• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

light whites.

Luckylies

I've been drinking a bunch of different light whites recently and I had the pleasure to try a torrontes from mendoza, argentina. It was wonderful. reminded me of a sauv from new zealand, without the stingy pissy flavour (that i love) it was light, lemony crisp and very rasiny/grapey...and cheap! 10 bucks ha! a perfect everyday delight.

anybody have any old or new favorites?

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I love the Petit Bourgeois from Henry Bourgeois (currently vintage 2003). This is basically declassified Sancerre (grapefruity mineral laden Sauvignon Blanc) from Chavignol and a fantastic value for 12 bucks.

Elena Walch Pinot grigio from Alto Adige Italy (currently 2003) is a great 13 dollar bottle, very accesible and fat because of the heat spike in August of 2003, yet acidity and balance remains. This wine gives hope to the much maligned Pinot Grigio vairetal.

Prieler Pinot Blanc from Burgenland Austria (2002) is delightful, apples and dry peaches abound with a lovely chalky minerality. $20 bucks.

over it

Any of the Alto Adige white wines from Alois Lageder are excellent. Their Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio and Pinot Bianco are all great QPR.

There's lots of good Sauvingon Blanc to be had from New Zealand. Kim Crawford, or Villa Maria are two favorites. The whole line of Villa Maria wines are tasty and refreshing and not too hard on the wallet either.

There's great Italian whites like Falanghina or Fiano de Avellino. Even little known Greek white like Moschofilero is light and refreshing and perfect with fish and that sort of "tapas-y" cuisine. And there's always great white wines from Spain and Portugal like Albariño and Vinho Verde that are light and refreshing. Verdad (Qupe second label - Spanish grape varietals grown in CA) makes a domestic Albariño from Santa Barbara County that scores high points with me. It's absolutely delicious.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I don't know if this is the same wine you had or not, but here is a note on a Torrontes I greatly enjoyed...

2003 Crios de Susana Balbo Torrontes, Cafayate, Argentina. Had I known it was going to be all downhill after this beautiful wine, I would’ve bogarted one of the two bottles that were open. Torrontes is the grape in this wine, and the wine is sort of a hybrid between Viognier and Gewurztraminer. It’s floral, has a peach pit element, but also brings on some spice. The nose shows lemon drop, honeysuckle, peach, and spice. The flavor profile is similarly complex and layered. Clean and long finish. Looking back on the even, the discovery of this wine was worth sacrificing my palate on the ones to follow. This wine runs between $10 and $15, and is worth snapping up. A good summer sipper and salad wine.

I don't honestly know what is meant by light whites, but I've been enjoying riesling kabinetten from Germany, arneis from Piemonte, and Saumur whites from the Loire.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Right now I'm sippin' on a IGT Grillo(grape) from Sicily by Feudo d' Elimi.

First time I've had this grape.

Quite melony, cooked apples, not brisk or bracing acidity but acid is certainly present.

At $12.00 CND or better put $12.00 in Vancouver, (which has perhaps the highest alcohol prices in all of North America), pretty decent wine for the money.

slowfood/slowwine

There's great Italian whites like Falanghina or Fiano de Avellino.

Love both, but while I do see Falanghina as a light white, I'm not sure Fiano falls into the "light" category. Or maybe it depends on style: certain Fiano like Pietracupa, Clelia Romano and the Feudi di San Gregorio selections have a nice structure. Katie, is there any particular producer you think makes nice light Fiano?

My favourites at the moment are AltoAdige whites: Hofstaetter, Cantina di San Michele Appiano, and Lageder's clearly too, are good producers with reasonably priced wines.

Recently tasted some very nice sauvignon, with very nice and clear flint and gooseberry notes, from Springfield Estate (Robertson, SA). Even their second line, Firefinch, has some nice wines at very good prices.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Love both, but while I do see Falanghina as a light white, I'm not sure Fiano falls into the "light" category.

This is sort of what I meant in my comment about not being sure what was meant by "light" whites. One person's light is another person's medium or full. I would definitely place most Falanghina in a "lighter" column than most Fiano di Avellino, but they can both reside in the same neighborhood IMO.

