• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining Out on New Years Eve

I just came across this today while using Open Table (which I love BTW!). they have put together a list of restuarants who use their site and are offering special menus, times, etc for new years eve:

Restaurant List

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

I just came across this today while using Open Table (which I love BTW!). they have put together a list of restuarants who use their site and are offering special menus, times, etc for new years eve:

Restaurant List

Oddly enough, that link takes you to a search for reservations at Emeril's in New Orleans. I originally got the same url for the NYE page, so don't know what's going on.

I think this link will work better.

I got an email yesterday with Brasserie Margaux's NYE menu. Looks pretty good.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 2 weeks later...

*bump*

If anyone else has received emails or notices of special NYE dinners, I'd love to hear about them. I'm looking for one but am not on anyone's mailing list, and I'm surprised at how few local restaurants have web sites.

New Year's Eve Bash!

coming December 31, 2004

with paired wines coming soon

Kumomoto Oysters on the Half Shell with Cucumber-Vodka Ice

or

Oysters Rockefeller with a Champagne Beurre Blanc

Chilled Dungeness Crab Salad with Avocado, Osetra Caviar, and a

Curried Aioli

Terrine of Foie Gras with Black Pepper Caramel and Quince Confit

Intermezzo: Meyer Lemon and Creme Fraiche Gelato

Wild Mushroom Buckwheat Crepes with Pinot Noir Reduction

Braised Ninety Farms Beef Shortribs with Collards, Hominy, and

Shittakes and a Foie Gras Foam

Salade aux Noix

Fruits of the Vine 3 Ways: Local Raisin Studded Bread Pudding with

Frozen Concords and Grappa Sauce

New Year's Eve Bash: Beginning around 9 PM on December 31, at an undisclosed location. We will have live bossa nova music from Javier Anderson, party favors, and of course, a toast at midnight. We will also be providing an optional cab to take you home so you can have as much fun as you want! Check out the tentative menu at left and be ready for a few surprises!

Maximilien's New Year's Eve shindig. Not sure about the music, but the menu sounds tasty.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

When we were at lunch at Union yesterday our waiter mentioned they would be having two or three seatings on NYE with the latest one at 10:30. I checked their web site, but no menu posted.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

• 1 year later...

Bumping up to see if anyone is going anywhere interesting...

We're going to Nells, because I love it and its close enough that if desperate we can walk.

I'm not sure about the party hats though. Unfortunately, with a 9:30 ressie, we may not be out of there soon enough.

At least we'll be up for NYE!

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

Bumping up to see if anyone is going anywhere interesting...

We're going to Nells, because I love it and its close enough that if desperate we can walk.

I'm  not sure about the party hats though. Unfortunately, with a 9:30 ressie, we may not be out of there soon enough.

At least we'll be up for NYE!

lalala

:cool: We're going to Bistro Magnolia and can't wait. The menu looks really good! http://www.bistromagnolia.com/bistromenus.htm

Hope everyone has a Happy and Safe New Year!

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

Bistro Magnolia --

That would be a seven minute walk home. I'm thinking now.........................

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

Maximilien's New Year's Eve shindig.  Not sure about the music, but the menu sounds tasty.

We are going to Maximillien. They have had Rouge perform for other special dinners - although not exactly my favorite type of music, they are good.

We thought the Maximillien NYE dinner was one of the very best special dinners they have served. The actual menu was quite different from that shown online but much better, IMO. Main courses were venison and quail stuffed with foie gras mousse. Both excellent. The wine pairings were so-so.

The entertainment was also quite enjoyable.

Maximilien's New Year's Eve shindig.  Not sure about the music, but the menu sounds tasty.

We are going to Maximillien. They have had Rouge perform for other special dinners - although not exactly my favorite type of music, they are good.

We thought the Maximillien NYE dinner was one of the very best special dinners they have served. The actual menu was quite different from that shown online but much better, IMO. Main courses were venison and quail stuffed with foie gras mousse. Both excellent. The wine pairings were so-so.

The entertainment was also quite enjoyable.

Probably different because my original post was in regard to last year's NYE dinner. Here's this year's version: NYE '05 menu

Sounds delicious, glad you enjoyed it.

Ah, that explains it. We had the foie gras terrine, fish soup and salmon tartar, along with the venison and quail. Outstanding.

Maximilien remains one of our favorite spots, especially for out of town guests.

(and with the new law in WA, no smoke drifting down from the bar/upstairs!)

:cool: We're going to Bistro Magnolia and can't wait.  The menu looks really good! http://www.bistromagnolia.com/bistromenus.htm

Cheers,

How did you like Bistro Magnolia, Carolyn? We went to the early sitting (5:30) and practically had the place to ourselves. Highlights for us were the lobster bisque, the scallops (exquisite!), the venison, and the chocolate souffle with pistachio ice cream. We had a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio with dinner which was leisurely paced. Complimentary Champagne came at the end of the meal. Not the best dinner I've ever had but worthwhile and enjoyable.

Edited by bbqer (log)

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

:cool: We're going to Bistro Magnolia and can't wait.  The menu looks really good! http://www.bistromagnolia.com/bistromenus.htm

Cheers,

How did you like Bistro Magnolia, Carolyn? We went to the early sitting (5:30) and practically had the place to ourselves. Highlights for us were the lobster bisque, the scallops (exquisite!), the venison, and the chocolate souffle with pistachio ice cream. We had a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio with dinner which was leisurely paced. Complimentary Champagne came at the end of the meal. Not the best dinner I've ever had but worthwhile and enjoyable.

:biggrin: We really enjoyed it. I had the foie gras appetizer and hubby had the lobster bisque. The couple next to us highly recommeded the Kumamoto oyster appetizer, and hubby said he should have gotten that instead, as he wasn't thrilled with the lobster bisque. For the second course I had the scallops (really excellent!) and DH had the duck confit salad. I had the baby pheasant with the truffled mashed potatoes and hubby had the incredible chilean sea bass for our mains. I really enjoyed the chocolate souffle with the pistachio ice cream. I asked, and apparently Tomias gets it from a vendor he had at the restaurant he worked at in New York. Hubby had the cheese plate, but was too full to really enjoy it. We shared a really nice bottle of Syrah. The complimentary german sparkling wine was pretty good too!

The waitress mentioned that the 8:30 seating was definitely the busiest, as they only had a res for a 6-top for the 10:00 seating. But as 10:00 came and went, no one else showed up and Tomias brought out hats, noisemakers and silly string for all of us. It was a nice evening! :raz:

Edited by GourmetLight$ (log)

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

I stopped by the kitchen of Mistral on NYE. They showed me some of the ingredients they were using for the $200 a head dinner. Lobster, real Iranian Osetra Caviar (I didn't know Beluga was illegal until William told me), and a huge chunk of real white truffle from Piemonte (the smell was absolutely incredible!)

Did any of you get the privelidge of enjoying this tasting menu?

Schielke?

I'd love to read a report.