• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lilykate in Yaletown

bgood

I was walking down Hamilton St the other day and noticed a new storefront next to Coast restaurant. The sign says "Lilykate Fine Foods- Coming Soon".

A quick search on the internet didn't yield any info.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I'm hoping it's a real gourmet store along the lines of what Meinhardt should be.

It ain't the meat it's the emotion

As far as I know , it will be along the same lines as the other High End food stores with a nice take away section. I have not wandered down that end of the street lately but my friend is the General Contractor on that job so I will post as to the possible opening date.

N

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

• 2 months later...

LilyKate is open now. It was empty so about 3 employees we're helping us with our selections.

We had a chance to try some of the take away tonight. We tried the Southern Fried Chicken, BBQ Ribs, and Green Beans with Bacon bits. While everything looked very good, we thought it was pretty average.

Their desserts we're very tasty though. We tried the Coconut layer cake with a Marshmallow frosting, their Carrot Cake, and a piece of the Chocolate cake.

They have a limited selection of grocery items to purchase so for now I would consider this more of a eating / takeout place. Maybe they will add more in the future.

The menu looks quite extensive and I'm looking forward to trying many of the other things that they have to offer.

For the above items it was just over $55.00. Kind of pricey IMO.

It's a beautiful store though! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Thus far I'm impressed with LilyKate. I took some photos of the venue with my cellphone - photos are not really great quality but I've posted the menus that one of their staff provided to me upon my initial visit, my comments on the place as well as observations on the opening night party on my blog:

Raj Taneja's Blog

Edited by tinhead (log)

LilyKate

This is not a review but a first impression.

The room is light and lovely, and when I dropped in mid-afternoon Sunday to fetch some HMR goods I largely had it to myself. This corner of Yaletown thrums midweek, I think, but is slightly hidden still on the weekends.

I bought a large chicken cacciatore (500 ml; $12), four date squares of quite generous proportion, a large breast (bone-in) of fried chicken, a banana cream tart and a large coffee. Total tab: $42 even.

Service was gracious and expedient. Half a date bar vanished on the way out the door--good but it was a bit of a blind date: the bottom crust disproportionately outweighed the filling. Banana cream tart: top drawer with terrific banana flavour. Coffee: slightly dilute, toasty but quite good.

The disappointment: the chicken cacciatore was dramatically underseasoned--almost devoid of herbal underlicks, salt or pepper. The chicken had been cut into small cubes (unusual in itself for this dish) and lacked the real heft of bone-in, slowly braised, savoury hunter-style chicken. I had been hoping for something earthier, and as we delve further into the menu, we'll keep you posted.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Dropped by Lilykate this morning ... Neil wasn't around for a free cuppa so I had to shell out! :angry:

Americano was good ... pastry (Orange Curd Bar) was nice & flaky, not too sweet. Good choice for the coffee.

I like the room a lot ... but would like it better if it was about 1/2 the size! It feels like a caffeteria in there. Perhaps that was the point. Maybe I'm just getting tired of bright hard surfaces and 16' ceilings. :rolleyes:

Agree about the prices for entrees, although the Anerican & pastry only set me back $4.50 which is pretty damn good in my books.

A.

LilyKate

The disappointment: the chicken cacciatore was dramatically underseasoned--almost devoid of herbal underlicks, salt or pepper.

How would you compare it to Urban Fare? Or Capers? Can you compare?

What does "underlicks" mean? I can guess, but wondering if this is an important culinary term?

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Tim Pawsey also reviewed LilyKate in this week's Courier.

His take: likes the room, first take-out encounter was satisfactory, would be inclined to eat in next time. "So far, though, LilyKate-for all its promise and unquestionable style-for the cost, needs more pizzazz on the plate"

Full review here: LilyKate Review

Cheers,

Anne

hey folks - a long time lurker, thought i would add a brief commentary about lilykate which happens to be around the corner from my house.

