• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ft. Lauderdale/Boca dining

Rosie

Theres a good Rodizio place in lauderdale off US 1 called Brasil Brasil.<p>My favorite crab spot is the Rustic Inn (http://www.crabhouse.com). Go here for garlic blue crabs.

For ice cream/dessert be sure to check out Jaxsons in Dania.

This is Rachel's post on CH about Lauderdale, although I heard Billy's is closed at this time of year -- youre at the tail end of stone crab season but there still should be plenty.

http://www.chowhound.com/south/boards/flor...sages/2053.html

Also Alpine Village in Lauderdale for good German

http://www.chowhound.com/south/boards/flor...sages/2054.html

for Breakfast, The Original Pancake House on Lauderdale also on US 1.

Also, if you are willing to schlep down to Miami, you MUST go to Versailles on Calle Ocho for Cuban food. 3555 SW 8th St, on the corner 36th Ave.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I LOVE Cafe de Paris on Las Olas in Ft Lauderdale...

They have an awesome fixxed price dinner- that has country pate or French onion soup to die for...plus the BEST rack of baby lamb...and for dessert, the chocolate gateu is INCREDIBLE...

Had hub's 60th birthday party there and have been back 3 other times since...it has been around for over 25 years and is a real French Bistro..

Stone Crab season is soon to be among us.

Billy's Stone Crab is now open for biz for the season:

http://www.stone-crabs.com/

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 1 year later...

Hathor,

I'm sure some other people can help you more than I, but I can tell you this: there'a a Whole Foods on Glades Rd. in Boca Raton, just east of I-95. Two towns south of Boca, in Pompano Beach there's an excellent butcher shop called Vinnie's Prime Meats. It's on Sample Rd, just west of US 1 (a.k.a. Federal Highway). There's also a fish monger called Seafood World on Federal Hwy, about six blocks north of Sample Rd. that has a good reputation, but I'm not a big fan of fish, so I really am not sure about this one. Also a place on Hillsboro Blvd called Pop's that's been there forever.

Edited for the fish...

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Doris (an Italian deli, not a person) on Yamato Road.

It's been a couple of years since we shopped there, but if it still exists, as I presume it does, it is worth checking out. Iirc, it is not within Boca city limits, but is just outside, in Palm Beach County.

Doris (an Italian deli, not a person) on Yamato Road.

It's been a couple of years since we shopped there, but if it still exists, as I presume it does, it is worth checking out. Iirc, it is not within Boca city limits, but is just outside, in Palm Beach County.

Oops! Forgot that one, since I don't get there much at all. There's also King's Deli, which has awesome chopped liver! (moan) :angry: I don't get to eat that anymore; too much natural sugar(/moan) :raz: King's isn't kosher, but says "kosher style".

edited for kashrut

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Thanks!!

Otherwise we wind up at that grocery store where the poor employees have to wear those unfortunate green uniforms...publix?

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

I'll second Whole Foods for a national high-end chain - and King's for a local gourmet store.

As for Publix - it's one of the best (if not the best) middle-of-the-road supermarket chains in the country. And it treats its employees very well. If I had to pick only one place where I could do my shopping - Publix would be it. Robyn

As for Publix - it's one of the best (if not the best) middle-of-the-road supermarket chains in the country.  And it treats its employees very well.  If I had to pick only one place where I could do my shopping - Publix would be it.  Robyn

Robyn: I will second your accolades for Publix. I spent a year in Gainesville for school and the two closest supermarkets to my apartment were a Publix and a Winn Dixie. The choice was not a tough one.

The Whole Foods on Glades is certainly a spectacular store but for a regular market the Publix on Hidden Valley at N. Federal is more than sufficient.

Publix looks even better to me as I watch the gradual destruction of the once-beloved Giant chain here in the DC-Baltimore area at the hands of Royal Ahole, I mean Ahold. :angry:

Edited by Chantilly Bob (log)

As for Publix - it's one of the best (if not the best) middle-of-the-road supermarket chains in the country.  And it treats its employees very well.  If I had to pick only one place where I could do my shopping - Publix would be it.  Robyn

Robyn: I will second your accolades for Publix. I spent a year in Gainesville for school and the two closest supermarkets to my apartment were a Publix and a Winn Dixie. The choice was not a tough one.

The Whole Foods on Glades is certainly a spectacular store but for a regular market the Publix on Hidden Valley at N. Federal is more than sufficient.

Publix looks even better to me as I watch the gradual destruction of the once-beloved Giant chain here in the DC-Baltimore area at the hands of Royal Ahole, I mean Ahold. :angry:

Winn Dixie is the sad case here. Winn Dixie is what it is - but the Davis family (founders of Winn Dixie) is local - and an important local corporate citizen. Winn Dixie - like a lot of lower end chains that have to butt heads with the likes of Walmart and KMart supercenters etc. - is probably doomed to extinction. I wonder if I'll ever see a Jax zoo exhibit donated by Walmart? I'm not holding my breath.

Winn Dixie even tried a higher end "concept store" in my neck of the foods - but - I don't think it can compete head-to-head against the Publix, Harris Teeter and Fresh Market stores that are within a 3 mile radius.

That Publix on Federal Highway is neat - nothing like a Publix with a barrel tile roof. I'm surprised Palm Beach hasn't required the Publix there to renovate its ancient store and make it look like the Boca Federal Highway building. Robyn

Grazie mille for all the good suggestions... I was able to shop and feed the clan superbly!

Whole Foods has a wonderful meat department and good produce. I had a little problem switching gears from cold weather food to warm Florida food, ok there was no celery root but the avocados were lookin' good.. :biggrin:

As far as a fishmonger goes... I had forgotten about this fish store from a previous visit..and this visit confirmed my first impression: this is a fabulous fish market!

Old Dixie Seafood

7000 N Dixie Hwy

Boca Raton 561-988-0866

I was mulling over the oysters, when the owner asked if I was interested in a 'box' of oysters.

How many in a box?

How much?

$25.00

Where are they from?

Apallacola (that is a phonetic spelling...I have no idea how its spelled)

What kind of shrimp are they?

Wild sea shrimp 6-8 to a pound (!!!) These are not prawns (said with disdain)

These shrimp were outstanding....full of shrimpy flavor...not fishy, but sweet, succulent, tender.

We also got some gorgeous tuna and great stone crab claws that came with cracking instrustions because I was holding them for a day.

The oysters were stupendous...briny, metallic, plump and it was the bottomless box. I have no idea how many were actually in that box or why he gave me the box for 25 bucks but it was the bargain of the century. The first night we had a raw fest, the second night a massive Oyster Rockefeller starter course and by the 3rd night when we found yet another bag of them squirelled away in the cooler (I think they were breeding when we weren't looking), they went onto the barbecue.

So, all in all. I shopped. I cooked. And boy, did we eat. Couldn't have done it without you!

Happy New Year!

• 1 year later...

On Xmas Day we will be landing in Fort Lauderdale airport on our way to Boca, via I-95 around noon. Travelling with two adolescents we will probably need to stop for food somewhere on the drive. Can anyone recommend anything interesting within five minutes or so off the road?

For this purpose, we are hoping to do better than the standard issue chains. The likeliest places to be open are probably Chinese restaurants. Is there anything decent in that category? We would rather eat closer to FLL than to Boca.

We will be passing by Coconut Creek, Highland Beach, Pompano Beach, Deerfield, on the way north. If that helps rouse any suggestions.

If it has to be a chain, any recommendations for something NOT available in the northeast.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, looking for something interesting, unique, non-pretentious and relatively inexpensive in the Boca Raton area. Cuban joint, pho/banh mi, etc. would be great.

I've read a bit about La Tre, which looks good, but is there something even more hole-in-the-wallish?

Otherwise, my family's going to take me to Olive Garden, Cheesecake Factory, and other unmentionables!

I haven't been to Boca in quite a while, but here's a dining website with Boca suggestions that I've used with some success in other parts of South Florida, so these may be worth checking out, especially in the face of the "unmentionables".

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Probably you'll find this silly, but there is an interesting British pub called the Blue Anchor in Delray, on Antlantic Ave. It's an ACTUAL really old British pub, shipped here I don't know when. Somehow Jack the Ripper is part of the history of the pub. I dated an ale drinker for awhile, had a shop on Atlantic Ave, and ate my fair share of Scotch eggs there, a food that I adore, personally! It's got traditional Britpub fare and also burgers and stuff like that, if I remember correctly. I DO know they served fish and chips. I ate MORE than my share of chips, especially off of other people's plates, I'm embarassed to say! :shock:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

For breakfast, I strongly recommend Palm BEach Bagel & Bakery, which is on Clint Moore in the Resort Shopping Center (by 441).

Its a family owned business where the waitresses do remember you. Very homey.

A lovely little establishment.

If you don't mind driving a bit, in Delray there is a great authentic Greek restaurant on Atlantic called Tasos. Prices are reasonable and food is GOOD! Do call for their hours. They close for 2 to 3 hours in between lunch and dinner shifts.

If you want ribs & barbeque, head for Mississipi Sweets on Federal Highway. Its in a small non descript strip mall on the west side of the road. Delicious food.

Next door to it is a nice french restaurant. I haven't eaten there in years but it was good last time I went. The prices are high, but reduced a bit if you go during early bird hours.

• 1 year later...

Any good recs for a casual lunch place for a couple of egullet members to meet this Saturday?

Also, are there any good restaurant supply stores or unusual markets worth shopping in that area? Any other suggestions on how two foodies should spend the day in the WPB or Boca area would be welcome!

Edited by kbjesq (log)

I am partial to Legal Seafoods (small chain - but really good grilled fish). There's one at the Town Center Mall in Boca - and one at City Place in West Palm Beach - so take your pick. Apart from places to buy food - the only somewhat unusual (for the east Coast) place where I like to browse is Sur La Table (in Palm Beach Gardens). Robyn