• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ubiquity of the Miniburger in DC DelMarVa

mnebergall

Here's what I recommend:

A couple Baby Burgers medium rare,

Ah ha, further evidence of the ubiquity of the miniburger.

AAAAHHHHH!!!! :angry:

Down with Mini-Burgers

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Here's what I recommend:

Down with Mini-Burgers

Not my department, but I hear this town is full of tiny wieners, too.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Here's what I recommend:

Down with Mini-Burgers

If you call them sliders, do you get off on a technicality?

If he is thin, I will probably dine poorly. If he is both thin and sad, the only hope is in flight.”

Fernand Point

Cirrcle Bistro, Potato Peeler

Maybe I'm one step behind but I still like the things. And I may not be going to the right places but they don't seem to be on menus everyplace I go.

And to think I once aspired to be a hipster foodie.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

]

If you call them sliders, do you get off on a technicality?

Of course, but only if they are bought at White Castle!

The original always gets a pass.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

OK then. Let's count how many places are shrinking the burgers, honey. Off the top of my head, I make it: Matchbox, Jackies, Poste (sort of), Tallulah and that crappy golf-themed place in Bethesda that my numbnuts Jayhawk friend likes so much. Does that qualify as an infestation?

By the way, AOL CityGuide (yeah, I know, noooooobs) is running their annual Best of DC poll right now, and if you don't go vote for Colorado Kitchen for best burger then the drunk college kids are gonna end up sending innocent tourists to Lindy's and The Tombs again. Do you want that on your conscience?

While certainly not in the same league as a Matchbox, I noticed at happy hour last night that Hamburger Hamlet also has these.

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson

If they are so hip, does this mean that we might see a resurrection of Little Tavern?

Only if it is renamed "Petite Tavern" has reallly astronomical prices, a six burger tasting menu and wine pairings. Oh and really overrated service

If he is thin, I will probably dine poorly. If he is both thin and sad, the only hope is in flight.”

Fernand Point

Cirrcle Bistro, Potato Peeler

Colorado Kitchen for best burger then the drunk college kids are gonna end up sending innocent tourists to Lindy's and The Tombs again. Do you want that on your conscience?

HEY! I wasn't drunk! No, wait....

Alright, I'm sorry, ok? The #3, she is a burger of dark powers.

Even though I recall no mention of CK's burgers here, I'll give them the benifit of the doubt. Having voted, how is Five Guys totally spanking everybody else?

While certainly not in the same league as a Matchbox, I noticed at happy hour last night that Hamburger Hamlet also has these.

Thousand Island dressing and pickles. Deeeelish! Don't look at me like that! It's not bad!

Alright, so I have no taste today.

-- C.S.

Not clicking on 'Ms. Pregnant Bikini' Contest on voting page. Not clicking on 'Ms. Pregant Bikini' Contest on voting page.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Yeah, there are a lot more flat, grilled small treats on offer these days than round, deep fried ones. I wonder why that is? Probably something to do with the law of suppli and demand.

(Man, when you're on, you're on! Woohoo!)

Cheesecake Factory now has sliders. I was forced to go for a friend's birthday last month, as it's her favorite restaurant.

STAY AWAY!

I would have been happier with 3 small McD's hamburgers on a plate. Which is quite similar to what I got, though CF's weren't as tasty.

I've learned to stick with the taquitos...

Cheesecake Factory now has sliders.  I was forced to go for a friend's birthday last month, as it's her favorite restaurant. 

STAY AWAY! 

I would have been happier with 3 small McD's hamburgers on a plate.  Which is quite similar to what I got, though CF's weren't as tasty.

I've learned to stick with the taquitos...

If they've hit Cheesecake Factory then they are most definitely a fad that has jumped the shark.

Joe W

I'd even be down with mini burger fondue with the right kind of cheese.  Mini burgers on sticks.

a.k.a. kabobs or souvlaki :biggrin:

They only count as mini-burgers if they come with buns and no sticks.

I do ground meat souvlaki, I do fondue, I never thought of combining the two.

Brilliant!

Joe W

Cheesecake Factory now has sliders.  I was forced to go for a friend's birthday last month, as it's her favorite restaurant. 

If they've hit Cheesecake Factory then they are most definitely a fad that has jumped the shark.

Actually, CF may have been at the front of this trend. :unsure: I can recall ordering those for Emma at CF at least 3 years ago. I won't go into why we were there in the first place. :huh:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I concede the point. They ARE everywhere. Can some sort of Pied Piper of Hamlynburger not be found to lure them all into the Potomac to float off somewhere really backward where they'll be hailed as the vanguard of a rising, new, miniaturist cuisine? Perhaps Delaware?

(Edited to add: I deeply respect the proud State of Delaware and happily pour my toll money into its coffers each time I wish to traverse its majestic gray freeways en route to the earthly paradise of Northern New Jersey. OK, not happily. But still.)

Edited by iamthestretch (log)