• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Search for Prior's Double Dark

Valde

Has anyone ever heard, or seen a beer called "Prior's Double Dark".  I've never seen it in a bottle, just tap.

I know of only two places that had the beer, both being in New York City.  One was the Barrow Street Alehouse, which no longer carries it.  The other bar was one on 6th Street between Avenue A & B.  I forget the name of the place.

It has always been one of my favorite beers, well worth going out of your way for, however I'm not quite sure if it's because of it's taste or the novelty of finding it.

It is a dark beer, like it's name says, but tastes like a lighter beer going down.  I can't quite describe it, but Warsteiner Dark may be in the right neighborhood.  It's been a while since I've had a pint of the stuff.

Anyways, if you've got any info at all on this beer, I would be grateful.

Looks like it's no longer made.

http://www.loopers-delight.com/archive/pos...igestV97-24.txt

The price argument reminds me of Prior's Double Dark, a wonderful

Philadelphia-brewed beer available for $2 - $3 a six back in the days when

there were *no* drinkable American beers. Some marketing guy decided that

they'd sell more if they were priced and sold more like imports -

specifically Guinness - and all of a sudden the beer came in 4-paks which

cost $6. Within a year, no more Prior's in any form.