• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Royal Mile Pub

painemilla

I was at the Royal Mile Pub in Wheaton last night for dinner as we were without electicity and realized that I had never seen any traffic on forum about this little local gem with the exception of a mention under other topics.

We tend to frequent the Royal Mile during the week and on occasion over the weekend where there is often entertainment. My better half and I have been very please with the atmosphere and the food. It's a very neighborhood feel and only has about some 20 odd tables and a small bar.

There is the usual and somewhat unusal pub fare. The fish and chips are very good and the Maryland fried chicken is great comfort food, although I had never heard of "Maryland" fried chicken before our visits to the pub.

My better half tends to go with the evening specials which are several notches up from and more sophsicated than the pub fare. In general they have tended to be excellent. We have only missed on a few occasions and on those occasions waiters have taken dislikes to the chef. The chef is often on the floor stopping by tables and inquiring with customers as to the food, likes and dislikes and suggestions. He has been working on adding new items to the menu and has become very creative without loosing the pub feel.

I also must mention that although I have tried several desserts at the Royal Mile, my favorite still tends to be the Trifle!!

They also provide a calendar of events that not only includes entertainment but also malt and wine tastings plus themed dinner specials duirng the month.

I'm not sure if others feel the same way but I felt the Royal Mile needed a bit of space on the forum.

I also suggested to the chef that he become engage on the forum.

I'm with you on the Royal Mile. A colleague and friend of mine lives close by and we often end up sinking a few there when we visit her. I confess to never having eaten their food, as we usually gravitate to Hollywood East across the road or Dusit around the corner, but from what I've seen going by it looks like a solid pub repertoire. Nice crowd, too. Off topic, but speaking of local favorites, did the Anchor Inn actually close? I thought that would be there forever.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Off topic, but speaking of local favorites, did the Anchor Inn actually close?

As for the Anchor Inn, as far as I know it is closed. I have been out of town for a couple of weeks but from what I recall it's been closed for several months but in general I have never put much attention to it.

Is it within walking distance to the Wheaton Metro?

Yes, a five minute walk from the Metro! Up the street and around the corner.

Looks nice. Is it within walking distance to the Wheaton Metro?

Yes, it's an easy walk from the Wheaton station.

I tend to go there on weekends and usually sample one of the specials, which are way above par for what you would expect from a neighborhood pub -- Ian's culinary training shines through. And prices are reasonable.

www.royalmilepub.com

The calendar (December is not up yet) lists some, but not all, of the specials. Disappointed I missed the lamb shanks earlier in November -- they are one of my favorites.

I've been to the Royal Mile a few times, and like having this spot in the neighborhood. Good solid cooking, a generous selection of beers, basic solid service (more than many other places can say!) as well as an attentive chef who visits with customers. I have never seen the place packed, but never empty either, and there is always just enough space at the bar :cool: . On warm nights you can sit outside at a handful ot patio tables.

I've been to the Royal Mile Pub only once. It was for lunch and I thought the Scottish "specialties" I had were only okay. Perhaps the chef comes in only in the evening.

The list of Scotches is impressive and priced reasonably. Not sure whether they are always available.

I'm so glad someone started this thread! While the RMP is not your "fine dining" establishment, it is a very warm, comfortable environment, and a great place to go and get a quick bite (as long as it doesn't get too packed!) The best fish and chips I've had in this neck of the woods, and the scotch broth and shepherd's pie are great on a cold winter's night like this!

We've been going there for many years--It's the place we always gather when the old gang gets together around the holidays, when friends come back to town to visit family. Every time my sister comes into town, it's the standard meeting place, as it used to be when she lived here. Ian's mother, who used to hostess, was my nephew's teacher.

I've not heard much talk about it on this board, and didn't realize there were so many other egulleters who've frequented there as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Just went to the Royal Mile for the 1st time, what a pleasant place to be on a wintry December evening! The place was full so we had a chance to sit at the bar for a few minutes. Very friendly bartender; beer selection is okay, scotch selection is great!

We were seated in front of the fireplace and proceeded to stuff ourselves with comfort food -- I had the Beef & Guinness Pie (tender beef & potato chunks, really thick flavorful broth topped with a big square of puffy pastry) and shared the very nice, and very HUGE, pear/apple/goat cheese salad with Mr. EllenH. He had one of the specials, an individual oven dish (what are those called?) of pork & apple stew. Veggie side was really fresh steamed asparagus.

Couldn't resist dessert, Chocolate Truffle Layer Cake...didn't taste quite as stellar as the name, was a bit dry. But the Craganmore I had along with it made up for that!

The atmosphere was just what you'd want from a place called the Royal Mile Pub :biggrin: Tartan scarves hung on the wall, crackling fireplace, friendly service, and warm yummy food. We'll be back.

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

Couldn't resist dessert, Chocolate Truffle Layer Cake...didn't taste quite as stellar as the name, was a bit dry.

Glad to hear you check it out. This weekend was especially nice for it. I tend to stay away from the cakes they tend to be dry but next time you need to try the TRIFLE for dessert!!!

Actually, I may have to go this evening for a nice hearty stew!

• 2 weeks later...