• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Pepperidge Farm Cookie Topic

jhlurie

However, last year I read an article which said how much weight a person would leave, if they just cut down to the point of not eating cookies. So I haven't had a cookie with my after dinner tea since last year. 

I am sorry, but that is NOT the meaning of life ! You should be able to have 1 cookie per day without having to worry about if other people think you are fat............. :angry:

I used to love a Cappuccino cookie that was similar to Brussels, I think, except the cookie was coffee flavored with a chocolate filling.

While I am all for eating decadent foods in moderation in the quest for weight loss, I have to say I stopped buying Pepperidge Farm cookies because of the company's reliance on partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. Only a few types of cookies--such as Chessman--are made with butter rather than shortening. If I am going to eat so-called bad fat, I feel better about butter than PHVO.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Prolly won't be exactly the same, but Gale Gand has a recipe for Molasses Crisps. Sounds good, and I haven't used molasses in anything since I made a 7-hour wheyed (on purpose) Indian Pudding from a very old recipe a few months back, so I think I'll try it tomorrow.

Well aren't you a pumpkin. That recipe looks good enough to try even if they're nothing llike the PF cookies. Did you make them?

• 2 weeks later...
My kids love the Chessmen (and the mini Chessmen - so cute) and the Pirouettes.  And the little peanut butter filled goldfish.  :smile:

I love Milanos - but only the regular kind.

Pepperidge Farm cookies are the only packaged cookies I buy anymore, because they are eliminating all partially hydrogenated fats from their products.

This post gave me such hope that I specfically stopped in the cookie aisle at Harris Teeter last night. Alas the partially hydrogenated fats were still there in the Lido cookies...

:sad:

Jennifer

• 1 year later...

hey you are in luck- pepperidge farm has a new cocunut cookie that's quite good(the name escapes me know, but I beleive it also sounds tropical) ... no chocolate, but otherwise it may well be that cookie we both remember!

do you recall another coconut cookie they had without chocolate- it was ONLY available in the large mixed boxes (never earned it's own bag) Like you, i bought entire boxes just for a few of these- they had an almost bubbly airy look to them- like there must have been egg whites, but they were not as fine tesxtured as merangues... they were very light and crisp with a heady coconut aroma... I have been looking for years to find a recipe for a similar textured cookie.

to no avail. :sad:

The semi-discontinued Pepperidge Farm cookie I miss the most, however, is the Tahiti, a coconut and chocolate delight. They dropped off the shelves at least a year or two before the unfilled Pirouettes became extinct. Tahitis aren't sold individually any longer, but they're still included one of the large PF chocolate cookie collections -- in which you get four Tahitis for your six or seven bucks. T'huh.

A couple of years ago, I noted Trader Joe's carries unsweetened shredded coconut. A bit of further shredding and toasting of that, some melted bittersweet chocolate for coating, and elements of two or three recipes enabled me to come up with a solution to my small gastroeconomic problem. The results of my first attempt were a bit bland, so the second time I made them, I doubled the amount of coconut and increased the sugar by a third. They ain't Tahitis, but they're pretty good.

I remember reading a few years ago of a pastry chef who had spent a weekend or so duplicating every Pepperidge Farm cookie then extant -- just to keep his chops up, if I recall correctly. I can't remember where I read it, but this mention may have been in one of Steingarten's books. Anybody know who that was? Say...maybe he has a better Tahiti recipe.

I'm another Mint Milano fan (the orange ones are tasty, too), but my favorite are the coconut ones...Zanzibar? I haven't seen them in years but they were soooo good.

All my favorite cookies seem to be disappearing. I used to love Archway Ruth's Oatmeal cookies. Can't find 'em anywhere in AZ.

Pepperidge Farms used to make this "cookie" that was total chocolate death... and I mean that in the nicest of ways.

Creamy chocolate "mousse" sandwiched by two thick, buttery chocolate cookies and drenched in milk chocolate. I only remember seeing them sold individually, two to a plastic tray...

For years after their mysterious disappearance (I think late 80's/early 90's), I would look for these in the cookie aisle even though they had something like a thousand calories per pack. But I can't recall the name. Anyone?

