• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Dangers of Soda

jhlurie

I think the bottom line is they aren't food. They're chemicals and flavorings. I think we've trained ourselves to like the taste because once you get off of them, they really taste like crap. Plus they're expensive for what they are.

I think it's interesting how many heavy people drink Diet Coke.

I'm not saying you shouldn't drink them if you like them but I find them rather hard to defend.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Cakewalk,

That article is wrong on a number of points. You quoted from a site that sells stuff called Dr. Jeff's Joint Cream, Lax-Max, and M2000 weight loss products.

I believe this should be taken with a large grain of salt...

And as I've said before, I'm not really trying to defend them, though I do enjoy them. They don't taste like crap to me. Black eyed peas taste like crap to me. If I want to spend money on sodas, it's my choice. It's a mostly harmless product that should be used in moderation just like anything else on the face of the earth.

I'm just saying, don't believe the stuff you get in emails. 90 percent of the forwarded email running around out there is either completely false, or 15 years old.

edited for typos.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

• 11 months later...

article from Beverage Daily

Fizzy colas may increase consumers’ risk of hypertension that can lead to strokes and heart disease, suggests a new medical study, raising new problems for stumbling fizzy drink sales.  The study, published Wednesday in the Journal of American Medicine (JAMA), found a link between regular consumption of fizzy colas, including diet varieties, and increased risk of hypertension. Yet, the good news for the beverage industry was quickly dashed by new fears over fizzy colas.

So,will this make you think twice before having a soda?

Are you still unconvinced despite the study report?

Is this yet another hysteria-inducing bit of medical news?

Even CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta made Anderson Cooper's first 10 minutes on Anderson 360 with this news bulletin ..:huh:

The Caffeine Database I certainly found these numbers quite surprising! :shock:

On a slightly lighter note Take the Death-by-Caffeine Challenge :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Duh!!! The soda in colas comes from sodium.

What?? They don't make "soda" with sodium carbonate anymore. It gets its fizz from introducing pure carbon dioxide to water.

On the topic of "soda", drink companies don't refer to these beverages as soda. They call them "soft drinks".

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Duh!!! The soda in colas comes from sodium.

What?? They don't make "soda" with sodium carbonate anymore. It gets its fizz from introducing pure carbon dioxide to water.

You're right, but sodium benzoate, sodium erythorbate, and disodium EDTA are added to many to preserve freshness. Some may be sweetened with sodium saccharin. Aspartame doesn't have any sodium, though.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

You're right, but sodium benzoate, sodium erythorbate, and disodium EDTA are added to many to preserve freshness.  Some may be sweetened with sodium saccharin.  Aspartame doesn't have any sodium, though.

What?! I'm looking at a diet pepsi right here. 35mg sodium. That's about the same as tap water.