• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

favorite bottled beers

jhlurie

In Kalamazoo: 2 big breweries right across the street from each other--Bell's and Kraftbrau. Kraftbrau is better, I think, seems to give less of a kick in the ass the next day. But Bell's is v. good. Kalamazoo Brewing Co. I believe it is widely available--I've had it in Chicago and Montana too. Their summer brew is Oberon, delicious, it's a big party in this town when the Oberon comes out, and they have a good DoubleCream Stout as well.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Ooo, there are so many. This thread makes me think of one of my favorite hang-outs in DC, the Brickskellar. They have literally 1000s of beers from all over the world and the states. Their menu is the most extensive beer menu I have ever seen.

top beers/breweries in no particular order:

Abita turbo dog/purple haze. I had the latter in pitchers with crawfish in random bars in New Orleans in Feb, when it was so warm. Oh, lovely. There is a bar in Union Station that serves Turbo Dog on tap. I don't know why, but I prefer Abita beers on top. Off topic.

Pilsner Urquell. My daddy introduced this to me a long time ago.

Hacker-Schor (weiss)

Summit Weiss Ale

Czech-Var.

Boddingtons--it comes in a can. Does this count?

If faced with limited choices (i.e. Red Bull and Corona, and Sam Adams is available, I can always drink Sam--'old reliable.' I actually like their Summer Brew.

For the Northeasters, is anyone familiar with Czech Rebel? You can buy it really cheaply--I have seen it in NY and PA. Speaking of PA, does anyone recall when Rolling Rock used to be a decent beer? My father bought it in the pony bottles and would always give me some as a child. Now I cannot drink the swill. Trust me, I know my swill.

Edited by nerissa (log)

Speaking of PA, does anyone recall when Rolling Rock used to be a decent beer?  My father bought it in the pony bottles and would always give me some as a child.  Now I cannot drink the swill.  Trust me, I know my swill.

In the early 1960's, we used to go into Kern's Bar in Allentown, PA with a suitcase, and buy all the RRs we could afford, then sneak em into the dorm. They tasted great back then.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

When I lived overseas, I was very fond of Heinekein, and was amazed to discover the restorative properties that Chimay has (can't remember if it was red or blue label), when one is faced with a taxing and terrible cold.

Back on this side of the pond, I find I don't like either. They both have an 'off' taste.

I'm also a fan of Schneider Weisse, found at a local German restaurant. I'm not a big fan of hearty german fare, so my husband always has a laugh at me as I sit there with my giant German beer, a salad, and a plate of red cabbage.

Two good local brews: Legend Ale, from Richmond, and Weeping Radish: Hefe-Weizen or the Fest.

As my husband is a contractor, I often find myself hanging out with many other contractors. The house brew? Budweiser. :rolleyes:

Edited by s'kat (log)

Bellhaven St Andrew's Ale has been my favorite for the last couple of years now. It's hard to find in Manhattan, have only found it at dba, St Andrews bar and that beer shop on 23rd and 10th. I have to say in general that I haven't met a Scottish ale that I didn't like.

Bellhaven St Andrew's  Ale has been my favorite for the last couple of years now. It's hard to find in Manhattan, have only found it at dba, St Andrews bar and that beer shop on 23rd and 10th.  I have to say in general that I haven't met a Scottish ale that I didn't like.

I've only had their basic "Scottish Ale," but that was really neat.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

As a Canadian, I feel somewhat slighted by the omission of all of the great beer found north of the border (although I did spot a vote for Moosehead).

It could be argued that most of our mass produced beer (Molson, etc.) is very good and there are a tremendous number of fantastic smaller breweries who produce a wide variety of stellar beers.

Personal favourites are Boreale Rousse and St. Ambroise

Bellhaven St Andrew's  Ale has been my favorite for the last couple of years now. It's hard to find in Manhattan, have only found it at dba, St Andrews bar and that beer shop on 23rd and 10th.  I have to say in general that I haven't met a Scottish ale that I didn't like.

I've only had their basic "Scottish Ale," but that was really neat.

Oh don't get Bellhaven Ale and Bellhaven St Andrews Ale confused. They are two very different ales and the former is pretty vile in my opinion.

Ooo, there are so many. This thread makes me think of one of my favorite hang-outs in DC, the Brickskellar.

The Brick is a great place. They have terrific beer tastings, presided over by Bob Tupper, as in Tupper's Hop Pocket.

My favorite bottled beer is anything from a little Belgian brewery calle Der Dolle Brouwers - Oerbier, Boskuen, or Stille Nacht. It's hard to come by, and almost always sold by the bottle. If I see any of their beers I buy as much as I can get.

For everyday, we always have Tupper's Hop Pocket.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme