fault of the owner or manager, I suppose, in a lack of training. The waiter at Hy's who included the croutons in my Caesar when I was Atkinsing and had asked him to leave them out, and I had a moment of inattention when he was preparing and didn't notice them going in...he made me another whole salad from scratch, as he should have.

I've never eaten at French Laundry, but does Lumière not qualify as that type of experience? I haven't made it to Le Crocodile or Le Gavroche yet, either. I know the room is not so dressy, but eating at Parkside, I normally spend a great deal of time doing the "I have good food in my mouth" chair dance. Ditto for Lumière, Pastis, and Bishop's.

I could yap all day but I have Christmas shopping to do!

:smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Whenever I watch "Ciao America," (probably my favourite FoodTV show, btw) I'm always amazed and a bit envious of all the delicious things Mario gets to taste. In particular, I wanted those incredible, deep-dish pizzas from Chicago. The chef lined a springform pan with a rich, pastry crust and then filled the crust with layers of sausage, peppers, sauce, a ton of cheese, and topped off the whole monstrosity with another circle of pastry.

I really wish we had inexpensive, Chicago-style pizzerias in Vancouver--or just inexpensive, really tasty Italian food in general.

Edited by Ling (log)

What's missing? My list, many already mentioned:

BYO Restaurants

Good casual trattoria/bistro-type places that are family friendly

Good bakeries

Good delis

Pubs with good food aka gastro pubs

Good family style italian

Good pizza

Casual seafood places, Go Fish is a start

What we have too much of;

Bad sushi places!

Cheers,

Anne

I have to second (or third or fourth) the "good delis" idea- I pick up lunch every day when I'm working, and there ain't no time to sit and wait for my to-go order. I wish there were more good places with salads and paninis and what not. It's so hard to get a healthy meal on the go. As much as I love Hyrise, I'm getting very very bored.

I also wish there were more casual restaurants a la the Cactus Club type(i.e. consistent food, most always an available table) but with some more INTERESTING food. I love to try new things but sometimes I'd much rather go to Cactus Club and get to eat within an hour than wait an hour to sit down at Bin. It's sad that it is my current favourite place but I've only been there six or seven times because I can't handle the hunger pangs.

Oh, and *gulp* excuse my ignorance, but what is a gastro pub?

What's missing? My list, many already mentioned:

BYO Restaurants

Good casual trattoria/bistro-type places that are family friendly

Good bakeries

Good delis

Good family style italian

Good pizza

Casual seafood places, Go Fish is a start

What we have too much of;

Bad sushi places!

Edited by Megs (log)

"Never eat more than you can lift" -Miss Piggy

BYO Restaurants

Ditto on the BYOs and gastros Barolo.

Oh, and *gulp* excuse my ignorance, but what is a gastro pub?

Gastro..... Pub food done with love!

e.g. My interpretation of gastro 'Bangers and Mash'

Pork and veal sausages made in house, with the perfect blend of seasoning and spices. Accompanied with premium potatoes that were simmered to perfection, passed through a tammy, monteed with butter, warm cream and seasoned to perfection. This dish would be then drowned in a beautiful veal jus that was made in house with the freshest of ingredients and the utmost respect for all that entailed in the rendition.

Oh no!!!  Don't go to Timmy Ho's!!!  Quick, we need to find a new bakery. 

I agree, COBB'S MUST BE STOPPED!!!!!!!

Greetings,.

NO........Let's Welcome Cobb's.......

Starbucks helped develop Vancouver's love of "decent" coffee.

There's an old story.... if your the onlt lawyer in town , you will starve...

When the another lawyer moves in, you both make money.

Cobb's will spend the marketing energy to raise the awareness in Vancouver that there is a better alternative to buying bread at Safeway.

Terra Breads have done a great job, but limited to the west side.

Nows that chance for all closet bakers to dust off old dreams and start competing with Cobbs.....

Shortly after Starbucks was on the front page of the Vancouver Sun, for opening across the street from the Calabria on Commercial drive, I decided to check it out.

I was at the bar of the Calabria, and asked Nick , what he thought.

He said, you walk into Starbucks, and the most exciting thing that could happen, would be a custmer being blinded by the sharp lights and tripping over there shoe laces.........here at the Calabria,,.,,,,,,,someone could get shot lol

I laughed so hard......and was commited

Cobbs will develop the mass market, there will always be a strong percentage of us , that will be seeking higher ground. This is an opportunity.

Check Out Transylvania Bakery Broadway just west of Waterloo, bakes in a wood burning oven, and the owner is a character....

p.

Dress British Think Yiddish

What's missing?

Southern, Creole, Cajun.... are there any options? Even bad ones?

Real BBQ. OK, there's that place on Broadway. But more. Ideally located near auto body shops, for authenticity. BBQ tastes better in industrial neighbourhoods. Don't ask me why.

Deli, as found in Montreal or NYC. However (dating myself), the bagel situation is a hell of a lot better than 30 years ago. And poutine at least exists now. Progress is being made.

Mexican. Remember Hombre's, in Gastown and later on East Hastings? That was as good as we ever got. What happened to Les and Ruby, anyway?

Sichuan. We have enough big Cantonese seafood restaurants, thanks. That said, I'd rather have Cantonese food in Vancouver than in Hong Kong. The quality of both ingredients and cooking in Van. is fantastic. Really.