Anyway, it's a fun discussion.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

If you have access to Rieslings from the Finger Lakes in New York State, you might like them. We just had a Treleaven Riesling that was surprisingly light, crisp, and fruity. Used to like Dr. Konstantin Frank, but last year's was disappointing and haven't had this year's yet.

If you have access to Rieslings from the Finger Lakes in New York State, you might like them.  We just had a Treleaven Riesling that was surprisingly light, crisp, and fruity. Used to like Dr. Konstantin Frank, but last year's was disappointing and haven't had this year's yet.

Just to pile on the Finger Lakes wines...try some of the whites from Awater Estates...their Riesling and, surprisingly, the vidal blanc are excellent.

Lenn Thompson

Freelance Wine Writer

lenn@lenndevours.com

Visit LENNDEVOURS

If you have access to Rieslings from the Finger Lakes in New York State, you might like them.  We just had a Treleaven Riesling that was surprisingly light, crisp, and fruity. Used to like Dr. Konstantin Frank, but last year's was disappointing and haven't had this year's yet.

Try also some Rieslings from Canada, Niagara Region, as they come in different levels of dryness/sweetness. I am partial to Cave Spring Cellars Riesling.

Bouquet du Vin

http://www.bouquetduvin.com

ameyer@bouquetduvin.com

Many wines come to mind and it is a big world out there:

Chateau Bonnet, Entre-Deux-Mere, Andre Lourton 2002.

Gentil, Hugel, Alsace 2002.

Chenin Blanc Villiera RSA 2003.

Sauvignon Blanc Swartland RSA 2003.

Riesling Annie's Lane Australia 2003.

Foz da Moura, Vinho Regional Ribatejano Bianco, Quinta de Gouxaria, Portugal, 2002.

Albor Bianco, Castilla, Bodegas Artesanas Spain 2002.

Isareali Sauvignon Blanc from 2003.

Lebanese Rose and white wines from the Bekaa ....

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

I had some Macon-Villages which I would classify as "light" within the chardonnay range. Some of them with a slight, interesting touch of oak.

Most Muscadet-de-Sevre-et-Maine, which can go exceptionally well with fish.

And Swiss Chasselas (Nyon, Fendant, Yvorne, many others), of course. :smile:

Some of them have a, light, natural "fizz", are low in acidity and are great aperitif wines. Served together with small pieces of Gruyère, which is a perfect match with the rather austere, not so fruity character Chasselas can have.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Viognier is my latest and greatest. La Frenz Viognier 2003 (Naramata Bench, Okanagan Valley, British Columbia) and Yalumba Y Series Viognier 2003 and 2004 (Barossa Valley, Australia) are the current favourites.

I'm also quite fond of Pierre Sparr Riesling Reserve 2001 (Alsace, France) and Tinhorn Creek Gewürztraminer 2000 (Okanagan Valley, British Columbia).

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Alban 2002 Viognier Edna Valley $28 (although I got it for $20 in SF--very complex & richly flavored w/ a zingy finish)

Omaka Springs 2003 Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough $17 (my favorite NZ '03 SB; fuller in body than some; pineapple notes)

Steele 2002 Pinot Blanc Santa Barbara County $16 (pear/grapefruit flavors, terrific minerality)

Excelsior 2002 Chardonnay Robertson $8 (unoaked chard from S. Afr.; light, lime notes)

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

Alban 2002 Viognier Edna Valley $28 (although I got it for $20 in SF--very complex & richly flavored w/ a zingy finish)

Omaka Springs 2003 Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough $17 (my favorite NZ '03 SB; fuller in body than some; pineapple notes)

Steele 2002 Pinot Blanc Santa Barbara County $16 (pear/grapefruit flavors, terrific minerality)

Excelsior 2002 Chardonnay Robertson $8 (unoaked chard from S. Afr.; light, lime notes)

omaka springs...I've never heard of it (that's not saying much though) I'm excited it sounds goood. :smile:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Omaka Springs was my favorite last summer, the 2003 I think. The 2004 Villa Maria SB is very nice. I agree with "T" on the Feudo d' Elimi.