Quite an uncertain concept -restaurant, deli, take out, food store? For the one time I have eaten there we were quite uncertain entering because the legibility of the various components was not easily discerned from the street. If the place ever did get busy, I am not even sure how the food store would work (i.e. there are tables close to the food displays)

We took take-out and found the food average and a little expensive for the portion size.

The space is really quite nice; I walk by it numerous times a week in my general meanderings around the neighbourhood, I have never seen more than 2 customers (even during dinner hour); the Ellison Building (between Coast and the Thai Restaurant) is about to start renovation further depriving lilykate the meager foot trade it was receiving. my heart goes out to the entreprenaurs behind this venture, but something has to change quick....

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what to say about the Straight's review of Lillykate.

straight review

Granted that Lilykate might have their price points off and they may be struggling with opening pains. But the Angela Murrill's report is one of the worst pieces of - I don't know what - that I have EVER seen.

Not only does she decide to review (actually - demolish) Lillykate without actually EATING anything there - but she bears it as proof of her depth of character!

How does this get past the editor? Her bullsh*t smarmy review is proof of nothing except the neurotic baggage that she is dragging around.

I am sorry if I seem like I am pissed - but re-reading the review really makes my blood boil and I needed to vent. Has she ever stuck her neck out and tried to make a go of a business? Does she know what it means to lay your money, sweat, and tears, on the line and open shop in an incredibly competitive market like Vancouver. There are people working very hard at Lilykate and she dismisses the whole enterprise without tasting one bite of the food.

Come on! Show some class (or least some journalistic integrity). Her review has made me determined to go down to Lilykate and at least try some of their food.

(okay.... I feel better....)

Edited by canucklehead (log)

We went to Lillykate a month ago, after a friend's friend recommended to go there.

Severly disappointed. Will not go again. They charged $12 or so for nacho... and it wasn't even that special. The mustard chicken I had was rather boring, and dry. My friend was not impressed with his mojito and fish dish either.

For the quality, they should charge 1/2 of what they do now. We were so turned off we didn't bother to try out their desserts.

The only thing I would go back for is the country platter, which had pretty good cheese and bread.

I popped in for a latte and a snack - I had a brownie - I was a little low in the sugar dept.

All very nice. Not very busy. Clean as a whistle.

And here is the kicker -

No charge for you Sir ! , We know who you are !

The egullet army is rising up !

Seriously, they were very nice. I think that they will have some challanges, and now more so.

Has anyone compared prices at the Urban Fare Take Out ? This is not a loaded question, I am just curious. I have not had the time nor desire to compare until now.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Just read the review about Lilykate. While I don't really care for her style of writing (Sounds snobbish), with my experiences there, it isn't a far off review of the sit-down service.

I am in this place probably once or twice a week picking up items at the counter. Last Sunday we had Espresso's and dessert there as well. My lovely wife accented the trip with a run around the corner to Ganache to get some additional desserts to enjoy there as well. All very good and very reasonable priced. For what we ordered: a slice of their coconut cake and three 2x espresso's the bill came to under $9 . I thought they made a mistake and asked if it was accurate because it seemed low, but the server said it was correct. :smile:

The main dish flavours in time I'm sure will get better (hopefully). For now I order at the counter for to go. Usually some side dishes and / or desserts to accompany a main dish I prepare at home.

The atmosphere I really like, they just have a few kinks to iron out which is totally understandable for a new place.

While I have not eaten at Lilykate, (I have poke my head in) there seems to have been a few negative reviews of this place already. Hopefully they are listening, and will take these criticisms and adapt them somehow positive into a way as they see fit. It's not too late to refocus themselves.

Angela has some valid points. She says the place looks good. She said that the food in the showcase looks good. Chicken breast with vegetables and starch for $18 is alot of money for the lunch crowd. There was no table service. You guys have to admit, $18 bucks should include some service. I would expect that in a cheap low-budget venue, but not in a cool looking place like that.

