• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Favorite Local New Orleans Restaurants

Nola

• 2 months later...

Had a wonderful meal at Susan Spicer's HerbSaint over the weekend.  Started out with very respectable charcuterie and had an intensely flavorful steak frites onglet with herb butter.  Service and food comparative to the restaurants in New York where I've been going lately (Artisanal comes to mind because of the onglet) price was a bargain.  Had a delightful wine from the list at the server's recommendation a Squaloc merlot from Sonoma (2000).  All around, a wonderful dining experience in a bright, friendly room.

Also did the tourist thing at Antoine's (not my idea) and it was predictably awful and outrageously priced.  

Had a muffaletta from Central Grocery - good, but I was not blown away, I was surprised that they are not made to order, and the bread was a bit past prime.  Still, the olive salad was good enough to make me buy a jar convinced that I can make my own muffaletta and do a better job.  

Found some really cool bars - including Le Chat Noir, Lafite's Blacksmith and a place called DBA.

I can help with the latter having just been there (I forgot to add it).  ACME is touristy and there was a line to get in when I was there at about 1:30 on Friday.  Nonetheless, the food was pretty good - especially the oysters and the various overstuffed po boys.  Of course, I was there with about eight old friends I hadn't seen for a while, so the food, beer and laughter made for a great time.  It is very crowded and certainly "no frills," but I'd go back in a second.

Hi guys, as they say "bawn n raised in Noo Awlins" I don't get to the trendy places all that much, the wallet can't take it. I'm more of a hole in the wall type guy, although I do appreciate upscale, and respect it. However, I don't think trendy and cutting edge are necessarily a good thing. No insults intended, mind you.

That said, I went to Irenes a couple of years ago, and I thought it was fantastic even though we had to sit and wait out in the parking lot for over an hour, and my friend knew the owner quite well. Definitely worth it.

I saw Italian Pie, and would say that Pizzeria Milano is just as good, although it's out here in the 'burbs. Ate at Venezia in the last ten days as well, and thoroughly enjoyed it; the meal was as palatable as expected even though we got in there around 9:45 and didn't eat until around 10:30. We had not been there in nearly twelve years and it was surprisingly just as good as the last time.

Vincent's in another favorite of ours for Creole Italian as well as some Continental Italian. His crabmeat ravioli in Rosa Sauce is a really nice entree, but it's only on the special board occassionally.

I almost forgot. I saw a comment about Central Grocery. I love Central Grocery, and I shop there sometimes when I need pine nuts or fresh cheese. It is a sentimental type place I want to survive. I can envision my grandfather and his father shopping there after they sold their produce from the truck farms they worked on in Marrero.

However, there's a place in Old Metairie called Nor-Joe Import Company that is Central Grocery without all the years and tourists. It has more wares, and produces the best muffaletta (pronounced muff-a-lotta, not traditional Italian in the least)in the Metropolitan New Orleans area, bar none. They do not even slice anything until you order your sandwich. Sadly enough, Central makes all their sandwiches early in the morning and stack them for ready sales during the day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I drove by Mosca's the other night and they now have a lighted sign, and a lighted parking lot. That has me worried, hope the inside hasn't suffered. It's been years since I've been there and I'd dearly enjoy going back.

As for Acme Oyster House, it's not THAT touristy if you stay at the bar. And I strongly advise you to stay at the bar. Eat the oysters raw, and get a fried oyster meal. Stay away from the rest of their food, it's barely passable.

I'll check on Lola's on Esplanade Ave. I've never been there. But then, I haven't been to alot of places, but I do read about them often, and face it here, we talk over lunch about what's for dinner tonight, or where we ate last night.

A few messages back there was some talk about Mother's. I lived in N.O. about six years ago and recently visited. As far as I could tell, the food has not declined at all. In fact, I had a delicious breakfast of jambalaya, ham biscuit, and debris sandwich. The place is extremely popular, so it can be difficult to get in during peak meal times or when there is a convention going on. The situation is somewhat improved by the recent expansion of the dining area. If you want to avoid crowds altogether, midmorning seems to be best time to go.

• 2 weeks later...

In reference to Creole and to Cajun. They are two completely different

styles of cooking. They use a lot of the same ingredients but in styles that

reflect their origins. The best creole comes from New Orleans and the

best cajun comes from over around Lafayette. My favorite place to look for

old Louisiana Cookbooks is at that used bookstore out on Magazine Street

across from Rue de la Course.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 7 months later...

I'm bumping this topic up after reading it.

I am headed to the Final Four this weekend :biggrin: ...after being in NO for a wedding about 2 weeks ago. :wacko:

We ate at Galatoire's/CDM/Dickie Brennans/Central Grocery/Mr. B's/Parasol's/Tujaques (will go back...loved the bar).

I will plan on a Susan Spicer place for this go 'round, but any locally-loved recommendations, maybe off the beaten path type of place, would be appreciated. I'll have a car, but we're staying at the Fairmont.

I'll be having a nice dinner or two on the expense account, but mainly looking for mid-price to cheapy eats.

Thanks in advance and Hook 'em Horns!

Challah back!

I'm bumping this topic up after reading it.

I am headed to the Final Four this weekend  :biggrin: ...after being in NO for a wedding about 2 weeks ago.  :wacko:

We ate at Galatoire's/CDM/Dickie Brennans/Central Grocery/Mr. B's/Parasol's/Tujaques (will go back...loved the bar).

I will plan on a Susan Spicer place for this go 'round, but any locally-loved recommendations, maybe off the beaten path type of place, would be appreciated.  I'll have a car, but we're staying at the Fairmont.

I'll be having a nice dinner or two on the expense account, but mainly looking for mid-price to cheapy eats.

Thanks in advance and Hook 'em Horns!

Yeah, Spicer's Bayona is great. And Brigtsen's is worth the drive.

Hook Em, indeed. Not since Slater Martin.....

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

• 1 month later...
I almost forgot. I saw a comment about Central Grocery. I love Central Grocery, and I shop there sometimes when I need pine nuts or fresh cheese. It is a sentimental type place I want to survive. I can envision my grandfather and his father shopping there after they sold their produce from the truck farms they worked on in Marrero.

However, there's a place in Old Metairie called Nor-Joe Import Company that is Central Grocery without all the years and tourists. It has more wares, and produces the best muffaletta (pronounced muff-a-lotta, not traditional Italian in the least)in the Metropolitan New Orleans area, bar none. They do not even slice anything until you order your sandwich. Sadly enough, Central makes all their sandwiches early in the morning and stack them for ready sales during the day.

Too true.

I still remember the stale, awful, muffaletta I had from Central 18 (!) years ago.

2317/5000

I have a trip to NO planned for next weekend. I would love your input on my current itinerary:

Stella

Lee Circle

Lilette

Ugle's

Acme

Anything should be deleted? Where can I get the best oysters, considering it's May? Best fried green tomatoes?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes