• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Basics in the Market...

I never really liked their inventory. It always seemed like half the store was dedicated to one style of placeware.

Anyway, it looks like everything is 25 percent off.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I can't seem to place this shop? What is it near?

Well, heck! You know where the Pike Place Creamery is. It's about 15 feet behind it. :raz:

BTW, it's about 1,060 sq. feet of retail space and rent is about $2,200 a month, just in case anyone is interested in a new venture. :unsure:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

It's always sad to see a business go down, but it seemed to me that they only carried really cheap stuff. Every time I went there, all the cookware had the Progressive lable, so it was all thin pots and flimsy utensils that wouldn't last.

Although I do enjoy my cobalt blue fiestaware butter dish that I got there...

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

• 2 months later...

Kitchen Basics is NOT out of business. It is newly remodeled and much nicer looking (less cluttered, more room to walk around, and generally more attractive). They continue to sell a large selection of Fiestaware, and various cooking utensils. I observed all this after enjoying a delicious brunch at Cafe Campagne this morning with Matthew.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

They must have sold it. I spoke with the manager? back in December & she was definately closing up, doing the going out of business sale, a little nostalgic etc.

I will have to go check it out - darn, I HAVE to go to a kitchen store, poor me :biggrin:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

They must have sold it.  I spoke with the manager? back in December & she was definately closing up, doing the going out of business sale, a little nostalgic etc. 

I will have to go check it out - darn, I HAVE to go to a kitchen store, poor me  :biggrin:

Yes they sold it. I was in there a few weeks ago when some guy came in and said to the cashier, "You're back!". She replied that so-and-so bought the place and that she was glad to be back.

IMESHO, :laugh: they might do better if they were to get rid of those cheap looking plates in the window.

Drink!