It's tough when you get a negative review. However, you have to consider that the review is a reflection of the writers own experience at a given time. Besides, it wouldn't make for good reading if all people ever wrote about was puppy dogs and rainbows. Her function is to report her experience to the readers. It sounds like here experience was not a pleasant one. At least now the owners have a chance to make corrections. The only thing worse than a bad review is customers who have a negative experience but never tell you. Then what happens is that they don't come back...then you go out of business.

It's tough when you get a negative review.  However, you have to consider that the review is a reflection of the writers own experience at a given time.  Besides, it wouldn't make for good reading if all people ever wrote about was puppy dogs and rainbows.  Her function is to report her experience to the readers.  It sounds like here experience was not a pleasant one.  At least now the owners have a chance to make corrections.  The only thing worse than a bad review is customers who have a negative experience but never tell you.  Then what happens is that they don't come back...then you go out of business.

Clearly there is no issue if you dine at a restaurant and you don't like the food and you give it a negative review.

The issue with Angela's review is

a) She makes fun of places that look too good but don't serve good food

b) She then does not eat any of the food at the restaurant but is somehow able to write a dining review anyways!

WTF! It is like saying that I think that Margaret Atwood is to wordy when she writes and that her new book is terrible. But I could'nt get past the cover - so you will trust me that the book is shitty.

What is galling is that she is taking the high road morally yet she does'nt even do the basic prequesite when in comes to writing a food review - namely eat the food.

Negative reviews are not a bad thing - unsubstantiated ones are.

Clearly there is no issue if you dine at a restaurant and you don't like the food and you give it a negative review.

The issue with Angela's review is

a) She makes fun of places that look too good but don't serve good food

b) She then does not eat any of the food at the restaurant but is somehow able to write a dining review anyways!

WTF!  It is like saying that I think that Margaret Atwood is to wordy when she writes and that her new book is terrible.  But I could'nt get past the cover - so you will trust me that the book is shitty.

What is galling is that she is taking the high road morally yet she does'nt even do the basic prequesite when in comes to writing a food review - namely eat the food.

Negative reviews are not a bad thing - unsubstantiated ones are.

C'mon... tell us how you really feel...... :laugh:

Now, not having read upthread, and being a bit of a devil's advocate... have you perchance, dined at LilyKate, Lee? Just wondering... I have not so cannot comment.

Just muckrucking :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I know that it seems like I have gone off my rocker and believe me - I am thankful that the Vancouver forum has been indulgent of my rant.

I guess what made me mad - was how unfair the whole review was. Though most of egullet does not take any reviews too seriously - Angela Murrill's review can do the place some real damage. And it was an unfair review because she didn't eat anything. 10$ for a chicken breast seems pretty f-ing steep to me - so it better very tasty (and pretty jumbo-sized) for that price. But I would not know from Angela's review what it tasted like (or looked like or how big it was) - because she did'nt eat anything at the restaurant!

It made me think of all the people who run small business - and how powerless they would feel if someone in the press wrote something so lambasting about their business without actually patronizing the business. So - the most that Lilykate can do here is send off an angry letter to the editor - but the damage cannot be undone. BTW - I know that defending LilyKate is akin to standing up for a high fashion boutique in Kerrisdale.

I have'nt eaten there myself :rolleyes: and I suspect that my experience will echo alot of what the other posters on this thread have already said. But I will check it out for myself and actually eat something.

Signing off - Ralph Nader to the hopelessly good loooking. :raz:

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Her column was maybe more of a homily than a restaurant review. I always get a laugh comparing the ads in the Straight with what their columnists have to say.

Edited by barolo (log)

Cheers,

Anne

Her column was maybe more of a homily than a restaurant review.  I always get a laugh comparing the ads in the Straight with what their columnists have to say.

So there's hope yet that the Swedish Touch might do smorgasbord?

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Her column was maybe more of a homily than a restaurant review.  I always get a laugh comparing the ads in the Straight with what their columnists have to say.

Oh I'm sure you can get smorgasbord at the Swedish Touch!

Cheers,

Anne

Oh I'm sure you can get smorgasbord at the Swedish Touch!

Good, because I'm too old for the Happy Meal.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine