• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Pepperidge Farm Cookie Topic

jhlurie

First up: Pirouettes: Cream-filled Tubular Cookies Of Goodness.

I've always been addicted to these bad boys. Typically I'll overindulge in these and finish one of those 14 ounce canisters in days. Whenever someone buys one of those Pepperidge Farm assortments, I'll quickly empty out the Pirouette part of the container. :wacko:

I was thrilled recently to see that the classic Hazelnut-filled flavor (with Vanilla cookies) has now been supplemented with a new Chocolate Fudge-filled flavor (with Chocolate cookies).

There have also apparently been Vanilla-Cream filled and Chocolate Mint flavors (both with Vanilla cookies--the new flavor is the only truly chocolate one) for some time, although I've never actually found them in a store.

Screw Milanos! :laugh: Any other Pirouette fanatics out there, or are we going to have to fight it out for the title of best Pepperidge Farm cookie?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

The best Pepperidge farm cookie is from their 'Big and Chunky (or whatever it is called)' line, and is the Chesapeake, with the Sausalito a close second.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Let me second NulloModo on the supremacy of the Sausalito, which IIRC is their huge chocolate-chip-and-macadamia-nut cookie.

Mint Milanos are a close second in my book. I'll have to try the Chesapeake.

But first, I've got this bag of Goldfish to finish off. Oh, wait--that's a cracker. Perhaps I need to start a thread on the relative merits of Goldfish vs. other cheesy crackers.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

My kids love the Chessmen (and the mini Chessmen - so cute) and the Pirouettes. And the little peanut butter filled goldfish. :smile:

I love Milanos - but only the regular kind.

Pepperidge Farm cookies are the only packaged cookies I buy anymore, because they are eliminating all partially hydrogenated fats from their products.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

My kids love the Chessmen (and the mini Chessmen - so cute) .

I just read somewhere, or saw somewhere, that the prices of the minis and the regular are the same..but you get a third less in the minis...

add me to the Piroutte fan club...my local store carries deBeukelear creme de pirouline..same concept, an inch or tow longer, and more pronounced hazlenut flavor..for small dinner parties, the guests often volunteer to bring desserts..I always have a can of these on hand, to supplement the choices...in case they brought something other than chocolate...you can easily pop them into a glass lined with tissue paper...easy, pretty.

Veronas,Bordeaux, Chessman, Hazelnut, Sugar, not necessarily in that order. However, last year I read an article which said how much weight a person would leave, if they just cut down to the point of not eating cookies. So I haven't had a cookie with my after dinner tea since last year.

One year I bought tin of "Belgian Style" cookies for Christrmas, and when I opened the tin I discovered Pepperidge Farm cookies. I looked all over the tin to find the Pepperidge Farm name, and couldn't. I didn't mind that they were Pepperidge Farm Cookies, but I couldn't help wondering if the Pepperidge Farm people knew. There were a lot of the fancier cookies involving jam, nuts, and chocolate in the tin so I suppose that's where the Belgian bit came in.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

My kids love the Chessmen (and the mini Chessmen - so cute) .

I just read somewhere, or saw somewhere, that the prices of the minis and the regular are the same..but you get a third less in the minis...

It's true. The mini cookies are a total scam, but they are toddler sized and convenient occasionally.

Another one - the butter cookies with the jam in the middle. :wub:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

First up: Pirouettes: Cream-filled Tubular Cookies Of Goodness.

The cream-filled ones are nice--but I really like the unfilled ones--especially to serve with ice cream or an iced coffee. It got harder and harder to find those awhile back. Not sure if they even make them anymore. First it seems the plain unfilled ones disappeared as they added chocolate bits to the dough. Then came the cream-filled...

Other than that, my favorite was Brussels (regular, dark chocolate).

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'm a Bourdeaux fan myself -- lovely with tea. Although the Chantillys are quite nice.

Regarding those Chessman cookies, they have started making them with toffee bits in them lately - or are they butterscotch? Terribly addictive.

Humourous story on the Chessman... When I worked the Renaissance Faire too many years ago, I was dating a guy that ran the bulk of the game boothes (Splatter-a-Platter, Lawn Darts, and yes Monster Chess). He had these giant chess pieces that mostly stood two- to three-feet high. There were also a number of smaller sets that folks could sit around and play with. In an act rebellion against the Faire's management, we bought dozens upon dozens of bags of Chessman cookies to use on the boards and to hand out. Management was terribly pissed off ("not period, you know!") It took us FOREVER to open enough packages to get all the pieces for an entire chess set. Finally two guys started playing, eating the cookies of the pieces that they captured. Not being wimpy dudes, they downed their cookies with Ale, sometimes dunking... Ah, the good ole days....

I'm all for the Milanos and the unfilled Pirouettes. When my parents would have dinner parties or parties in general, my mom would usually buy one of the sampler boxes, and I LOVED the Pirouettes (if I could get my hands on them beforehand).

But really, I'd rather have Goldfish (just the old fashioned regular kind - don't need no stinking colors or XTREME flavors or anything like that). I could (and probably have) eat a whole bag in one sitting. :wub::shock::unsure:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

We have several Pepperidge Farm Outlet stores in my area. Can buy cookies, bread, rolls and such really cheap. I have seen the lemon nut cookies there. I like the crispness of the Brussels cookies, the flavor of the parmesean goldfish, and the crunchiness of their puff paste fruit turnovers. Oops I've strayed off the cookie topic now. :cool:

Good lord do I love Chessmen and Brussels.

I'm totally a Brussels fiend. That and orange or mint milanos.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Mint Milanos are pretty great. Isn't there a coffee Milano, too? I seem to remember having those and enjoying it, but maybe it's just the product of my fevered imagination. Don't like the orange Milanos, but that's because I can't stand the combination of chocolate and citrus.

I don't allow PF cookies into the house because I have absolutely no self control when they're around.:shock: Chessmen are my favorite and the Sausalito's are the best of the chocolate chip cookie category.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

...my local store carries deBeukelear  creme de pirouline..same concept, an inch or tow longer, and more pronounced hazlenut flavor..for small dinner parties, the guests often volunteer to bring desserts..I always have a can of these on hand, to supplement the choices...in case they brought something other than chocolate...you can easily pop them into a glass lined with tissue paper...easy, pretty.

Piroulines are the bomb. I can't even have them in the house, so I only buy them for parties, etc.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I'm an old school cheddar goldfish devotee. I love it when I get a bag that seems to have been heavily salted. Yet another pepperidge farm product I can polish off in one go.

this thread makes me want to go do sit ups as penance.

The Pirouettes are good, very good, but my heart (and stomach, and probably everything lining my arteries) belongs to Brussels Mint. So addictive.

The Salzburgs aren't so shabby, either.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

• 9 months later...

I got a new variety today, "Soft Baked Oatmeal Cranberry." They have 0 grams trans fat, which is good, but they have virtually no taste, which is bad. Don't waste your money on this variety.

Michael aka "Pan"

I got a new variety today, "Soft Baked Oatmeal Cranberry." They have 0 grams trans fat, which is good, but they have virtually no taste, which is bad. Don't waste your money on this variety.

Pepperidge Farm used to do cranberry walnut (?) cookies that were fantastic, but the only place I could find them here was in 7-Eleven!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs