• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

favorite bottled beers

jhlurie

Guinness? Forget it! Like drinking Karo syrup.

Heresy!  Actually, since the topic is bottled beers, the old Guinness bottles were pretty bad sinc ethey never had the proper carbonation and the stout always tasted a bit off.  The new bottles, however, with the plastic device in them pour a smooth creamy Guinness right out of the bottle.  Also, don't drink Guinness warm.  I never had a warm one while in either Ireland or England for tht matter.  

It may surprise you to know that Guinness is practically a "light" beer.  Lower alcohol content gives Guinness a 110 calorie count per 12oz. serving.  That's roughly one calorie more per ounce than Miller Lite at 96/12 oz.  Budweiser?  140.  Sierra Nevada Pale Ale? 150.  Anchor Steam? 145.  Thus if by Karo syrup you mean heavy and cloying - Guinness is not your man.  I will grant you that Guinness is sweet.

Now, to each their own, and I won't begrudge you your dislike of the stuff.  Just be aware that in certain circles, Guinness is mother's milk itself.  Cheers!

One of the more flavorful beers on the market is Grolsch from the Netherlands. About two months ago the company released a 1.5 liter bottle (50 ounces) - it's great for parties and the unique cap keeps the beer fresh and carbonated for hours.

After you're finished, use to bottle for extra virgin olive oil.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

first post so i will just jump in. Anything by REDHOOK! ipa. is great.I am drinking a GORDON BIERSCH marzen as i hunt and peck.hate to type but gota learn somehow!.has anyone tasted ALASKAN BREWING alt style amber ale or their spruce tip ale. I am lucky to be in staggering distance of 2 good brewerys,Stoddards-fantastic ipa.and a chain ROCK BOTTOM-A good white belgin ale.GORDON BIERSCH and TIED HOUSE are both a short drive away.

Deacon - Yes, it's very different - it costs about twice as much.

"Flavorwise" - it seems to be somewhat more bitter and cleaner.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

For my taste the belgien ales are the finest, top fermented and bottle conditioned with live yeast sediment to help it age for a couple years. I love Affligen triple,rodenbock,duvel and chimay...I believe these are beers you can use in a similar way to wine when devising a robust menu.

After belgien...give me Old Peculiar :raz: and new castle in my "house" ale

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Hey CC, have you had Martins' Pale Ale? An English ale made in Belgium. Try it if you can find it. Beeeeeer! Right now I'm snacking on a Rogue Brewery "Dead Guy Ale" brewed in Newport, Oregon. Also new around here are some micros from Utah, trying to make some new markets after the Winter Olympics. "Polygymy Porter"(Why stop at one?), St. Prove Girl (Oh! My Heck!) and a handful of others. The names are definately better than the beer.

Yeah, it used to be really hard to find. Now it's almost everywhere. My understanding is that most light beers are Pilsners. If that's true, than Pilsner Urquell is the best light beer I've ever had.

Another beer that I've been able to get a hold of more easily is Abita TurboDog. I first tried it about ten years ago when a friend brought it up from New Orleans.

BTW, this is a great thread, I have a whole list of stuff to try.

I'm also a fan of Schneider Weisse, especially if it's agitated before pouring (gets the sediment off the bottom of the bottle and into the beer, where it should be). Just about any Belgian ale will do for me, as well. My current fave is Delirium Tremens. My all-time best is a local (Saint Paul, MN, USA) brew called Summit. Their maibock is beyond me to describe. They also brew a pale ale that is my regular pour and a very good IPA.

• 4 months later...
...give a try to the stuff coming out of Victory Brewing, Downingtown, PA

Found this thread a little late, but WOW! D-town's my hometown, haven't been back for 7 years & look what happens while I'm gone! That's really cool, glad it's sold in CT as well so's I can try some now. Thanks, BigBear!!!

...give a try to the stuff coming out of Victory Brewing, Downingtown, PA

Found this thread a little late, but WOW! D-town's my hometown, haven't been back for 7 years & look what happens while I'm gone! That's really cool, glad it's sold in CT as well so's I can try some now. Thanks, BigBear!!!

Make sure you try their Golden Monkey, a Belgian strong ale. Careful though. It's 9.5 % alcohol.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

For pilsner-type beers, I like Pilsner Urquell and Czechvar.

Paper City Brewery, in Holyoke, MA, has a great lineup of microbrews. clickety. They're available at Table and Vine and Bread & Circus locally, but I'm not sure if other Whole Foods markets would carry the line.

it's *never* too late to find a thread.  in fact, i wish more people would find old threads.  there's so much stuff that goes missed.  even by me.  :blink:

OK, you got it then !

Would it be snotty of me to say the Cantillons, all of them?

one near & dear to my heart that I buy over and over:

La Chouffe Golden Ale. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so good.

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 1 month later...
Yeah, it used to be really hard to find. Now it's almost everywhere. My understanding is that most light beers are Pilsners. If that's true, than Pilsner Urquell is the best light beer I've ever had.

yeah, but not all pilsners are light beers! :smile:

I've seen Guiness in a magazine's "light" beer taste test. According to the magazine Guiness has almost as few calories as the average american light beer. Guess which beer won the contest? :wink:

• 4 weeks later...