• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ft. Lauderdale/Boca dining

Rosie

I should be around this Saturday. Boca has a lot of great spots. Many of which are chain such as: Cheesecake Factory, Seasons 52, Houston's, J. Alexanders, PF Chang's, Stir Crazy, Grand Lux Café, Maggianos, etc.

I live in Boynton Beach so I can't really think off the top of my head of some place that really cool to check out. We don't get a lot of action on the Florida board but it would be nice to see any responses.

-Scott

Padrino's, a Cuban restaurant (Boca); Bellaggio, Italian (City Place in West Palm); Mykonos, located on the water (Boca); Sundy House, my personal favorite, in a lush tropical setting (in Del Ray - a town north of Boca); The Melting Pot, a fondue restaurant (Boca).These are but a few. All are lovely.

Don't know how long you'll be together - or whether you will be in hotels - or live in the area - but one fun thing to do might be going down to the docks in the afternoon to see the charter boats coming in and seeing what they're selling. I think it's pompano and yellowtail season now - Florida lobster season soon. Every town with an inlet has docks with charter boats which sell fish - some are bigger and some are smaller. I am familiar with Hillsboro Inlet (near Pompano Beach - a little south of Boca) - but I would do a little research and investigate the others. Robyn

Hi,

Its me getting together with the OP. We've gotten together before when I'm in town, but it was in my neck of the woods( Ft. Lauderdale).

Do you know the Tin Muffin cafe? I've eaten there before years ago( in Boca) and seem to remember that it was good.

Any opinions? We'll just be spending the afternoon together.

Don't know how long you'll be together - or whether you will be in hotels - or live in the area - but one fun thing to do might be going down to the docks in the afternoon to see the charter boats coming in and seeing what they're selling.  I think it's pompano and yellowtail season now - Florida lobster season soon.  Every town with an inlet has docks with charter boats which sell fish - some are bigger and some are smaller.  I am familiar with Hillsboro Inlet (near Pompano Beach - a little south of Boca) - but I would do a little research and investigate the others.  Robyn

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I'm driving down to meet Randi (she's staying in a hotel near Miami). We're going to have lunch and then try to hit a restaurant supply store. Neither of us like chain restaurants so I think we may start out at the Tin Muffin Cafe. Robyn, I'll bring my cooler just in case I find a few stray yellowtail fillets looking for a good home! (I still can't eat pompano after a bad case of food poisoning at a local place nearly 10 years ago. Shame, because we can catch them surfcasting here during certain times of the year, but when I see pompano for sale or on a menu, I have a horrible gag reaction. :wacko: )

• 4 weeks later...

i am fairly new to boca from nj and have not found much i love...but a couple are punjab for indian on federal hwy in boca..fah for sushi on federal also...renzo (the restaurant not pizza) for the best cold seafood salad...their pizz place is goood also...

• 3 months later...

I need help.

I will be staying in Ft Lauderdale for two weeks in mid-January. We'll be staying with friends who have recently purchased a house there. I don't know the area at all as I haven't even visited for over ten years.

Here's the rub. I'm the only American in the group. There will be my wife who is British, her sister & her husband and our hosts who are also British. Needless to say I want to put on a good show for my British friends & relations.

We have two serious cooks in the group and everyone is a serious diner open to all styles of food. I suspect that we'll cook in about half the time.

So, I'm looking for suggestions for both food shopping and dining. We'll try anything but French or English cuisine. (on point bring coals to Newcastle so to speak.

I've read the thread and there are lots of great suggestions there, but I'm looking for more and I'm looking for up to date 'local knowledge'.

Any & all help greatly appreciated.

Do you know what area of Ft. Lauderdale? Believe it or not, its quite large.

I can tell you where to get great bagels and NY style Pizza. I can also give you some good shopping options. I do do much fine dining when I'm there, but can give you more casual options.

Also check Chowhound, there is an active Florida board.

Do you know what area of Ft. Lauderdale?  Believe it or not, its quite large.

I can tell you where to get great bagels and NY style Pizza.  I can also give you some good shopping options.  I do do much fine dining when I'm there, but can give you more casual options.

Also check Chowhound, there is an active Florida board.

Thanks for the tip. Our friend's house is near Mayan Lake & South Beach Park. Does that help?

Some of the things I'd particularly be interested in are:

- A great hamburger joint. Don't have those in rural France.

- Likewise a great BBQ place.

- Best wine shop?

- Is there an outstanding Mexican place? I do my best here, but I'm not that good.

- Naturally, Cuban!

- Best nearby Supermarket. The thread tells me that there's a good Wholefoods, but I don't know how far away it is. We have fond memories of the one in Providence, RI.

I could go on, but really anywhere food related that local people think worth mentioning.

Thanks again for any & all help.

Well I started going through all the Ft Lauderdale posts I could find for place thar looked good.

As an aide I put together this. Its an interactive map of the places I've seen mentioned.

Use it for what its worth. Better yet feed me more places!

Well I started going through all the Ft Lauderdale posts I could find for place thar looked good.

As an aide I put together this. Its an interactive map of the places I've seen mentioned.

Use it for what its worth. Better yet feed me more places!

I'm waiting to hear back from my friend who lives in the area for more rec's for you. The Whole Foods you have marked on your map is pretty far from where you're located. There is a closer one I believe on US1(aka Federal HWY) and Sunrise Blvd. Its probably about 2-3 miles from where you're staying.

I think there is also a closer Doris's market. My sister/mom love that market, but I was never that impressed. Its ok, but you'll be dissapointed if you compare it to what you can find in France.

You MUST go to Jaxson's for Ice Cream. Everything is homemade and its been around for over 50yrs. But, be prepared to wait in line on a weekend. Weekdays arent too bad. Dont eat any of the food there, just the many different ice cream creations.

I'll tell you where I eat when I go home to visit.

Mario The Baker( homestyle Italian food) on Sunrise blvd/University dr. I've been going there since I was a kid. Its in the Zagat guide( not that that means anything) and its super cheap. They have good NY style pizza too.

I dont eat Hamburgers, but there used to be a place called Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger that made good onion rings, shakes, malts and burgers. I believe its closed now, not sure what it has been replaced with.

Mexican food is pretty scarce in that area. I've eaten at a place in Hollywood called Cancun(?), it was pretty basic.

For Cuban, I love Las Vegas Cuban Cuisine. The lunch specials are sooo cheap, around six to 8 dollars. There are multiple locations.

Do you like Deli? There are a lot of good deli's in the area, if you're interested in Pastrami, corned beef, etc, etc.

I love going to The Sage in Hallandale for breakfast. They have amazing bagels. Its a kosher style restaurant, so no pork products.

Your not too far from the Old Florida Seafood House in Wilton Manners. Old school seafood restaurant( lots of seniors), but the fish is great and you get tons of food.

Are you interested in a Brazillion steak house? There are a few good ones in the area.

I'd skip Sawgrass Mills Mall. Its not a true outlet mall, I think its way overrated.

Stroll long Las Olas Blvd, there are tons of cute shops there and a few good places to eat.

I'll be back later with more!!

From my friend who lives in Ft. Lauderdale:

Tell them to check out Coconuts. It's on the water (intracoastal side) just south of Las Olas Blvd. They have great burgers, seafood, salads, ribs, etc. Good service too. I like it a lot. Here is their website.

http://www.coconutsbahamagrill.com/

The best wine shop is 'Total Wine' off 17th Street Causeway. They have the best prices and selection. It's a huge store and the staff are very knowledgeable. Here is the address.

The Harbor Shops Plaza

1906 Cordova Road

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

There is a good mexican place on the corner of 17th Street Causeway and Cordova Road called "Carlos and Pepes". It's been there for years. Jim and I ate there a couple months ago and it was good. It's not as good as Frontera Grill or Topolobambo, but there isn't anything that good in Ft Laud that I know of.