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

• 3 weeks later...
However, last year I read an article which said how much weight a person would leave, if they just cut down to the point of not eating cookies. So I haven't had a cookie with my after dinner tea since last year. 

I am sorry, but that is NOT the meaning of life ! You should be able to have 1 cookie per day without having to worry about if other people think you are fat............. :angry:

This is a joke, right? Or do you have some rare genetic mutation that no one else in the female population has? ONE cookie per day? That would be hard enough with, say Oreos or Chips Ahoy (actually one Chips Ahoy would be one too many) but with Pepperidge Farms? Oh wait, I see now that you actually meant ONE BAG per day...right?

I see that no one else replied to this comment. I think they are either all in complete and utter shock or realize that it was a joke and are still laughing.

Ellen

• 11 months later...

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Pepperidge Farm has just started making entire bags of Tahiti coconut cookies available again for the first time in something like a decade -- instead of just a few at a time in their chocolate cookie assortment.

Maybe I should start making a fuss about Chocolite aerated chocolate bars and see if Nestle sits up and takes notice. (Don't tell me about Aero, Wispa, or similar bars -- they don't have the tiny morsels of honey the Chocolite had. But Cadbury does at least have a terrific Marathon bar substitute in their Curly Wurly.)

Mike Harney

"If you're afraid of your food, you're probably not digesting it right because your stomach is all crunched up in fear. So you'll end up not being well."

- Julia Child

"There's no reason to say I'm narrow-minded. Just do it my way and you will have no problem at all."

- KSC Pad Leader Guenter Wendt

I'm not sure what my favorite Pepperidge Farm cookie is.

I'd buy the assortments and was so busy shoveling them into my mouth with both fists, all the flavors would mix together.

Are you saying some people try them individually? Never tried that... :raz:

They really are so good, I almost NEVER buy them. If I do, I can't stop till the bag is empty, or close.

Wouldn't their marketing department have a fit with me?

I almost never buy them because they're too good.

The boyfriend and I devoured almost an entire bag of Brussels after dinner tonight. We made nice english breakfast tea with milk and sugar and dunked them while watching tv on the couch with a blanket.

I love the Brussels becuase they're perfectly thin, crisp, and delicious; they also have sentimental worth for us. Tea and Brussels cookies were the main focus of the evening of our first date. (after the movie/dinner stuff, of course.) We stayed up for ours munching and talking and cuddling!

Now he always keeping a bag in the pantry. :)

The very rare Tahiti...

Not so rare any longer. As I mentioned a few posts above, they're selling whole bags of 'em once more. I think they made their return just in the last few weeks, because for the last nine or ten years, I would always glance at the PF section in any store I happened to be in. And finally, Tahitis started reappearing everywhere (at least in Mass. and NH) early this month.

Mike Harney

"If you're afraid of your food, you're probably not digesting it right because your stomach is all crunched up in fear. So you'll end up not being well."

- Julia Child

"There's no reason to say I'm narrow-minded. Just do it my way and you will have no problem at all."

- KSC Pad Leader Guenter Wendt

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I really only liked Pepperidge Farm cookies (and bread) back before they got bought out by the huge corporate machine, back in the 1970s. Nothing's been the same since.

Brussels used to have a completely different color and texture. It was a true lace cookie, with holes you could see through, made with nuts.

Milano had butter in them, and tasted of it.

I could go on, but the topic is so depressing...

I really only liked Pepperidge Farm cookies (and bread) back before they got bought out by the huge corporate machine, back in the 1970s. Nothing's been the same since.

Brussels used to have a completely different color and texture. It was a true lace cookie, with holes you could see through, made with nuts.

Milano had butter in them, and tasted of it.

I could go on, but the topic is so depressing...

I know they were bought out - by Campbell's in the 60's, but didn't they go independent again? Oh, doing my own research, they are still part of the Campbell Soup Company product line...they were bought in 1961!

During high school a friend and I would cut school, pick up some milanos, get baked and hang out at the arcade, playing pinball and munching away.

I would always call friends for my math and English homework, and I never cut on test day.

That's how I maintained the highest grades in those two classes while totally goofing off.

My other classes suffered, but Milanos!

Do you blame me?