• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ferrandi/Herme

artisanbaker

Thanks for posting that, artisanbaker!

I downloaded the pdf and although my French is pretty lousy, it appeared to be talking about stages at Pierre Hermes lab.

Am I right about this?

About 35 hours for 1.800 euros.

Schweet!

BTW, I really like the way he does his fruit tarts, with what appears to be a meringue or maybe even a white chocolate disc.

2317/5000

Hi Ted,

Herme's staff has arranged for training per Herme to take place at a new, specially designed facility by certified instructors.

It reads that the demand for stages at the actual production facility has resulted in this collaboration. It's more legal and it is probably cheaper than interupting production.

regards

So they designed a place for people to be trained more or less in the Hermes style?

Also so no one messes up the actual production lab or rather the products being made in it?

Seems pretty swell.

BTW, does PH have a website?

And, your French must be pretty fluent also!

Thanks again.

2317/5000

"So they designed a place for people to be trained more or less in the Hermes style?"

exactly. the quality of training is likely to be at least on par with the Ferrandi program which enjoys an excellent reputation. It might be better depending on how much it's micromanaged by Herme.

"Also so no one messes up the actual production lab or rather the products being made in it?"

exactly

"BTW, does PH have a website?"

oddly, no.

Edited by artisanbaker (log)

It also sounds to me like this could be an attempt to create another revenue stream--open a little cooking school on the side for classes, capitalize on the Herme brand name, etc, and why not? MOF's less famous and more traditional make the rounds teaching at traditional cooking schools all over Europe, it becomes the second career of many MOF's, some open their own schools, and students still pay top dollar for these classes--why wouldn't Herme, who is not a MOF himself and yet is more famous than all of them put together, want to attract some of this money? I'm surprised he hasn't done something like this sooner, surely all of his classes would fill up with Japanese housewives alone, not to mention American pastry seekers looking to get some Herme cachet on their resumes.

Win-win for all concerned. However, it remains to be seen whether this program is vocational, avocational, professional, serious, an exercise in branding, etc.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com