• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: A Proper Bread Knife

FoodZealot

I have a Fiskars Bread knife was mid range in price when I bought it 13 years ago, I get it sharpened, cost me less then 2 dollar to get it sharp again.   

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I own what I think is the best bread knife (actually I own two types).

The Wustof 10-inch Classic Bread Knife, which is fabulous and also the Cusinart electric knife.

The electric knife (with its bread blades) makes short work of slicing whole loaves.  For just a slice here and there I pull out the Wustof.  Both do a great job.

That's the same combination of bread knives we have. I really like using the Wustof better in most cases but you certainly can't be an electric knife for fresh soft crusted homemade bread!

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I had a 11 inch,Henckel, yellow handle bread knife (two man) - probably their commercial line, which I was very pleased with. I then purchased a 8 inch Mercer (no-name) for about 35 dollars with an off-set handle - I love it! The Henckel which probably cost 4 times as much sits forlornly in the knife block.

Definitely go off-set!!!

p

That Tojiro looks excellent. It looks identical to the Mac, which I have. The Mac's the nicest I've used. I got it for around what the Tojiro costs now, but the price has gone up 50%.

My girlfriend has the Forschner, which is also quite good. It has pointy serrations, so it's messier. And it isn't curved, so it's not as easy to use. But I use the thing a lot and it's good enough that I don't notice it.

Notes from the underbelly