(Sneaking this in, even though it's not food) NHL hockey. Do you know how frustrating it is to have been living overseas for 15 years, and to be coming back to live in an apartment walking distance from GM Place in winter for 4 months, only to find that the NHL's on strike this season? :angry: I could kill for tickets to see the Habs. Well, not really. But I would have been willing to pay a lot of money for them.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Come on, Cobs is a pile of crap. I'm not even sure that it tastes better than Safeway's "bread". By the way, do you know that cobs uses additives that accelerate the degradation of complex sugars in the flours to feed the yeast, therefore making the all process a lot quicker.

And that's just plain wrong, because long fermentation means better quality bread (flavour, storage)...

Transilvania's bread is OK, but what i like most about the place is... the place! Last time i went, i picked up half a loaf, came home and saw that i bought a whole wheat loaf with roasted pieces of charcoals mixed in. One could call it authentic, but hey!, I'll go to Menphis Blues for a taste of BBQ...

So far, i havent tasted anything in BC as good as Wildfire's bread in Victoria. Then, second but far behind, would be Fieldstone in Surrey.

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

"Pork and veal sausages made in house, with the perfect blend of seasoning and spices. Accompanied with premium potatoes that were simmered to perfection, passed through a tammy, monteed with butter, warm cream and seasoned to perfection. This dish would be then drowned in a beautiful veal jus that was made in house with the freshest of ingredients and the utmost respect for all that entailed in the rendition."

You might wanna try Bravo Bistro, on Davie (& Bute) for exactly that kind of food.

All i can say is that we do it with passion. We cook what we'd like to eat. Stop by when you have the chance.

Edited by edm (log)

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

Thoughts:

Smoked meat sandwich: yes, it's lacking. Rosie's on Robson has something that wouldn't quite pass muster in Montréal, but it's not bad, and they also have latke with sour cream and applesauce, so those of you with an Eastern-deli-jones might try them out (Robson and Hamilton).

:smile:

How about Kaplans Deli on Oak? It's been a few years but I do remember it being as close to Montreal smoked meat as I've had in Vancouver. Of course, nothing will ever beat a medium smoked meat at Schwartz's in Montreal!!. I used to have my sister send me a brisket from there every year but the problem is that I was never able to find a great loaf of rye. And besides, you just can't beat the atmoshphere of Schwartz's!!

Derek

You might wanna try Bravo Bistro, on Davie (& Bute) for exactly that kind of food. All i can say is that we do it with passion. We cook what we'd like to eat. Stop by when you have the chance.

Cool! Another eGulleter is outted! :cool:

How about Kaplans Deli on Oak?  It's been a few years but I do remember it being as close to Montreal smoked meat as I've had in Vancouver.  Of course, nothing will ever beat a medium smoked meat at Schwartz's in Montreal!!.

Oh man! I agree with you 100% on Kaplans. I always feel like such a wimp when I order the "not-so-big" size, but there's no way I can finish the larger sandwich.

Not that it's on a menu (that I know of - Neil? Brian?), Chef Fowke & nwyles pastrami is legendary in these parts. I'd put it up against Schwartz's anyday ... having never been to Schwartz's I can't comment on the atmosphere.

A.

Come on, Cobs is a pile of crap. I'm not even sure that it tastes better than Safeway's "bread".

OK - here's the deal, DON"T SHOP AT COB'S - or open an alternative across the street and I'm sure your excellence will drive the Aussie's out of business, but stop with the collective whining. My pursuit of good Deli has long ago eliminated Kaplan's but I don't slag them I just look elsewhere.

It's a free market and if Cob's, or Starbuck's or M & M are not meeting people's expectations they won't go there. The quickest road to bankruptcy is to think you are smarter than your customer.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Come on, Cobs is a pile of crap. I'm not even sure that it tastes better than Safeway's "bread". By the way, do you know that cobs uses additives that accelerate the degradation of complex sugars in the flours to feed the yeast, therefore making the all process a lot quicker.

And that's just plain wrong, because long fermentation means better quality bread (flavour, storage)...

Transilvania's bread is OK, but what i like most about the place is... the place! Last time i went, i picked up half a loaf, came home and saw that i bought a whole wheat loaf with roasted pieces of charcoals mixed in. One could call it authentic, but hey!, I'll go to Menphis Blues for a taste of BBQ...

So far, i havent tasted anything in BC as good as Wildfire's bread in Victoria. Then, second but far behind, would be Fieldstone in Surrey.

I have no problem with Cobb's. Let me be clear, they won't get my business.

I'm happy that they have raised the bar (on a mass level) and have complete faith in the "market" place . Would rather channel my energy into finding alterantives and or encouraging new ventures to be launched.

This site helps, I was unaware of Cobb's use of additives and will further investigate .

Thanks.

Dress British Think Yiddish

I totally agree with what Keyes is saying. for example, is that when starbucks opens up across from your local independant coffee shop, they'd better look out, sharpen their nose and focus on quality. Or be crushed. They might have been getting away with sloppy cappuccino - not any more.

Shops like Cobbs serve two functions: they get the masses out of a white bread buns master world - bringing them to the next step (however slight, it is progress). they also prevent the true quality shops from getting lazy and taking thier success for granted, keeping them striving ahead.

As an everyday Terra Breads customer, I can certainly say that when cobbs opened up on the same block, Terra noticed. they picked up their heads and focused on quality quality, they are smart enough to know this is how they will beats Cobbs every time. They're doing it very well.

a.

Alistair Durie

Elysian Coffee