• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adam Sandler and Food

Puck Confit

In Adam Sandler's new movie Spanglish, he plays a professional chef. He was on Leno tonight promoting the film and he mentioned that he trained with Thomas Keller at Per Se in New York. He also made mention of the fact that he ate at both the French Laundry and Per Se and went on to praise Thomas Keller and the incredible food he puts out.

Now, those of you that know Adam Sandler know how rare it is to see him speak seriously about ANYTHING, let alone food. But he was genuinely grateful and appreciative of Chef Keller and everything he taught him. Keller is God.

Dang, Puck - you beat me to it.

I was watching the interview (i love Sandler) - and Leno asked him "so, you trained with a professional chef?" and Sandler goes: "Yeah, and everybody who knows anything about food that i say this to says this guy is the best at what he does; his name's Thomas Keller....." and i about fell out of my chair.

Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall during all that (not that there would have been any flies on Keller's kitchen walls...)

(edited to change the spelling of "flys" to "flies")...

Edited by zilla369 (log)

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Apparently the kitchen constructed for the movies is completely taken off from French Laundry - Keller said when he walked onto the set, it was like walking back into his kitchen. Which makes me rather annoyed, since I swore a number of years ago never to watch another Sandler movie? Gah. Dilemma Dilemma.

Sandler's hard enough to watch but on Leno? Feh.

But it's to his credit that he recognizes Keller's stature.

6 foot 1 or 2?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I tried to hate sandler but the lunch lady song always made me giggle...

Ah, the infamous Lunch Lady Land.

Sandler really DOES seem obsessed with simple childhood food experiences.

Oh, here's a different one. The I Ran Over The Taco Bell Dog song.

By the way, this Sandler bio says that his older sister, Valerie Sandler, "works in food industry". Does anyone know what she does?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

More unbelievable than Sandler playing a chef of Keller's status is that his character doesn't know a lick of Spanish. None at all (although this drives some of the funniest moments in the film). I like James L. Brooks a lot, but it's obvious he's never spent time in a restaurant kitchen.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

More unbelievable than Sandler playing a chef of Keller's status is that his character doesn't know a lick of Spanish. None at all (although this drives some of the funniest moments in the film). I like James L. Brooks a lot, but it's obvious he's never spent time in a restaurant kitchen.

Our friend, Mr. Bourdain, is probably shaking his fist at this film already because of this.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Chef Keller's presence is now at the top of the food chain

The French Laundry was chosen the number one restaurant in the world's top 50

by Epicurus.com new digital magazine.

Have any you guys seen this list...wow :biggrin:

Chef Keller's presence is now at the top of the food chain

Define "now," and maybe "top." Certainly Ferran Adrià is at the international peak, although it's fair enough to allow a top that includes more than one person. A ranking with the French Laundry at the top of a list of American restaurants would hardly be news. It's little more than an affirmation of what many people have been saying for years, while at the same time, it's hardly definitive. I've yet to see a top restaurant list in a magazine that had much validity beyond marketing.

At the same time, any thread with "Adam Sandler" in the title is probably a poor choice in which to start any more than half serious discussion about Keller, the French Laundry or restaurants in general.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got to agree with bpearis on that one. I just saw Spanglish and was also amazed by the fact his character spoke no Spanish. According to Bourdain, it's SOP for a chef to have a little spanish in his repertoire.

Without giving anything away, I thought it was terrific and the food parts very believable and enticing- aside from Sandler's lack of Spanish. Very charming movie.

I saw the movie last night and enjoyed it. It will not change the world, but when he cut into that sandwich, it definitely made me immediately hungry.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Sadly I know many chefs who do not know or even attempt to speak Spanish, too bad for them...communicating with the cooks in their language is one of the joys of the job not to mention professionally advantageous.

• 10 months later...

Watched Spanglish again last night. Saw Keller was named "Culinary Consultant" in the credits. But a friend of mine from Northern California who watched it with me said that Spanglish was a semi-factual story based on an actual chef, possibly Keller.

Was she pulling my leg?

She does work in the media.

Its hard to believe, but then again its hard to believe that Keller was involved with a Adam Sandler movie.