• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Magic Hat beer

stellabella

every time i go to delaware to visit family i bring my husband back a case or two of yuengling from atlantic liquors in rehoboth beach--believe it or not, we really can't find yuengling in atlanta, even tho they have a brewery in florida now, i hear.

i noticed 12-packs of Magic Hat beer out of vermont.  i admit the catchy labels attracted me first.  i've tried the fat angel lager, but am saving the stout for my husband.  i like what i've tried--the lager was brilliant amber, not too hoppy, with a nice cloudy texture--it felt like sustenance.  other opinions?  how widely is this distributed?  neither my husband nor i had ever seen it before.

but, hey, nothing beats a yuengling porter!

nothing beats a yuengling porter...

They're building a new and improved brewery just outside of Pottsville, scheduled to be opened for full use in June, IIRC.  The beer is widely available in NJ

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Just to chime in here, we drank both Magic Hat #9 and Fat Angel over the holidays up in New Hampshire, but they are pretty widely distributed up and down the east coast.

They have a cute site, too:

http://www.magichat.net/main.html

Beergeeks can't stop talking about this microbrewery and I have to admit I like their complex, funky, flavorful beers.  It makes me wish chocolate companies had enough verve and spirit to craft similarly interesting and risky chocolates.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Steve -

you raise an interesting issue with your comment about chocolate makers lacking the verve and spirit to make interesting and risky chocolates.

Micro-brewing seems to be driven in part by the search for unusual and new interpretations of grain and liquids as well as the customer's acceptance of a price perhaps 2x a typical commodity beer price. Bud is ű.99 a case on sale, Catamount is ฤ, Ramstein is ว.

Is there a similar need for chocolate lovers to seek out unique flavors and interpretations?

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo