• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's Eve in DC DelMarVa

Al_Dente

Welcome Fred.

Zola hasn't gotten a lot of love here, but mainly due to service issues. DOn't know if anyone has any more recent reports.

Thanks JPW-

A friend made reservations for Zola based on a great meal she had there a week ago. Soooo

Cheers

I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but a friend mine had such a bad meal there and such bad service recently that she had to complain. She explained that she doesn't usually make a fuss, but did...

And the GM sent a batch of catalog Christmas cookies to her office and a large gift certificate with a note to apologize. Consistency is critical. How can a place be so hit or miss? It shouldn't be like gambling.

Thanks Morela. Luckily I just got back from Vegas a little while ago and I'm still in a gambling mood.

This New Year's I'm afraid it ain't Pamela Anderson on the other end of the poker table. Gamble away, as you please.

FYI - Lebanese Taverna (at least at the new Tyson's Corner branch) is offering unlimited ordering from their Mezze menu with belly dancing and a champange toast for $55 per person.

I've recently been critical of Lebanese Taverna on here, but my several visits to the Tyson's location for lunch have been pretty good, better than what I had had recently at other locations. I like the menu's larger focus on the Mezzes (I think I just like eating that way).

One aside to this - As I was leaving lunch yesterday the entire bar area (where I was sitting along with a separate big group of about 20 there for an office party) was getting showered from above from what appeared to be a broken pipe leading to a sprinkler head. People were still pouring out of the restaurant as I was leaving. I don't know how extensive the damage was, but you might want to check on that.

Bill Russell

Having lived through New Year's Eve planning, table assignment and reservation-taking just once has cured me forever of silly desires to celebrate at restaurants. It's just an awful night to be eating out, I don't care where. Waiters are stressed, kitchen is frenzied, and you're rubbing elbows with a thousand other rubes.

That, and Valentine's day. Jamais de ma vie. I would rather be chugging vodka with chips at a skanky house party.

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

I hate rubes too (oh God, you have no idea how much I hate rubes), but this year I will be one of them. My mother is going to be in town and she and jenrus decided they wanted to go out. I was planning on making a nice meal at home but they opted out. Maybe that says something about my cooking?

So we are going to Yanyu for their six-course tasting menu. I guess that's better than a kick to the groin.

Originally Yanyu was going to be for the 30th, but that's been replaced with reservations at Firefly. I KNOW that's better than a kick to the groin.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell