• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: A Proper Bread Knife

FoodZealot

Admin: Many threads merged in as they come up.

I'm doing some factfinding before purchasing a proper bread knife, and I'd like to get some firsthand opinions from you all. I've done some searches, but haven't found a thread specifically about serrated bread knives. I'm expecting this to be a single purpose knife, mostly for heavy, crusty breads and crisp baguettes. Currently, I'm using a 8" serrated knife, which has been okay, but I want a knife that's longer and has curve to it.

So far, the leading candidates are these two: the Wusthof 10 inch Crust Buster Serrated Knife, which is from their stamped series. I haven't handled this one, but I generally like Wusthof, and it has the shape that I think I want. This is about $50.

The other is the pick from a Cook's Illustrated comparison, the Forschner 10.25 inch Fibrox Bread Knife. I've handled this knife, and while I'm sure it would be serviceable (especially at the price), it didn't impress me enough to make me want to buy it without looking around further. This is about $28.

I'm hoping not to have to shell out $80 for a forged one, like this Wusthof Classic 10 inch Super Slicer, but I suppose I will if it comes down to it.

What do you say? Have another favorite? Thanks for your input!

I buy inexpensive ones at the restaurant supply because they are hard to sharpen. Another disposable item. Usually last 2-3 years.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I agree too. I have an el cheapo bread knife and a really nice one and they do an equally good job. However, once they dull I'll just have to throw them away, so I'd buy only el cheapos in the future. Spend the big bucks on a nice new utility knife or something instead.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Thanks for your comments. I guess there's two other factors in play here that I forgot to mention. One is that I'm not a professional yet, and I don't expect it to get so much use as to need replacement that quickly, and the other is that I'm crazy enough to spend the time sharpening the thing, especially if I end up spending $50 or more for it.

Do most people here think of their serrated knives as being somewhat disposable or at least having a limited lifespan?

I think of them as disposable. Serrated edges are really hard to sharpen and basically not worth the trouble, unless you take them to a pro, and even then they are not really ever as good as new.

Thanks to everybody's to the thinking cook's anti hero, I bought one of these things-an Oxo Good Grips Natural Bread Knife a while back. I never, ever, would have picked it up off of the shelf, but since it was cheap and Bourdain said it was an interesting knife, I gave it a go. I love the thing now. Good for cutting bread and if the need ever arises, it would probably be good for a quick amputation or cutting brush off of a fence. They are really, really sharp.

Scroll down to the bottom of the article to see the knife.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

i have this one a cutco and i love it. after nearly 2 years of heavy use, it's still very sharp. it's also very long, which i like, because i cut a lot of large loaves on the bias and this one always goes all the way through.

that site is so damn annoying though...the knife was a gift so i don't know what it cost. the site does not make it easy to find out. good knife though...

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Smart & Final sells this knife for $14.95.

gallery_17399_60_1101952190.jpg

As you can see, it has a 12 inch blade - it can be used for slicing ham, roasts, but I use it for bread because I bake some very large loaves and if I want to cut them diagonally or lengthwise, I need a long blade.

When one gets dull I toss it and get another, however they last, with fairly heavy use, on very crusty breads, at least 3 years.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The knife is made by Dexter-Russell and Smart & Final also puts their name on it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I got the Fibrox as part of my cooking-school knife kit. It works great, even on the super-crusty rustic loaves I bake at home.

We have two of those long skinny Cutco jobbies at my night job, and they work great on the super-crusty artisanal loaves we buy from a local bakery.

My mom uses some sort of skanky "super-knife" thingies that she picks up at the supermarket for under $10 (I think). They work really well, too, for a couple of years and then you junk 'em when they come loose from the handle.

How much you wanna spend, bro? That's what it comes down to.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I have used both the expensive and the inexpensive ones. For the price, I would go with an inexpensive offset one. Even if you replace it once every 5-6 years, you will still end up saving money. Unless your into it for the looks.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I have a 10" Sanelli, stamped-steel, with which I am quite happy. I don't see the point of spending significant money on a bread knife. I think the important thing is to make sure you get a long one.

