• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: A Proper Bread Knife

FoodZealot

Another advantage (for knuckle clearance) of the longer blade is that you do not have to have your hand over the cutting board because the blade is long enough to do the job and keep your hand clear of the board.

This particular knife has a modified grip that keeps the fingers from sliding forward toward the blade if you hit something that the blade hangs up on - as happens when slicing a ham or roast - not so much in bread.

I also use it for slicing cakes into thinner layers, it works better than the specialty items made for this.

My trick for this and for slicing round boules into horizontal layers, is using a wooden hoop (made for embroidery work) put the cake layer or the boule in the center and the 12 inch blade is long enough so the end and the base of the blade can rest on the hoop as I work through the loaf.

I then remove the bottom slice and set the cut face onto the cutting board and cut the next slice, working up from the bottom, instead of down from the top in the usual way, which always results in uneven slices.

I have tried several of the offset knives, including the one with the "pistol" type grip reminiscent of a wood plane, and I have not been thrilled with any of them. Probably it is because I got used to using a straight knife many years ago and habit is very strong.

I can't imagine using a curved knife for slicing bread. Seems odd to me.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a wooden Bow knife that a purchased at a Craft fair that looks like one of These

It slices bread perfectly and also makes paper thin slices of tomato. Cost me about $20, and has a lifetime guarantee on the blade. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I have a wooden Bow knife that a purchased at a Craft fair that looks like one of These

It slices bread perfectly and also makes paper thin slices of tomato.  Cost me about $20, and has a lifetime guarantee on the blade.  :cool:

I have a couple, one still in the box, never used. Not sure what happened to the other. It used to hang on the wall above my baking center but isn't there now.

I just looked at the box and it say the Original, Mountain Woods Fiddle Bow Knife.

The handle on these seemed awkward for me to hold, so I never felt comfortable with using them. It is sharp, however.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andie:

Interesting about the comfort level. I find it fairly comfortable, but then again I only use it for very short periods of time. Curiously, I'm not much of a bread eater. It does come in handy for other things though like fruits and some vegetables. It's also kind of cool looking so it looks nice displayed hung up in the kitchen.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

ive used all knives mentioned and in i have found the best the woustoff super slicer . i swear by it i think 70 bucks but wourth every penny . really . but its a tool for me so the price was not a factor i would have spent 200 bucks . out of all the knives i used it was hands down the sharpest and easyest to use for all uses http://store1.yimg.com/I/kkapers2_1818_85374721 theres a pick .

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I misspoke when I mentioned the curve - it is more of an angle of the handle, not so much of the cutting edge, as shown on this Wusthof. The Forschner has a similarly angled handle. Andie, good point about being away from the cutting board with a long knife.

I actually had the day off yesterday so I went down to Ross Cutlery. It's directly across from the Grand Central Market. Great place to browse. No giant revelations there, although they will sharpen a serrated edge. If I decide to DIM, the Spyderco sharpening kit was about $70 there. Also went to some of the restaurant supply joints on Washington, and found the DR and Forschner at the lowest prices I've seen.

HKDave recommended a scalloped edge rather than serrated edge knives. Some manufacturers makes knives with "reverse serrations" which is supposed to reduce tearout. Wusthof calls theirs a "confectioner's knife." Any other opinions about that feature?

There are four of the Wusthof Grand Prix 10 inch Super Slicers on amazon for $60.

I think that most good bread knives have scalloped, or broad serrations, rather than the tiny ones. I have seen the Super Slicer and it is a knife that could replace my bread knife and also serve for carving roasts, etc.

Most vendors sell the Dexter-Russell 12 inch scalloped slicer for more than Smart & Final. Possibly because Smart & Final puts their name on the blade they get is for less and can offer it for less.

The same knife is listed for a minimum of $5.00 more on these sites.

Discount Dexter-Russell knives.

I can remember back in the day when Dexter was THE knife in almost every restaurant kitchen, at least out here.

The restaurant supply places (such as Star in Van Nuys, that opened in the early 60s,) carried the full line of Dexter products and I bought quite a few from the place.

I still have my Dexter dough knife which is not quite as wide as it once was, because of being sharpened over the past 40 years. The new one is almost 1/4 inch wider and it still has one curved corner. The curve on the old one is long gone.

The knife I showed, will cut very crusty bread and also will cut very tender breads, such as brioche, without tearing it.

It can also be sharpened, I simply have not needed to do so.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.  I misspoke when I mentioned the curve - it is more of an angle of the handle, not so much of the cutting edge, as shown on this Wusthof.  The Forschner has a similarly angled handle.  Andie, good point about being away from the cutting board with a long knife.

The wider-bladed slicers with slightly angled handles (like the Wustof in your link above) are functionally very similar to offset slicers. If you put the two styles side by side, you'll see the handles and cutting edges are in very close to the same positions in relation to each other. But the offset ones remove that extra width, which IMHO makes slicing easier.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

A real beauty: Franz Güde Brotmesser.

12 inch, because there are German round breads of giant size.

At $115 it's not really a basement bargain price, though. The serration is rather broad. Therefore it's not that difficult to resharpen it, provided you have a round ceramic rod with a large circumference. It's a bread knife for your grandchildren. :smile:

Güde from Solingen is one of the finest small, artisanal producer of the German stainless type of kitchen knives, BTW.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Wow, that Gude looks amazing.  That seems quite a bit over the top, but maybe someday...

"Over" maybe, but for sure not over "the top": Güde Bread Knife made from Damaskus Steel

3000 Euros, or $4000. The right bread knife for Mr. Dennis Kozlowski, ex-CEO of Tyco, for example.

You see, you could save $3885 when buying the humble stainless steel version.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

• 2 months later...

Hi FoodZealot!

It's been a few months since you posted your original inquiry, so I don't know if you've purchased yourself a bread knife yet...

I own a Wusthof Classic 10" bread knife that I've been wanting to sell. Not because there is anything wrong with the knife (it's great), rather, I have developed a disability in my hands that makes certain cutting tasks (including cutting bread) difficult and painful...I just cannot do it anymore.

As luck would have it, I also live in Los Angeles. If you think you might want it and don't object to buying a "pre-owned knife" (LOL), let me know via Private Message and we can figure out a reasonable price for it.

~Cindy

cake, welcome to eG!

Thanks for the offer, but I bought the Wusthof 10" Crust Buster. I originally bought it with the idea that I could return it if I didn't like it, but I was comfortable with it from the start. It cuts thin slices of bread, and finishes the cut well (the bottom crust). I tried it head to head with a 9" forged Wusthof from a block set, and I prefered this one.

I haven't had to sharpen it yet, but it appears that it would be somewhat easier to do since it has scallops or "reverse serrations."

• 3 months later...

I'll preface this question by painting a virtual picture of me: I'm a renter not a homeowner, my kitchen would be described as "microscopic", I'm a good and knowledgeable cook but not working in the industry, and I possess only one good knife in my collection..everything else belongs to my girlfriend and is from Ikea...and is dull! :)

Soo...I received a Global 8" chef's knife as a gift several years ago, and while it's got an easy grip and performs relatively well it doesn't seem to keep a good edge regardless of how frequently it's sharpened and/or finished with a steel. I know these knives were all the rage a little while ago but having worked with a few of the old Germans I've found myself able to make better use of them.

I really need a good bread slicer. The Ikea version is now a de-facto bread smasher, so what are everyone's recommendations in this regard? I was hoping something half-decent could be had for less than $60 or $70.

Thanks.

I've been asking around about a bread knife, too. Everyone I start to ask blurts out, "LamsonSharp," before I can finish my question. It's a tiny bit outside your price range, but peeps are so enthusiastic about it that it seems worth checking out.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Your information block does not indicate where you live. If you are located where Smart & Final stores exist, you can get an excellent knife (a serrated slicer) for $14.95. It has a white composition handle that is textured and easy to grasp and has a long blade.

I have been using one for several years and it slices everything from angel food cake to hard crusty breads easily and neatly.

Similar, but with a shorter blade is this serrated bread knife from Chicago cutlery.

At that price you can afford to throw it away if it gets dull.

At Smart & Final in the Dexter/Russell range, the ones with the white handles, there is a bread knife with a long offset serrated blade, for less than $20. I've used one for years and years and it's still going. Best bread knife ever! Especially for the price.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I picked up a Lagostina Bread knive a few months ago that i absolutely love. I've compared it to my mom's Henkel and I find it much sharper and slices easier. I found at Winner's (Ross in the States) for $22, but I think you could probably pick one up for about $50. It's definitely worth trying to find.

Here's the deal with bread knives: There is no point in spending a lot of money on a bread knife because 1) an expensive forged bread knife won't necessarily outperfom a cheap stamped bread knife, and 2) once the knife does go dull, it's next to impossible to sharpen it back to original condition -- then you have a sixty dollar knife that cuts worse than a ten dollar Ginsu.

If I were you, I'd get something like this. It's an 8 inch serrated bread knife with an offset handle. It's made by F. Dick (one of the most respected manufacturers). It will cut bread as well as any knife on the market. It costs twelve bucks.

--

Thanks for the tip Kinsey, you're right about not needing something over the top, a bread knife doesn't need the versatility of a chef's knife.

I'm in Canada so I don't know about Smart&Final, but I had totally forgot about Winner's so I think I'll have a look there too. As this will be a birthday gift I may match it with a good paring knife and couple of heat-proof spatulas.