At the same time as discovering it I also found Cousamano 2003 Insolia, very nice. Didn't like the blend with Chardonay that much though tasted soapy to me. Herr Shanken put it on his top 100 list though.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

• 3 weeks later...
Viognier is my latest and greatest.  La Frenz Viognier 2003 (Naramata Bench, Okanagan Valley, British Columbia) and Yalumba Y Series Viognier 2003 and 2004 (Barossa Valley, Australia) are the current favourites.

I'm also quite fond of Pierre Sparr Riesling Reserve 2001 (Alsace, France) and Tinhorn Creek Gewürztraminer 2000 (Okanagan Valley, British Columbia).

One of the favorites along this line is 2003 Torres Vina Esmeralda $12, 11% Alcohol/Vol., Sugar Content: 1 Penedes, Spain. It's a blend of moscatel and gewürztraminer grapes. I've recommended this pretty sipper vintage after vintage. It's light, floral, zippy and refreshing. Notes of lychee nuts and passion fruit. Perfect with seafood, avocado and pork. Score: 87/100.

Natalie MacLean

Wine Newsletter Writer

www.nataliemaclean.com

i'm about to start a tear through some Friulian tocai and pinot bianco. but haven't begun yet.

otherwise, i'm always a sucker for what little Oregon pinot blanc is around, though that may be more rounded and less acidic than you're seeking. ditto Alsace.

Currently, even with all the ice we're having, the Cuevas de Castilla Rueda, Spain, ‘02 is our #1 selling white. Tough to beat at the price, too. In a recent column about it I wrote:

It runs about $10/btl and $110/cs.  In it you will find a gorgeous, flowery, perfumed bouquet and plenty of citric structure.  Acid balance is spot on, and there is none of that all-too-common malolactic fermentation.

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Some of my favorite light whites are

Trimbach Pinot Gris, smooth, and light, great with shellfish under $20

Hogue Johannisburg Reisling, crisp and fruity, and dry, a steal at 8 or 9$

Mirassou Chardonnay--the lightest chard I've had, very smooth, and fruity, and only 8 or 9$ as well. Just discovered it last week at a tasting. Surprisingly good!

Oh, one more, Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc, crisp, dry, light, another great w/shellfish wine. Usually around 12$ I like their Chardonnay too.

:smile: Pam

I've been drinking a bunch of different light whites recently and I had the pleasure to try a torrontes from mendoza, argentina. It was wonderful. reminded me of a sauv from new zealand, without the stingy pissy flavour (that i love) it was light, lemony crisp and very rasiny/grapey...and cheap! 10 bucks ha! a perfect everyday delight.

anybody have any old or new favorites?

A while back I discovered the Llano Estacado winery in Texas and have become a fan (mostly).

Their Sauvignon Blanc 2003 is very clean tasting with a hint of peach.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

As others have said, the '02 and '03 whites from northern Italy and the Loire offer a lot of pleasure, value, and variety. Some that I've enjoyed recently include:

2003 Francois Cazin Cheverny Le Petit Chambord

2002 Domaine des Aubuisieres Vouvray Cuvee de Silex

2002 Francois Pinon Vouvray Cuvee de Tradition

2002 Cantina Gries Pinot Bianco Alto Adige

2003 Girolamo Dorigo Ribolla Gialla

2002 Doltetto Roero Arneis San Michele

All save the Aubusieres are under $15, and although the Aubusieres tips the scale at about $20, it has a wonderfully rich chenin blanc character that suggests graceful aging for a few years.

I particularly like the Doltetto, as I'd never had a wine made from the Piemonte arneis before and it matches very well with a wide range of foods.

In any case, a lot of excellent lighter-bodied whites out there, discovering more all the time.

Cheers,

Tom

Many of my favorites have been mentioned (Kim Crawford SB, Pierre Sparr gewurtz). As far as bang-per-buck, though: I get Aveleda Vinho Verde for US$3.49 per (by the case). Light, a bit fizzy, low alcohol, goes with many light dishes - or none. You won't feel compelled to write tasting notes. But you'll probably open another the next evening.