• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using fresh water chestnuts

sabg

I try to use a potato peeler after I cut the top and bottom off.

Love these fresh and raw, but my s-i-l is great at making the steamed Chinese cake with the waterchestnut starch and diced fresh ones. The cake is gooey chewy with sweet crunchy bits.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 11 months later...

i have what seems to be a large quantity of fresh water chestnuts...anyone have an idea about a water chestnut recipe aside from adding to the typical stir fry or soup...are they ever eaten alone or maybe with a chili sauce ?? any help would be great and i have no idea how long they keep.

You can peel them and enjoy them raw - into a dip, or dipped into a chili powder-sugar-lime mix. Or slice them thinly and add them to any salad where you want a crunch - like a coleslaw. Or cube it finely and mix it into chicken or tuna salad.

I would say you were on point with the stir fry or soup. I really like them in a lot of different types of stir fry/ asian food. you could certainly whip a crunchy salad up with them, some bamboo shoots, green onions, cabbage and some rice wine vinegar etc. I really like them in noodle dishes as they offset the chewy noodles with a nice refreshing crunch. You'd be surprised how quickly you could blow through them if you use them in such manners.