• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This week's news

KatieLoeb

A couple of interesting tidbits from today's Table Talk column by Michael Klein:

John Roast Pork will start Saturday hours this weekend!! :crowd roars:

Tra Vigne veterans Joseph and Karey Scarpone will open their own restaurant in the old Pigalle space in Northern Liberties some time in January.

Our own Rich Pawlak is hiding behind a strategically placed slice of pizza held in his outstreched arm in his Philly Style magazine masthead mugshot. Those of us that have met Rich have seen many more images of him with a slice if pizza in his hand... :biggrin:

More news HERE

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

More news HERE

Tony Luke's pasta place sure didn't last long, did it?

I was thinkin' the same thing... :unsure:

On the other hand, having a sports bar serving Tony Luke's sandwiches and that has a bar that's open every day, including Sunday when the regular stand is closed, is an extremely good thing.

I expect the place to be packed for the Iggles games.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

On the other hand, having a sports bar serving Tony Luke's sandwiches and that has a bar that's open every day, including Sunday when the regular stand is closed, is an extremely good thing.

True, true. But it raises the question: will the sandwiches taste as good when made across the street? Contrariwise, if the sandwiches are supplemented by beer, will it matter?

Clearly, research is required.

Re: John's Roast Pork. I'm gonna come right out and say it: good, but overrated. Still, it's definitely positive that they'll be open on Saturdays. I'll bet that they pick up some business from folks driving down to Ikea...

It's not Table Talk news, but did anyone hear Alan Richman on Radio Times on WHYY on wednesday 12/1?

He's hawking a book, of course, "Fork It Over" but also had some good stories about growing up in Philly, and eating here then and now.

(He's currently on a quest for the best hamburger in the country, and really liked the Rouge cheeseburger. I'm sure a perfectly matched glass of wine helped....)

It's archived on the WHYY site, I can't find a direct URL, but search their archive for December 1 and you'll find it.

Radio Times

There's also an interesting article in the Penn Gazette about a circle of Penn friends ending up all being food writers.

Geeze, the place is just lousy with Penn food fiends. Must have been that fine Dining Service food.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

It's not Table Talk news, but did anyone hear Alan Richman on Radio Times on WHYY on wednesday 12/1?

He's hawking a book, of course, "Fork It Over" but also had some good stories about growing up in Philly, and eating here then and now.

(He's currently on a quest for the best hamburger in the country, and really liked the Rouge cheeseburger. I'm sure a perfectly matched glass of wine helped....)

It's archived on the WHYY site, I can't find a direct URL, but search their archive for December 1 and you'll find it.

Radio Times

There's also an interesting article in the Penn Gazette about a circle of Penn friends ending up all being food writers.

Geeze, the place is just lousy with Penn food fiends. Must have been that fine Dining Service food.

Count me in as one of those Penn folk that turned to food writing.  Guess they missed me.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Well allrighty then! I'll send compliments to Chef Mike on the burger. I'll humbly take credit for the wine... :smile:

Where did you see his comments on our burgers and/or the wine? I can't seem to find a reference to it via Google. Thanks.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Our own Rich Pawlak is hiding behind a strategically placed slice of pizza held in his outstreched arm in his Philly Style magazine masthead mugshot.

And I thought that slice pix was to protect his trivia persona. Somebody told me that Rich was the Ken Jennings of Quizzo.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I only worked there. (Though, in keeping with my philosophy, I did sample Dining Services food on several occasions. Having a friend who was their marketing manager didn't hurt either.)

Generally speaking, I thought the in-house dining operation at Penn was not bad for institutional fare. Bon Appetit added a touch of flair to its presentation and a little more variety to the menu. I have no idea whether Aramark has built on this or torn it down, but I do know that the food court has made further inroads on campus under them.

Though speaking of food court: Penn's food court at 3401 Walnut is shutting down. On a trip there yesterday, the only outlet still in business was Famous Famiglia Pizza. Two people at Bitar's, which looked as if it had just shut down the day before, inform me that a CVS drugstore is taking its place--relocating from its current site in the 3900 block of Walnut.

This will mean:

a) Longer lines at the trucks and carts,

b) more harried clerks at Wawa,

c) you won't be able to get a seat at lunchtime at the New Deck,

d) maybe Penn is planning to put a food court where the CVS is now? This seems least likely, along with:

e) Penne will finally fill to capacity at lunch.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Well allrighty then! I'll send compliments to Chef Mike on the burger. I'll humbly take credit for the wine... :smile:

Where did you see his comments on our burgers and/or the wine? I can't seem to find a reference to it via Google. Thanks.

On Radio TImes, he mentioned that his favorite thing was to go on searches for the "best" of something, and that he was currently looking for the best burger in America. A caller suggested Monks, but Richman said he liked the cheesburger at Rouge, and that it's tough to do that well... and OK, I made up the part about the wine, but I'm sure it's true!

I don't think thiss is in print anywhere, but you can listen to the show in Real Audio at the link I posted above.

philadining.com

I only worked there. (Though, in keeping with my philosophy, I did sample Dining Services food on several occasions.

I worked Dining Service for 4 years, so that was a gentle insider's snipe... And yes, Rich, you were snubbed in the Gazette, but I thnk they were focusing on a particular circle of friends who ended up with an unusually high concentration of unexpected culinary careers.

Ahh the web is a beautiful thing:

Taste Quakers

philadining.com

Tra Vigne veterans Joseph and Karey Scarpone will open their own restaurant in the old Pigalle space in Northern Liberties some time in January.

i had an amazingly good meal at tra vigne about 6 or 7 years ago. it gave me a soft spot for michael chiarello--his tv shows are kinda precious for my taste, but i watch them anyway still.

and OK, I made up the part about the wine, but I'm sure it's true!

I'll still take it as a compliment. :blush:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I suspect a savvy restaurateur could peruse the pizza club thread for a pic of Rich

I am so glad i consistently stayed in the background, or, luckily, TOOK the pics.

Can't be blowing my cover, Hol. Cmon, let me enjoy the gig for a little while!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I suspect a savvy restaurateur could peruse the pizza club thread for a pic of Rich

If Rich performed as he did at Franzone's, I think that restaurateur will come up empty-handed.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

On Radio TImes, he mentioned that his favorite thing was to go on searches for the "best" of something, and that he was currently looking for the best burger in America.  A caller suggested Monks, but Richman said he liked the cheesburger at Rouge, and that it's tough to do that well... and  OK, I made up the part about the wine, but I'm sure it's true!

I don't think this is in print anywhere, but you can listen to the show in Real Audio at the link I posted above.

I listened to the broadcast link, intently listening for the part about the Rouge cheeseburgers. Imagine my delight when I realized that "Melissa from South Philly", the caller that suggested Monk's and got the unsolicited plug for Rouge was none other than Melissa, former sommeliere and my former partner in crime at Striped Bass! I recognized her voice immediately and when she said she now works at Tangerine, I knew it was her! What a bizarre coincidence! And she'd have been just the person to show Mr. Richman that there is indeed good wine in Philadelphia (he expressed some doubts about that), and a lot of it is being chosen by women. There are quite a few of us "wine chicks" here in town and I think he'd be impressed with our "collective palate", given the opportunity to explore the local wine culture a bit more. Perhaps I'll e-mail him and suggest that. :wink:

I think I owe Melissa a Rouge Burger... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!