There is a hugely popular soul food barbeque place on Federal Highway called "Tom Jenkin's". It's south of 17th Street Causeway. The place is more for take out, but they do have picnic benches inside if you want to eat in. Counter service only though and there are usually long lines, especially on Saturday and in the evenings. They're closed Sunday and maybe another day during the week as well.

Whole Foods is on Federal Highway between Sunrise and Oakland.

My favorite cuban restaurant is Padrino's. It's on Hallandale Beach Blvd. Unfortunately, I haven't found one closer that I like. They have a great lunch buffet that is a great value. Here is the website:

http://www.padrinos.com/

Wow! Thanks for all of your valuable information. I'll be incorporating it into my map over the next day or so.

Also, thank your nameless friend.

Should you ever come to SW France you now know who to call on for help!

I'll thank Mike from you? He's an eG member so maybe he'll come over and chime in.

Do you like Jewish Deli food? There are a few great places you can get pastrami, corned beef, etc.

Also, Coal Fired pizza seems to be all the rage now. A pretty good one is called Anthony's. There are numerous locations. All they serve is coal fired chicken wings, pizza, 2 salads and 2 different samwiches.

DONT eat CHINESE in S. Florida. IT all SUCKS!! There is a good Thai place not far from where you're staying if you're interested in that.

Also, I know some great high end Italian. Let me know what else you want.

I'll thank Mike from you?  He's an eG member so maybe he'll come over and chime in.

Do you like Jewish Deli food?  There are a few great places you can get pastrami, corned beef, etc.

Also, Coal Fired pizza seems to be all the rage now.  A pretty good one is called Anthony's.  There are numerous locations.  All they serve is coal fired chicken wings, pizza, 2 salads and 2 different samwiches.

DONT eat CHINESE in S. Florida.  IT all SUCKS!!  There is a good Thai place not far from where you're staying if you're interested in that.

Also, I know some great high end Italian.  Let me know what else you want.

Just keen'em coming. This is just great.

Yes to Deli's, yes to Brazilian steak houses. High end Italian might be nice.

Are there ANY good outlet centers? Linda & her sister love to shop & find bargains.

Although the way the pound is falling this vacation won't be as inexpensive as they thought.\

Doesn't matter to us as we have dollars; in fact we're delighted that the dollar is doing so well against the Euro at the moment.

I think the map is fully updated now.

Chima( Brazillion with an amazing salad bar) on Las Olas.

Times Square Pizza Parlor, 2304 East Oakland Park Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33306 (954) 566-7772.

Pomperdale New York Style Deli, 3055 East Commercial Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33308, (954) 771-9830. ( We used to eat here when I was a kid, its been in business over 50yrs)

The Pastrami Club

5240 North University Drive

Lauderhill, Florida 33351

(954) 748-0001

Pizza Rustica( this is a chain, there is one in Ft. Lauderdale). This didnt impress me, I ate at one in MI( the only one outside of FL) and I thought it was just so/so. Google it cause there is a website.

Pa’ DeGennaro’s, 4331 North Ocean Drive (A-1-A), Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Florida 33308 (954) 351-0310 ( this is close to where you're staying, but I've never eaten there. I've heard good things)

There are not really good true outlet malls in S. Fl. I always find great bargains at Ross stores. There are a few in the area. I believe there are Tuesday Morning's too and they sometimes have good deals.

Of course, you're not too far from The Galleria Mall. It has some high ends shops and there are lots of funky shops on Las Olas Blvd( no bargains there)

Check out Jeffeats.com. His reviews are pretty spot on.

Burger - you have to do Le Tub on A1A in Ft Lauderdale. It is every bit as good as the rep, and the service is everything it is reported to be! :biggrin:

Actually the best Chinese is from a place called "Uncle Tai's" - in Boca. Check it:

http://southflorida.metromix.com/restauran.../123835/content

Sage simply has the best bagels.

You do know that Stone Crab season is in right? You must partake.

Look for a "The Knife" - Argentinian and very good bang for the buck. Quality varies from day to day - but there is always something very good as long as you don't mind a wide range of protein sources.

Many Peruvian holes in the wall that are wonderful. Will come back with more.

