• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which are the best Mutton cuts

deliad

Which are the best mutton (Goat meat) cuts for a steak. What to ask for when you are in the meat shop??

I have made mutton chops and Keema in the past but never steaks. Also share some steak recipes..

Thanx

Which are the best mutton (Goat meat) cuts for a steak. What to ask for when you are in the meat shop??

I have made mutton chops and Keema in the past but never steaks. Also share some steak recipes..

Not enough meat on a goat for a decent steak...Best you can do is chops imho...Even the tenderloin is very small...

i think mutton would be kind of tough as a steak even after you tenderise it using papaya or some other commercial stuff. How do you propose to prepare, marinate and cook them?

I was thinking of marinating in wine then season with salt/pepper/some masala and then grill it. Looks like that earlier results have not been good.

Jw46 suggests that we may not even get it. I'll try and ask the butcher next time.

Edited by deliad (log)

You could try a large slice from the leg ( raan) and after the marination of your choice, slow cook it till done.Very slow.

It would help if you use a thermometer and stop at about 70 - 75 deg C. If you exceed this then you will have to use the meat in a curry.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

When I was involved with a well known NYC Chophouse that featured, "Mutton Chops", we reserved the "Sirloin" from the Shortloins we aged that we boned out and trimmed for service to regular customers as "Mutton Steaks'.

They were served whole or sliced table side as the patrons requested, was so popular it was never placed on the menu and often sold out since only 1 serving was available from every Short Loin.

The Meat was very tender with a emphasis on the character anticipated by customers who were familiar with Mutton well aged.

I'm surprised that Mutton isn't more generally available, since if prepared properly it is often better tasting then Lamb. Even the less tender cut's aren't very different tasting then Lamb, when made as , "Kabobs", "Stews" and "Braised".

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.