I sometimes use my Global 10" Yanagi sushi/sashimi knife, for whatever reason. Come to think of it, I think it works better than a serrated bread knife as there are hardly any crumbs. I sharpen it often on Japanese sharpening stones. If you have a super sharp long knife, perhaps it could do double-duty as a bread knife.

Edited by esvoboda (log)

I have a 12" stamped Forschner that I think cost around $35. I've had it for almost 2 years and it's just now beginning to fade a bit...perfect holiday timing :biggrin:

As for the Cutco knives mentioned upthread, I imagine they're decent. We have one Cutco knife that we received as a gift and it's very good at what it does.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I've got 3 bread knives:

- a 12" 'SuperCamel' (obscure Japanese brand) that was the only bread knife I could find in Thailand 15 years ago.

- an 8" Ikea cheapie that I got for free.

- a 9.5" Forschner offset I got because it looks cool, and because everyone else at the school I'm going to has Sanellis.

The 9.5" seems to be the most useful length, and I like the offset. Plus it's the coolest, by far.

You said you wanted a more curved blade. I'm not sure that's a good idea for bread. Most bread knives are fairly flat so you get a clean cut all across the bottom crust. You're slicing back and forth, not rocking.

I agree on 'don't spend a lot of money'. Both the Ikea and the Japanese knife stayed sharp for years, and it would be cheaper to buy another Forschener than to get them sharpened.

I recommend a scalloped rather than a serrated edge. Less tearing, esp if you're using the same knife for slicing hams etc. And if you do want to ever get it sharpened, it's possible with scalloped but usually not with serrated.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

A serrated knife is good for more than just bread. It is useful for cutting things that are soft on the inside but hard on the outside. The serrations help you get through the "skin." I have probably use my Wustdorf 8" serrated knife on more pineapples then bread. I use the serrated knife to cut the top, bottom and "shave" the skin off the sides.

Once the skin is off I use a normal chef's knife to cut the pinapple flesh into the desired final format.

I would definatly reccomend getting at least a 10" serrated knife with an offset handle. The 8" is just to short for many things and I hate having my knuckle bang into the bottom of the cuttting board. Straight blade is better than curved as mentioned before because you don't want to have to rock the knife to cut all the way though the bread.

I picked up a cheap serrated knife for about eight bucks at some kitchen equipment discount store in a shopping mall. It has a full tang, a decent plastic handle and it cuts better than the imported French bread knife we lost on a picnic. At a rate of about 3 baguettes, two boules and a ficelle a week, plus miscellanious utility duty, I assume it will last forever.

Spending $50 on a bread knife is ludicrous, put the money towards another piece of kitchen equipment.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I have a Henckles forged bread knife that I have had for a bazillion years (documented), and it still cuts just fine, though it does not get professional use. I have no idea what it cost then or now, but I suspect I would get an inexpensive offset one if buying one today.

That said, no sense in throwing away even a $15 knife if you don't have to. You can sharpen serrated knives very well with a Spyderco sharpening system. It is an easy method, and I use it for everything, including vegetable peelers and fingernail clippers. I would not get the Spyderco just to sharpen a serrated knife, but if you want to use it for sharpening just about anything that needs sharpening, it is a candidate.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Keep it coming!

HKDave, the curve was suggested by Cook's Illustrated, and is more for knuckle clearance than anything else.

I find myself using the height of the blade as a guide to make a straight cut, so those offsets where the blade ends up being 1/2" or 3/4" tall don't appeal to me quite as much. I very well may end up with a DR or a Forschner, but they seem so light that there would be a lot of bearing down with the wrist and forearm. Seems like cutting thin toasts out of 5 or 10 baguettes would get tiring.

Jackal, that breadbox is sweet. Coincidentally, I'm actually shopping around for a deli slicer, too.

chromedome, normally, my strategy would be to get the cheapest thing that does the job reasonably well. But I also wanted to see if there was something above the el cheapos that would justify the extra few dollars. I found out about Ross Cutlery, and I'll be stopping there to consider some options. The gentleman on the phone also mentioned the Spyderco sharpening kit by name, so I'll check that out as well. I agree with Richard that throwing away a dull knife that could be sharpened doesn't make much sense. Again, thanks, all.