• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Tulsa

The changes in the restaurant scene in Tulsa has been for the good.

Table Ten opens soon on Peoria in Brookside.

Just across the street, The Grapevine has new owners, the Ellers, and they have changed it for the good. Chris Dodd is the new chef, the menu has gone from tired Italian to American bistro. The Steak Fritte is the best deal in town for steaks. And the french fries cooked in olive oil with blue cheese and bacon is wonderful. Plus, they have a real hot dog on the menu, not one of those little coney things.

No web site yet, but the new Doe's Eat Place on 15th is a nice addition to the dining choices in a town that seems to embrace mediocre food.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

My girlfriend was born and raised in Tulsa, and it has given me an opportunity to explore the town. Although I love the town, I have been unimpressed with its lack of quality fine-dining. It's a city that, if the price-point was right, could easily support a restaurant of the quality of Restaurant Hapa in Phoenix, a small, chef-driven restaurant where product quality and technique reign supreme. On the plus side, there are many good Indian, Thai, and Chinese joints.

IML

b/r

"Get yourself in trouble."

--Chuck Close

Good to hear that things are looking up for the Tulsa dining scene. I have relatives in Oklahoma and several college friends from Tulsa, so it's nice to hear about something more ambitious than a TGI Friday's opening. This gives me hope for my next visit.

Since the website for Table Ten currently only contains the menu and no information on the chef or owners, is there any other news you have on the place, Joiei? Any local buzz?

Since Tulsa residents seem a little more progressive than other areas of the state, I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a culinary movement. At one time Tulsa was the smallest city with a ballet, symphony, and art museum, causing some residents to cry that they should secede from Oklahoma on the basis of being more culturally enlightened!

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

One of the partners of Tableten is Richard Clark of the French Hen. I have found his food to be not consistent. But we can hope.

Buzz Dallesandro is supposed to open his place soon. It is at Boston and 18th in the old Sobo Loco location. He has quite a reputation from the old days when he was downtown. I know Italian, but not sure of the style.

Steve Howard is going to be opening an upscale chocolate shop and patisserie on Peoria also. His chocolates are very good. He is a former pastry chef who has returned home.

if your going to be in town, pm me and we can meet for dinner. I have been here for almost 4 years and there are slowly better choices than the corporate chain hell of 71st street. Someone has mentioned a pub in BA that I have to check out.

More when something opens.

At least it isn't OKC, that place is really hard up for food from what I have discovered on my journeys down the turnpike. 'They are getting a PF chang's and everyone is ready to wet themselves.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Someone has mentioned a pub in BA that I have to check out. 

At least it isn't OKC,  that place is really hard up for food from what I have discovered on my journeys down the turnpike.  'They are getting a PF chang's and everyone is ready to wet themselves.

BA=Broken Arrow???

Have you ever been to the Warren Duck Club in the Doubletree in Tulsa? One of my friends ate there with her new husband the evening of their wedding and just said it was "expensive," but didn't really elaborate.

Yes, OKC is Chain City and there are lines out the door for Olive Garden, although there are a few places I liked when I lived there such as La Baguette. I read in another thread somewhere that the cafe at the OKC Art Museum is supposed to be good, although I am skeptical of their statement that they are bringing "a taste of Chicago, San Francisco, and London to Oklahoma City."

(Should this thread be in the Southwest or the Heartland?)

Are there any other egulleters in Okie-land that would want to have an outing sometime? I live in Colorado, but I'm in Oklahoma several times a year visiting friends/family. Would be nice to explore some of the new dining places.

Edited by rlm (log)

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

I inquired and was told that Oklahoma was considered southwest, so this is where I posted it. It was a hard decision. Here in Tulsa, Oklahoma more heartland but down in Broken Bow, they think of it as southeast.

yes, BA is Broken Arrow.

As for an outing, I would be up for it. Right now, I drive to Dallas to meet with eG'ers. Not that that has been a bad thing, I now know some pretty cool folks down on the other side of the Red River. PM me when your going to be in and we can make some arrangements to meet up. I am always ready to try someplace new. And I have no problems going out of town for food.

• 3 weeks later...
At least it isn't OKC,  that place is really hard up for food from what I have discovered on my journeys down the turnpike.  'They are getting a PF chang's and everyone is ready to wet themselves.

That's an understatement! My mother stopped by yesterday after work and left after learning the line was 3 hours long just to be seated. She was so excited to learn they were opening up near Quail Springs mall. It really is a sad state of affairs around there. :wacko:

That's an understatement! My mother stopped by yesterday after work and left after learning the line was 3 hours long just to be seated. She was so excited to learn they were opening up near Quail Springs mall. It really is a sad state of affairs around there. :wacko:

My advice for her is to call in advance for a seating time. Either that or call the order in as a to go. The one here in Tulsa has been open long enough that the waits have been removed and you can actually get a reservation.