• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Beaujolais?

bookluvingbabe

Last weekend, my husband and I had dinner with friends and while I was drinking a very nice merlot, they opened a bottle of white wine for him. I am pretty sure they said it was a white Beaujolais. This is the first wine I can remember him actually enjoying!

I clearly must acquire a bottle or two of this for him but I'm at a loss. What should I be looking for? Any winery's to look for? Steer clear of?

Thanks!

Jennifer

As Carolyn says, it wasn't a mistake. The one all the wine geeks go ga-ga over is Jean Paul Brun Beaujolais blanc. Actually, they go ga-ga over anything by JP Brun, but that's not relevant here. Brun has much better distribution on the East Coast, and wine-searcher only shows a few stores carrying the blanc. The problem is that so little white Beaujolais is made, and you are not likely to find it on a regular basis. However, any you find are likely to be good.

If all you're looking for is a similar style, try the other Chardonnay-based wines from nearby in Burguny. Chablis, Macon, and Pouilly-Fuisse are frequently made in that crisp, clean style.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

J. Paul Brun makes a lovely white Beaujolais. And I've seen several others. At least in the NY market. White Beaujolais is similar to the wines of the Maconnais. Very close geographically and both using Chardonnay.

There is a great bit about white beaujolais in the Wine Snob's handbook. The author argues with his wine neophyte friend that there is no such thing, thing is the friend is holding one in his hand while they argue. Much like the argument I had with a friend about the screwtop closure on Kim Crawford SB. Thing was I had just opened the bottle. I am no friggin genius but.......

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/