Look for a "The Knife" - Argentinian and very good bang for the buck. Quality varies from day to day - but there is always something very good as long as you don't mind a wide range of protein sources.

With the utmost respect, Anne, I don't think you want to send somebody from France (or anywhere, really) to The Knife! It sorta borders on inedible, or at least it did the day that we tried it.

If they're venturing afield from Ft. Lauderdale and want to try the all-meat experience, I think they'll have a much better meal with delicious meats if they go a bit farther and try Texas de Brazil, though that's already far. And with the discounts that you can get on their site by signing-up, you get a large variety of rather good meats at a nice price.

Of course, I'm remembering that the best thing we found to eat at The Knife was the miscellaneous gristle. I'm envious if you got something edible there!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Hey Mark, did you go to the one on Hallandale? Sausage and organ meats - including the organ meats on the salad bar. A lot of people make the mistake of getting the chicken skewers or the "filet" (and I use that term loosely) from the grill. Going down market on the meats is the trick at The Knife. Did you try the Chorizo?

There is one very, very interesting chef owned place on Lake Worth Road at the intersection of Jog on the Southeast corner. El Chamol. This chef likes to show off, I think he came out of the Ritz-Carlton and recently expanded to two store fronts. Seared scallops on Poblano risotto. Amazing. He takes much more care with the upscale food than the tables that order fajitas. He does a very interesting play with vol-au-vant as well that my son absolutely scarfs. Service there, as it is in most of South Florida, "casual" - but hey, it's Florida, and a state of mind.

Texas de Brazil is a fine place to eat, and suitably protein heavy. I sweat all the way home!

As far as shopping goes, look for little mom and pop Hispanic and or Asian markets that litter the corners in less than savory neighborhoods. There you will find South American Coca-Cola in glass bottles, live fish, etc. etc. Poky coming out of your ears.

Further south, if the person wants to stray that far, Miami Danny always manages to find the cool places:

Click for Daily Cocaine

Further south, if the person wants to stray that far, Miami Danny always manages to find the cool places:

Click for Daily Cocaine

That's just what I was going to post about, Anne. And he has discovered a very good Hong-Kong style dim sum and noodle place, about which he says:

I will preach more on the duck, and the freshest dim sum you can get uptown, tomorrow. For now, know that there is a new dim sum sheriff in town...

This is in N. Miami Beach, so it's really not that far from Ft. Lauderdale, especially if you're already out for a drive on A1A.

Hong Kong Noodles

1242 NE 163rd St

N. Miami Beach

305-956-5677

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Hey Mark, did you go to the one on Hallandale? Sausage and organ meats - including the organ meats on the salad bar. A lot of people make the mistake of getting the chicken skewers or the "filet" (and I use that term loosely) from the grill. Going down market on the meats is the trick at The Knife. Did you try the Chorizo?

Yup, that's the one we went to. I guess that we were comparing it to to Texas de Brazil. I just remember an all-around lousy meal there, (and a dinner partner glaring at me all through the meal for having chosen it).

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 1 month later...

There is a great seafood restaurant in Ft Lauderdale. Check out their website.

http://www.sunfishgrill.com/

I ate there a few days ago and loved it. Excellent quality, service and good value. Entrees range from $24 to $32 and include two sides - starch & vegie or two vegies. I got a side of sauteed swiss chard and a side of asparagus. They were delicious and they did not charge xtra. They also offer a mixed green salad for $7 extra with an entree. It sounds high, but he salad was the best mixed greens, awesomely fresh - no slimey lettuce strands, and the size was huge - definitely enough to share. Warning the focacia basket that comes before the meal is addicting and will ruin your appetite. I had to take over half of my entree home because I ate too many of the focacia slices! ...and they kept refilling it! I know I could have said no thank you, but they don't ask, they just refill - fresh from the oven too! Yum! I want to go back and try the desserts which looked fabulous. The lady next to us was moaning with each bite she took of her egg nog creme brulee. Then she tasted her husbands apple crisp and gasped with delight. It was definitley a "When Harry Met Sally" moment!