• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jean Talon Market extention now open

fireweed

Large ricotta-stuffed ravioli from the extension's new pasta shop were merely OK, the pasta a bit heavy and the filling rubbery and too nutmeggy. It'll do in a pinch but Milano has them beat on the ravioli front at least.

And let me join the chorus of praise for Harve des glaces. All the flavours I tasted were excellent and the pistachio ice cream was the best I've eaten in years. You may pay through the nose ($6/500 ml) but you get your money's worth.

And let me join the chorus of praise for Harve des glaces. All the flavours I tasted were excellent and the pistachio ice cream was the best I've eaten in years. You may pay through the nose ($6/500 ml) but you get your money's worth.

If you love ice cream, run do not walk to Havre des glaces. Very difficult to decide which flavour to purchase so ask for a taste, the staff are only too happy to oblige. Still conflicted as to which I liked most - close your eyes & you'd swear you were eating a combo of puréed passion fruit & mango, but with the richness of gelatto. Want chocolate, have fun deciding between dark choc, milk choc or white choc - or just say what the hey - give me a triple dose of that stuff. I foresee long lines come spring/summer. As for price, I'd way rather pay $6.00 for 500 ml vs. the shite you get from your local grocery store for $5.99 for 2 liters or even the 500 ml premium brands like B&J or Hagen Daz that sell for comparable prices.

If you love ice cream, run do not walk to Havre des glaces. Very difficult to decide which flavour to purchase so ask for a taste, the staff are only too happy to oblige. Still conflicted as to which I liked most - close your eyes & you'd swear you were eating a combo of puréed passion fruit & mango, but with the richness of gelatto. Want chocolate, have fun deciding between dark choc, milk choc or white choc - or just say what the hey - give me a triple dose of that stuff. I foresee long lines come spring/summer. As for price, I'd way rather pay $6.00 for 500 ml vs. the shite you get from your local grocery store for $5.99 for 2 liters or even the 500 ml premium brands like B&J or Hagen Daz that sell for comparable prices.

Yes, I went there on Sunday, at -1, there was already a line, and the floorplan doesn't help, can't even think what it's going to be in July.

I actualy was going to say that they are not that expensive... for that artisan quality product, the best I have seen in a while.

Yeah, that Pistachio is incredible. With the amount of nuts in it I don't see how they can make any money even at $6 per 1/2 liter.

And as mentioned before - don't forget the Pomme de Glace Sorbet with Ice Cider from Clos St Denis.

Haven't tried the fruit sorbets yet - waiting for Spring and Summer :raz:

They'll open the "garage doors" so it will be open to the market outside - and hopefully they'll put in a second counter or we'll be in trouble.

BTW...these folks are really nice too....

On Saturday, Havre aux Glaces was trumpeting its masala (as in garam) sherbet. And who can blame them? It's not very sweet and has a soft, light texture that dissolves as soon as it hits the palate, filling the mouth with a rich and complex mélange of sweet spices. While you're tempted to shovel in another spoonful, they suggest waiting a few seconds, the better to savour the long finish and not to miss the intriguing mild black-pepper burn. Amazing. I had gone in planning to buy one of the citrus sherbets but Philippe de Vienne, he of the olive and spice store, was at the counter exclaiming over the masala sherbet after experincing his first spoonful, so I had to give it a try. Will serve it tonight atop a compote of brandy-spiked prunes stewed in Earl Gray tea and garnished with slivers of candied ginger.

Also, the organic butcher, Boucherie St-Vincent, is finally open for business.

Edited by carswell (log)