• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

quiz on dining cultures

I'm not saying how bad i did, let's just say I'd insult a few people.  I've also been taught that you must eat all of your rice in your dish.  It's bad luck if you don't.  That one made no sense to me :hmmm:

I made some lucky guesses, so I didn't actually do well on the quiz either. I think everyone who got the China question wrong should add 1 extra point to their score. :biggrin:

I am allowed to leave the country... :biggrin: and ...go to China I had read a novel about Hong Kong years ago that said at the end of a banquet the rice ise is brought out but no one really eats it to signify that they are satisfied....

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Re: The Iran question

WTF is the difference between a right- and left-handed fork?!

EDIT: Heh. Oops. Never mind. Posted this before I read the answer. :wacko::wacko:

EDIT 2: p.s. 7 out of 11 - I suck!

Edited by bleachboy (log)

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

I am allowed to leave the country... :biggrin:  and ...go to China  I had read a novel about Hong Kong years ago that said at the end of a banquet the rice ise is brought out but no one really eats it to signify that they are satisfied....

Tracey

It's fried rice and noodles that are served at the end...I was assuming the quiz meant the everyday white rice served with the side dishes.

9/11. Never been to a Spanish snackbar. Don't know my Polish lore.

That was fun tho!

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

missed one... Scotland... i mean, like c'mon... dinner for lunch??

tea for dinner??... even some aussies still call dinner 'tea'....

and it shold read, no time is ever a good time for homework.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

10/11 for me. Woohooo

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I am allowed to leave the country... :biggrin:  and ...go to China  I had read a novel about Hong Kong years ago that said at the end of a banquet the rice ise is brought out but no one really eats it to signify that they are satisfied....

Tracey

It's fried rice and noodles that are served at the end...I was assuming the quiz meant the everyday white rice served with the side dishes.

the fried rice and noodles served at the end are just plain yucky.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Missed Poland, England, and Spain. Throw the food on the floor? Americans aren't boorish for eating fried chicken with their fingers?

Remembered the China one from The Joy Luck Club.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

The China one is wrong.

You're supposed to finish your rice.

I'm of Chinese descent and that was what I was told too.

Finish your Rice or your future spouse will have bad complexion.

missed one... Scotland... i mean, like c'mon... dinner for lunch??

tea for dinner??... even some aussies still call dinner 'tea'....

and it shold read, no time is ever a good time for homework.

Is that the "supper/dinner" thing? So the evening meal is supper?

Seem to remember something vaguely like that from my (long-ago :raz: ) childhood.

V

• 3 weeks later...

nerdgirl- It's okay. My husband is German and was flummoxed over the potato question. I mean, the answer was obvious, just from the way the choices were laid out, but he hasn't heard of it. We're both wondering if it isn't a Bavarian tradition. (Bavaria = place where most foreigners visit, and so people come away with the idea that the entire country must be that way. :rolleyes: ) He also said, and I quote, "maybe it's something old people do?" heh.

Germans overwhelmingly use both utensils at once, in European style. I notice this (as an observant foodie, and outsider American), and have followed suit. And I know it said 'snooty restaurants', but his family is easily upper middle class, and we have visited some excellent restaurants when we are there.

Okay, maybe I'm just a little bitter than I scored so poorly. :laugh: 7/11 !

• 2 weeks later...
The China one is wrong.

You're supposed to finish your rice.

I'm of Chinese descent and that was what I was told too.

Finish your Rice or your future spouse will have bad complexion.

I thought you can't waste any rice (gotta finish it) as wasting rice is considered a bad thing in chinese culture. It signifies you may not have rice to eat next time, i think.