• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetarian options in Vegas

there are actual options! :biggrin:

Go Raw Cafe, Wild Oats, and Raw Truth Cafe, among them ...

Then Komol Thai Restaurant their website is here

this is pretty comprehensive! :biggrin:

Las Vegas definitely doesn't seem to cater to vegetarians as much as other metro areas. If you've traveled as a vegetarian before, you probably know some of the tricks, such as to look for ethnic restaurants. Indian, Chinese, Middle Eastern, and usually Italian restaurants all offer vegie options.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

1) Rosemary's.

Check out the dinner menu, and look at the sides. Very caring preparation: seasonal, artful, highly recommended here and elsewhere.

2) Canaletto in the Venetian. Yes, it's a grill and rosticerria, but they have lots of pastas that are vegetarian. Not overly pricey, and the food is truly Italian.

3) Borders Grill in the Mandalay Bay. Excellent, mid-priced Mexi food, which always has plenty of vegetarian options.

4) Broken record: Lotus of Siam!

5) Wolfgang Puck at MGM Grand has some dandy salads and pizzas. I'm sure other options, as well. The food is GOOD. Again, mid-priced fare.

When you say you're vegetarians, does that mean real vegetarians, or the kind who eat fish? (Seriously. You can't believe the people I know who claim to be vegetarians who eat animals!)

5) Wolfgang Puck at MGM Grand has some dandy salads and pizzas. I'm sure other options, as well. The food is GOOD. Again, mid-priced fare.

When you say you're vegetarians, does that mean real vegetarians, or the kind who eat fish? (Seriously. You can't believe the people I know who claim to be vegetarians who eat animals!)

Real Vegetarians who have never eaten meat or fish in their lives. I would love to go to Lotus of Siam but isnt fish sauce omnipresent in thai food?

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Real Vegetarians who have never eaten meat or fish in their lives. I would love to go to Lotus of Siam but isnt fish sauce omnipresent in thai food?

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

My local thai places actually have vegetarian menus in addition to the regular menu. Call and ask about the specifics. There have been so many rave reviews that I think it'd be worth a call.

A vegetarian Indian friend said he had a good meal at Aladdin's Spice Market Buffet and he didn't go home hungry. He doesn't eat meat or fish. I do know he'll eat ice cream :) My friend also likes the Cheesecake factory since they're pretty good about not including meat if you tell them you are vegetarian.

This site seems to have a good list http://vegasreference.com/vegas/vegetarian.html

and http://www.vegsource.com/travel/namerica/messages/9083.html might be a candidate.

There are also menus available for purchase at http://www.goemerchant7.com/?Merchant=vivalasvegasn if you want to check. Anyone know if restaurants will fax/email a menu?

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for the suggestions.We had a great time in vegas and I shall add to all those singing praises of Lotus of Siam.The staff was very helpful and recommended suitable choices.The spicy soup was great for 2 of us with colds,even though we were almost crying cleaning out our bowls.

The surprise for me was the sticky rice with mango.Crunchy and a little salty,it was the perfect partner to the sweet and slightly sour mango.

I only wish we could have dined there again