• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet NJ Hot Dog Run (pictures!)

finker99

I'll have to stop there on the way home and do a book report. I wasn't impressed with the place on 22 Texas Weiner II. Something strange about everyone ordering burgers and nobody ordering dogs. Woof.

After reading this I HAD to go try Syd's.

I went around 1 p.m. on a Monday and found it busy but not packed. We sat at the counter and I ordered a dog with EVERYTHING for myself and the kids meal dog plain for my almost three year old daughter. The *oversized* dog had a good texture and flavor, a little more porky - I know this isn't right but I can't think of the right term - light meat/lightly smoked? than I like but the spicing helped make up for this. As a whole the dog was good, although I would probably ask them to go light on the kraut next time or skip it. Plus the bun ended up being a bit soggy, I think they may have neglected to toast it so I'd double check that too.

My nitpicking aside, my daughter loved it. By the time we left all we had were two small bites on her plate along with a couple of smears of ketchup. This after she had eaten lunch at preschool. The fries were tasty too, at least the ones that my daughter let me snag off her plate.

The sweet potato fries were certainly tempting but we passed on them. The dog was a meal and I ended up being glad I hadn't ordered anything else. I was happy to see that the menu had a reasonable seletction of other items, my husband not getting the dog thing would be happier with a burger and a shake.

Most of the other diners were ordering dogs or burgers, although two gentlemen nearby ordered dishes made with the grilled chicken so that might be tried sometime, only if someone else orders it though!

And of course we hit the bakery afterwards, for a cookie for her and onion rolls for me.

Looking forward to hitting one of the other spots sometime in the future.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

The *oversized* dog had a good texture and flavor, a little more porky

It better well damn not be... they are supposed to be Glatt Kosher!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The *oversized* dog had a good texture and flavor, a little more porky

It better well damn not be... they are supposed to be Glatt Kosher!

*snort* I KNEW this was not the right wording but couldn't think of how to put it better. Oh well, maybe not as smoked or not as beefy would have been better. Hey wait I did try to qualify my description at the time. Oh well, didn't mean to annoy anyone.

Alison

Just to be clear, Syd's isn't a kosher establishment, but the dogs are all beef.

Yeah, was clued into that by the Bacon Cheese Burgers. And I thought I remembered that the dogs were "kosher style" i.e. all beef but they still tasted a bit light to me, a taste I associate (incorrectly it seems) with too much pork. Still they were the BEST I have had in years and I will be back.

AlisonA

Hi guys does anyone remember the trivia question asked by the cashier at Tabatchnicks???....I think I just found out the answer

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 1 month later...

OK heaving this up with a BIG BUMP :laugh:

How about version 2.0 for early -mid May

come on John put in for a day off and lets get this old dog back on its feet

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Tracey: If there is to be one, it has to be coordinated with one of the NJ forum hosts.

If you'd like to plan an eG event, please review the How to eG events and Calendar guide policy. Rosie, Rachel, Marlene or I would be happy to assist you with this.

As this first event has run its course, and it did so prior to the institution of the new policy, I'm closing this one down so that planning for a second event can be done in a new thread when (and if) that event has been approved.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host